• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Patriots News

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been reading too much recently because there's little else to do. A few of the articles I've been reading were talking specifically about the automatic 5th year option for first round picks in the NFL and that some players have questioned the legality of it because it doesn't apply equally across the board.

Some legal scholars have looked at it very closely and more than a few believe it is discriminatory and it is in direct violation of constitutional law. the NFL directly discriminates against players that are not first round picks.

The league would have a very hard time as would the NFLPA defending it in court because not every first round pick has the 5th year option accepted by every team. Yet throw many players taken in round 2 through 7 have had the franchise tag slapped on them in year four or five??

Every one you can state what you think. I'm just repeating what I've read. I'm not a lawyer or legal expert. But I can see these arguments and I can see them getting before the Supreme Court regardless of a CBA or a handshake and a wink.

But you realize the CBA was put together by a bunch of lawyers right? Both sides have had lawyers look at it and found it written in a way worthy of a vote by both sides. I doubt these high priced lawyers would be willing to take this to their clients if they thought the courts would just throw it out later on for breaking constitutional law.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read another small article today about the Patriots having a uniform change this season. Does anyone know for sure if this is true? I haven’t seen any pics or actual proof of said change. Maybe changing things up to kick off the Brady-less Patriots?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you realize the CBA was put together by a bunch of lawyers right? Both sides have had lawyers look at it and found it written in a way worthy of a vote by both sides. I doubt these high priced lawyers would be willing to take this to their clients if they thought the courts would just throw it out later on for breaking constitutional law.

CD, I'm not going to argue law with you or anything else. You have your opinion and I have no issue with them. Being a high priced lawyer is no different than being a high priced fashion designer. Your good at what you do and you get paid for it. My guess is that not one of those high priced lawyers have ever argued a case of Constitutionality. They're looking at what fits best and is legal from a general point of law.

I'm ending this here......I've never in my 70 years seen a corporate lawyer appointed to the high bench.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CD, I'm not going to argue law with you or anything else. You have your opinion and I have no issue with them. Being a high priced lawyer is no different than being a high priced fashion designer. Your good at what you do and you get paid for it. My guess is that not one of those high priced lawyers have ever argued a case of Constitutionality. They're looking at what fits best and is legal from a general point of law.

I'm ending this here......I've never in my 70 years seen a corporate lawyer appointed to the high bench.

I guess we will see how this plays out. I just know that in the NFL a star QB has more power than a Head Coach or even a GM. Heck even Belichick saw his wishes squelched when he was ready to move on from Brady and turn towards Jimmy G. Kraft stepped in and said no.

Heck even above average QB's wield more power than a head coach. I watched Jay Cutler get a bunch of head coaches fired because the owner always believed the problem wasn't the QB but the coach. So I would bet Bill O'Brien is gone before Watson could ever be let to walk.

Also Chiefs and Mahomes have already started contract negotiations. They want to get something done sooner than later. Both sides seem motivated so Mahomes for sure is not going anywhere. Watson I won't say never just because O'Brien is well one of the worst GM's in football and has more power than people thought at this time. I also do know that Watson has been telling players to steer clear of Houston. Not sure if that is to try and get O'Brien fired or be able to try and make the team trade him at some point. To me if Watson leaves it will be in a trade rather than as a Free Agent. Only QB's that have injury history or are aging hit the market that are great.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The constitutionality of collective bargaining agreements has been well-established for like 85 years now.

The chances of the SCOTUS listening to a case that challenges the Constitutionality of a CBA ratified by both parties is lower than the chances of Mahomes in a Pats uni.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Mahomes and Watson will have no problem building their brand. And if they go anywhere I doubt Boston is at the top of the list of places to go build your brand. New York, Miami, LA, Vegas, Dallas, Washington D.C., and heck Houston are all bigger tv markets for these players to go to.

It's not just the size of the overall market, it's the size of the sports market. Some of the bigger markets don't have the sports passion that some of the smaller markets have. I'm not saying you are entirely wrong, but the market specific to sports matters too.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just the size of the overall market, it's the size of the sports market. Some of the bigger markets don't have the sports passion that some of the smaller markets have. I'm not saying you are entirely wrong, but the market specific to sports matters too.

