• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sp letting him walk after the season for nothing is a better option? You would still need to replace his bat a year later and you got zip for him. Arod situation all over again. One injury away and he doesn't even give you a full year.

I think Arod was on a mission to test free agency and get the biggest contract that would break records. If Mitch made it clear he wants to test free agency then I would say look into what we could get for him but I think we need to sign him to an extension. We need veteran leadership on the team and Seattle isn't exactly a destination free agents want to play for unless we over pay them.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those were the two most realistic in my mind. Getting Bart from SF would be a long shot since they refused to deal him in the Bryant trade.

As far as 2022 goes, trading Haniger is one step back but signing a 3rd bat this year and trading prospects for another bat or two would be two or three steps forward. Getting Michael Garciaparra for AFraud still kills me to this day. Haniger has a tenth of the value AFraud had, but something is better than nothing.
Im no expert but I just dont have a great feeling about Bart either. We will see how it plays out tho.

As far as Haniger goes I dont think his value is super high, but if we take on money (like that Kimbrel trade or the Bellinger idea) it should work.

As for Michael, he's lucky his last name got him paid a little

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Arod was on a mission to test free agency and get the biggest contract that would break records. If Mitch made it clear he wants to test free agency then I would say look into what we could get for him but I think we need to sign him to an extension. We need veteran leadership on the team and Seattle isn't exactly a destination free agents want to play for unless we over pay them.
I think that's partially true but I also think the Mariners didnt make a serious effort. Their offer was I think 5 years or less, cant remember.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read and don't read it seems Haniger is on a mission to leave. A guy with his injury history who isn't calling daily to sign an extension tells me he wants to move on. After all those years of mismanagement, I can't blame him for his feelings. If he decides to extend, great. But the worst thing is him walking for nothing in return.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read and don't read it seems Haniger is on a mission to leave. A guy with his injury history who isn't calling daily to sign an extension tells me he wants to move on. After all those years of mismanagement, I can't blame him for his feelings. If he decides to extend, great. But the worst thing is him walking for nothing in return.
I truly think you are over valuing Haniger. He isn’t going to get a huge payday on the free agent market unless he goes off this year. Which in case is better for the Mariners to keep him rather than trade him. While getting something is better than nothing is true, as you laid out in your predictions it really is nothing because they have to add a prospect to package with him to get anything. If you want a football comparison I think he is KJ Wright

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly think you are over valuing Haniger. He isn’t going to get a huge payday on the free agent market unless he goes off this year. Which in case is better for the Mariners to keep him rather than trade him. While getting something is better than nothing is true, as you laid out in your predictions it really is nothing because they have to add a prospect to package with him to get anything. If you want a football comparison I think he is KJ Wright
Disagree.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about years of mismanagement I think the Seattle Mariners was the best thing that ever happened to Mitch Haniger. He was looked at as damaged goods in Arizona and we believed/traded for him then when he was injured the organization still stuck by him and he was able to bounce back with an awesome season.

At the same time if his feelings are "I'm out of here I'm testing free agency" then I agree I am not sure if we would get any kind of comp pick but it seems that players with those comp pick tags don't get signed all offseason until right before the season starts and the tag gets lifted.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's partially true but I also think the Mariners didnt make a serious effort. Their offer was I think 5 years or less, cant remember.

I mean what could they really do with what he was wanting? I read somewhere that the owner or maybe the GM said one of the biggest regrets he had was signing Arod to that money because it was nothing but a nightmare of what it was to have him on your team. I think even the Yankees were at their limit with him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about years of mismanagement I think the Seattle Mariners was the best thing that ever happened to Mitch Haniger. He was looked at as damaged goods in Arizona and we believed/traded for him then when he was injured the organization still stuck by him and he was able to bounce back with an awesome season.

At the same time if his feelings are "I'm out of here I'm testing free agency" then I agree I am not sure if we would get any kind of comp pick but it seems that players with those comp pick tags don't get signed all offseason until right before the season starts and the tag gets lifted.
You don't know if the Mariners have been mismanaged over the years? I have literally never heard anyone say that, but ok.

Comp picks are part of the CBA and right now the CBA is not agreed upon. They may do away with comp picks all together. I know players hate it for the reason you gave.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For you Dave Cameron fans.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyway...ya ....top 10...RF....is..market value...at least..........plus...x...then..plus x again...for top spots..in 2 catagorys...for sure over 20 mil..
rbis...3rd
PLAYERTEAMG
AB
R
H
2B
3B
HR

RBI
BB
SO
SB
CS
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS
TeoscarHernandez
RF
TOR143550921632903211636148124.296.346.524.870
NickCastellanos
RF
CIN13853195164381341004112131.309.362.576.938
MitchHaniger
RF
SEA157620110157232391005416910.253.318.485.803

HRS..1st
PLAYERTEAMG
AB
R
H
2B
3B

HR
RBI
BB
SO
SB
CS
AVG
OBP
SLG
OPS
MitchHaniger
RF
SEA157620110157232391005416910.253.318.485.803
AaronJudge
RF
NYY1485508915824039987515861.287.373.544.917
BryceHarper
RF
PHI1414881011514213584100134133.309.429.615
no one else....is saying.....haniger,.....is not starstud.....just our ...guys

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if ya have to know where...he could do....better/////try strike outs.....and bases...on ball.s..should be more....which..effect his ave..

but i have to say....that is not...

a prob for me....he should be better....after...2021..and..2020***pademick asterisk...we were hoping..for a normal..year..but..no.......

but maybe..it is better...to get the probs out of the way...........so people can enjoy baseball....

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but show me where...judge...and harper...are not star studs....cuz they cant...keep up...with haniger.....no...no one is saying that...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haniger Trade Ideas:

To White Sox for 3B Prospect (#3 WS) Jake Burger and Craig Kimbrel

Load up our pen and get a 3B prospect ready to play up or AAA. Todd Frazier comparisons.

--------------------

To Giants for C Joey Bart (#2 SF/#16 MLB)

Throw in Murphy and get another lower prospect back

---------------------

To Dodgers for Bellinger and a prospect or two

Gets us a CF. Talented player coming off a bad year. Worth the risk but prospects need to be a Top 5 and a Top 20.

--------------------
This from a Brewers Page.

Brewers receive: OF Mitch Haniger, LHP Aaron Fletcher

Mariners Receive: P Adrian Houser

I say hard pass.

----------------------

I am sure there are better deals out there, but these come to my bored mind.
if they are..not in..the playoff hunt....yah...maybe and probably....but i dont think that will be the case....where else...do you get...a top...10...RF..
no where...........unless it is bottom 10 teams.....or free agents.....and that...is a toss up....

where mariners would be lucky to get bryant...............

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know if the Mariners have been mismanaged over the years? I have literally never heard anyone say that, but ok.

Comp picks are part of the CBA and right now the CBA is not agreed upon. They may do away with comp picks all together. I know players hate it for the reason you gave.

So you just took what I said out of context. I said I don't think the Mariners had mismanaged Mitch Haniger over the years and they were the best thing to happen to him in HIS career. I really believe Mitch would just be a platoon player somewhere and not what he is today if not for the Mariners. Personally I think Jerry Dipoto has done a great job I'll argue that with anyone. When he took over in 2016 he has built one of the best farm systems in baseball including the #1 overall prospect in Julio Rodriguez, plenty of cap space, and was only 2 games away from making the playoffs with a mega young team. All of his moves weren't perfect but I think he has paved a bright future for the organization.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
long years ago...you could see these...guys....down...on hosmer street...in tacoma....