• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton could be a roster replacement for Fraley. But I am seeing all these projected rosters that have Torrens making the roster but I don’t see where he fits. He isn’t a bad a player but you can’t carry a dude who can only be a DH vs lefties.
I believe he can play 3B and 1B in a pinch as well as 3rd string catcher. I like his bat in a platoon.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been trying to bite my lip and see how things unfold. That and Iife is busy with a newborn and I usually dont feel like posting from my phone.

Regardless I think its ok to have the opinion of liking the Ray signing and liking the Winker/Suarez trade and still be disappointed that the offseason wasnt more productive and annoyed that they promised to be active this free agent period and really havent been. I think all of those things are true.

I agree that Dipoto's mouth is what annoys me as much as anything about him. This is a direct quote from him in 2019:
"Our goal was to set ourselves as most flexible from an age from a system from a payroll perspective so we could be in that 2021 launch. That gives us incredible spending power in the free agent market at a time when some of the best players of this generation might be available in free agency."

If we offered Correa what the Twins did or even a little more and he rejected it then fine, Ill be a little more sympathetic. But every indication has been they were never in on him and used J.P. Crawford not moving from SS as an excuse to make every effort to get some of these bats that would have really improved the team.

I agree that the Bryant contract was probably a reach by the Rockies but even so, you are committed to extremely limited payroll. Last year was an extremely low payroll and between the additions and subtractions you have literally increased it by 7 fucking million. That's it. I mean are we just gonna be the Rays now payroll wise? Is that just who we are? Because all the excuses of not spending previous offseasons to save for this one just turned out to be another excuse and crock of shit lie from this organization.

Spending isnt the end all be all but the bottom line is there are still many holes on this roster that you could have filled without dealing from organizational depth. In the end, if you are gonna spend this little and still not win then its a huge problem. If they win 95-100 games this year, then Ill apologize but they have won that much once in 45 years so sorry that I dont have faith. We are looking at another 85 win and hope to get lucky model in my eyes.

Sorry rant over
I won't even try to respond because you said it better than I ever could.

M's could have actually signed the Top 3 contracts given out this year plus their other additions and still been under luxury tax. I wasn't even asking for that. Just something for all the reasons you listed.

My pet peeve before I let it go. I listen to a group complain for years about M's being cheap, then when they don't sign a guy it automatically becomes I don't blame them for spending that money. Not your money and the cost is the cost. Be a top organization or be the Rays and A's with far less talent evaluators. Just stop telling us how you are positioning yourself for the market in the future and then the future you mentioned comes and goes with nothing done.

Finally and most importantly: Congrats on the new baby. My baby turns 28 tomorrow. Enjoy every minute of it. I did.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Justin Dunn (shoulder) is expected to miss the first couple months of the 2022 season.​

Dunn was just acquired from the Mariners as part of the Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suarez trade, but he brought him with a shoulder injury that has been lingering since last June. The 26-year-old right-hander may wind up going a full calendar year between major league appearances.

srf1957

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to the announcers of todays preseason game . jerry must give them a script. . Saying how great Dylan is and can spell out in CF . I don't know what they are snorting . Have no concept of reality .

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe he can play 3B and 1B in a pinch as well as 3rd string catcher. I like his bat in a platoon.
He sucks as a catcher and 1B. I don’t disagree with his bat being valuable but IMO he takes up two roster spots now that they have Winker. IMO the roster is weaker having both he and Murphy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sucks as a catcher and 1B. I don’t disagree with his bat being valuable but IMO he takes up two roster spots now that they have Winker. IMO the roster is weaker having both he and Murphy.
I guess I see it like this; I have seen many of players suck at their positions on this team who couldn't hit so this is an upgrade...lol.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Justin Dunn (shoulder) is expected to miss the first couple months of the 2022 season.​

Dunn was just acquired from the Mariners as part of the Jesse Winker and Eugenio Suarez trade, but he brought him with a shoulder injury that has been lingering since last June. The 26-year-old right-hander may wind up going a full calendar year between major league appearances.