I don't disagree with you. And I do think it is different in the NFL compared to other sports when it comes to the marketing side of things. Team loyalty from a star is huge for fans when buying memorabilia.

I mostly was just trying to point BigKen to the idea that thinking Boston somehow lands one of these two in FA because they are a big market compared to say Kansas City just won't be the case. If market size is what matters then there are a heck of a lot of other teams that will have first dibs.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chances of the SCOTUS listening to a case that challenges the Constitutionality of a CBA ratified by both parties is lower than the chances of Mahomes in a Pats uni.

I've spent many a day in the courts. I've seen some pretty screwy crap and I've seen even crazier judgments. There is no law or that can withstand every legal test.

The greatest scientific engineers will tell you that not a single building ever built is perfect. The perfect temp, perfect humidity, and perfect wind coming from the perfect direction will topple even the perfect structure.

Given the perfect argument, a 100-year old standard will wilt from the heat.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've spent many a day in the courts. I've seen some pretty screwy crap and I've seen even crazier judgments. There is no law or that can withstand every legal test.

The greatest scientific engineers will tell you that not a single building ever built is perfect. The perfect temp, perfect humidity, and perfect wind coming from the perfect direction will topple even the perfect structure.

Given the perfect argument, a 100-year old standard will wilt from the heat.
I will bet you double or nothing on the case you owe me for BB coaching the Pats last year that the SCOTUS will NEVER hear a case relating to the 5th year option.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree with you. And I do think it is different in the NFL compared to other sports when it comes to the marketing side of things. Team loyalty from a star is huge for fans when buying memorabilia.

I mostly was just trying to point BigKen to the idea that thinking Boston somehow lands one of these two in FA because they are a big market compared to say Kansas City just won't be the case. If market size is what matters then there are a heck of a lot of other teams that will have first dibs.
Also, you reallllly should try google before posting. It's your friend.

Would it surprise you that the Boston TV market is virtually tied for fourth place, along with about 7 other markets? I'm not saying it compares with NY or LA, but where does (other than NY and LA)? Chicago isn't that far ahead in the third slot either, but far enough that I didn't round up and declare Boston virtually tied for third. But if you look through the list Boston would be very desirable based on the sports passion and market position.... But there are a lot of factors involved and sometimes the passion of the area actually turns some free agents off, as does Philly and NY.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, you reallllly should try google before posting. It's your friend.

Would it surprise you that the Boston TV market is virtually tied for fourth place, along with about 7 other markets? I'm not saying it compares with NY or LA, but where does (other than NY and LA)? Chicago isn't that far ahead in the third slot either, but far enough that I didn't round up and declare Boston virtually tied for third. But if you look through the list Boston would be very desirable based on the sports passion and market position.... But there are a lot of factors involved and sometimes the passion of the area actually turns some free agents off, as does Philly and NY.

I used google. Obviously we looked at different articles.

Nielsen DMA Rankings 2020 - MediaTracks Communications

So guess depends who you look at. Those are the Nielsen rankings which are usually the official ones.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used google. Obviously we looked at different articles.

Nielsen DMA Rankings 2020 - MediaTracks Communications

So guess depends who you look at. Those are the Nielsen rankings which are usually the official ones.
You can't just read the number on the left, you also need to read the numbers on the right that show 10 through 4 being virtually the same. Maybe carve out 4, but the market size of any of these markets isn't drastically different.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will bet you double or nothing on the case you owe me for BB coaching the Pats last year that the SCOTUS will NEVER hear a case relating to the 5th year option.

Think we'll live that long? I'm talking about SCOTUS. If we cross paths, I'd celebrate buying you a case of your favorite.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to keep things on track.......................