Damn we really dodged a bullet with that one

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Dunn could be special, but unfortunately I don't think he will ever be healthy long enough to prove it.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cinnci....expected rotation
Luis Castillo 58...who will miss the start as well....
Nick Lodolo 40..dont make no mistake....he goes here
Tyler Mahle 30
Mike Minor 31..i did not see this...but it does not srprise..me//i know there is a conection..to KC
Brandon Williamson 96..and he goes here
Vladimir Gutierrez 53
and
dunn..is here...they have a few...troubles...yeah..so does everyone...
that is 8..the right amount...

bull..pen..who is awsome...

Luis Cessa 85
Tony Santillan 64
these 2 guys where acuired..from yankees..last year..and help keep...my fantasy team...on top..they good
Art Warren 77..ex mariner...he is injured..so often...he is hard to ..count on
Justin Wilson 34..has been good...eceptlast year........
Dauri Moreta 55new
Tejay Antone 70 new

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reds are not hurting they have what they need...mabe one more..right field....yeah..
but like the mariners..a lot of there..guys..are..new and from..the minors but they had ..them already..
and traded..for..them..

unlike..oakland...whoes minors....just..went to.....well..you know what..
and with stadium troubles....and loction troubles...who can blame them..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stupidest..rotation on the planet...ulmax award...baltimore..
John Means 47L/L6' 3"23504/24/1993
Jordan Lyles
Jordan Lyles 28R/R6' 5"23010/19/1990
Bruce Zimmermann
Bruce Zimmermann 50L/L6' 1"21502/09/1995
Keegan Akin
Keegan Akin 45L/L5' 11"23504/01/1995
Zac Lowther
Zac Lowther 59L/L6' 2"23504/30/1996
Jorge López
Jorge López 48R/R6' 3"20002/10/1993
Dean Kremer
Dean Kremer 64

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thing that hasn't been talked about is the big differences in numbers we offered. I looked at a lot of arb numbers from players and teams across the league and they are typically so close. Ours are in different millions. I think that shows why free agency doesn't go well for us. We think we are making a fair offer, but usually aren't in the right zip code far as money goes. I think is telling, but then again I have zero faith in this organization.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thing that hasn't been talked about is the big differences in numbers we offered. I looked at a lot of arb numbers from players and teams across the league and they are typically so close. Ours are in different millions. I think that shows why free agency doesn't go well for us. We think we are making a fair offer, but usually aren't in the right zip code far as money goes. I think is telling, but then again I have zero faith in this organization.
I will defend the organization on Haniger and Winker. Neither has honestly shown they are worth that in free agency unless it is a 1 year deal. Frazier I think has enough of a resume to not get low balled. It isn’t a good look and shines a little spot light into whether fair or not free agent bats have Seattle low on the totem pole.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will defend the organization on Haniger and Winker. Neither has honestly shown they are worth that in free agency unless it is a 1 year deal. Frazier I think has enough of a resume to not get low balled. It isn’t a good look and shines a little spot light into whether fair or not free agent bats have Seattle low on the totem pole.
I don't know if players are right or teams are, but 95% of others I saw herewith a few hundred thousand. Seattle was one of the few if not only to be a million plus away. I just don't think they know the market.

Just looked it up. Seattle has 3 of the Top 6 in margin difference.

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if players are right or teams are, but 95% of others I saw herewith a few hundred thousand. Seattle was one of the few if not only to be a million plus away. I just don't think they know the market.

Just looked it up. Seattle has 3 of the Top 6 in margin difference.
I agree with you and I am starting to think that that might be an issue with this rebuild ever being anything other than a rebuild. But on that same note it is really hard to justify Haniger and Winker getting the arbitration numbers they want because there isn’t a legit body of work. But I also think the players should’ve gotten rid of arbitration and went for a progression system.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think Dunn could be special, but unfortunately I don't think he will ever be healthy long enough to prove it.

Yeah at this point I think his best bet is to be a bullpen maybe long relief pitcher but most likely not an all star starting caliber pitcher.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't listen to podcast, but posting this for anyone who does.