Patriots unrestricted free agents
QB Tom Brady: Profile | Status: Signed by Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-year, $50MM)

LB Shilique Calhoun: Profile | Status: Re-signed

LB Jamie Collins Sr: Profile | Status: Signed by Detroit Lions (3-year, $30MM)

WR Phillip Dorsett II: Profile | Status: Signed by Seattle Seahawks (1-year)

SS Nate Ebner: Profile | Status: Signed by New York Giants (1-year)

OG James Ferentz: Profile | Status: TBD

K Nick Folk: Profile | Status: TBD

OC Ted Karras: Profile | Status: Signed by Miami Dolphins (1-year, $4MM)

FS Devin McCourty: Profile | Status: Signed to 2-year, $23MM extension

OT Marshall Newhouse: Profile | Status: TBD

LB Elandon Roberts: Profile | Status: Signed by Miami Dolphins (1-year)

DT Danny Shelton: Profile | Status: Signed by Detroit Lions (2-year, $8MM)

WR Matthew Slater: Profile | Status: Signed to 2-year, $5.3MM extension

OG Joe Thuney: Profile | Status: Franchise-tagged

LB Kyle Van Noy: Profile | Status: Signed by Miami Dolphins (4-year, $51MM)

TE Benjamin Watson: Profile | Status: Retired

Patriots restricted free agents
DT Adam Butler: Profile | Status: Tendered at second-round level

OG Jermaine Eluemunor: Profile | Status: Tendered at original-round level

Patriots exclusive rights free agents
DE Keionta Davis: Profile | Status: Re-signed

Patriots acquisitions
CB Lenzy Pipkins: Signed to 1-year, $665K free agency contract

WR Damiere Byrd: Signed to 1-year, $1.35MM free agency contract

DT Beau Allen: Signed to 2-year, $8MM free agency contract

SS Adrian Phillips: Signed to 2-year, $7.5MM free agency contract

FB Danny Vitale: Signed to free agency contract

QB Brian Hoyer: Signed to 1-year, $1.05 million free agency contract

LB Brandon Copeland: Signed to 1-year, $1.05MM free agency contract

SS Cody Davis: Signed to 1-year, $1.5MM free agency contract

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't just read the number on the left, you also need to read the numbers on the right that show 10 through 4 being virtually the same. Maybe carve out 4, but the market size of any of these markets isn't drastically different.

So what I was right and can do google but somehow wrong because they are all close in market size?

Honestly the market size is not the main issue I thought we were talking about anyway. It is mostly that these two QB's are not going to move teams based on market they play in. Houston has a pretty big tv market so that isn't an issue and honestly the KC market is much bigger than just the KC area. I live in Kansas and even though we are closer to Denver where I am at this town is still a Chiefs town. So the entire state of Kansas, Missouri, and parts of other states make up the market. It is why teams like the Chiefs and Broncos have such a big tv market is because there is no one competing with them for market unlike the East Coast where teams are closely bunched together.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what I was right and can do google but somehow wrong because they are all close in market size?

Honestly the market size is not the main issue I thought we were talking about anyway. It is mostly that these two QB's are not going to move teams based on market they play in. Houston has a pretty big tv market so that isn't an issue and honestly the KC market is much bigger than just the KC area. I live in Kansas and even though we are closer to Denver where I am at this town is still a Chiefs town. So the entire state of Kansas, Missouri, and parts of other states make up the market. It is why teams like the Chiefs and Broncos have such a big tv market is because there is no one competing with them for market unlike the East Coast where teams are closely bunched together.
My bad, for some reason I thought Maine, New Hampshire Vermont, Rhode Island and half of Connecticut rooted for the Pats along with Massachusetts. Sorry, I should know your points always have merit above everyone else.

I get that you have tons of exposure "covering the NFL", but you always seem to think every part of your analysis is better than everyone else's. I along with most here don't compete to be the A1 smartest bulb on every tree, but if this were baseball, you wouldn't get many off speed pitches by us. I'm not trying to shew you off, I'd just like a lot less of the "trust me, I know" attitude.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, for some reason I thought Maine, New Hampshire Vermont, Rhode Island and half of Connecticut rooted for the Pats along with Massachusetts. Sorry, I should know your points always have merit above everyone else.

I get that you have tons of exposure "covering the NFL", but you always seem to think every part of your analysis is better than everyone else's. I along with most here don't compete to be the A1 smartest bulb on every tree, but if this were baseball, you wouldn't get many off speed pitches by us. I'm not trying to shew you off, I'd just like a lot less of the "trust me, I know" attitude.

So you are the one that tells me to learn to use Google and I'm the one being called out here for attitude? Then show where I got my information using Google and somehow even though I'm right I'm the one being told to humble myself. It wasn't even My information and me telling you to trust me. It was a reliable source. Whatever. Maybe next time before telling someone to learn to use Google you should make sure you are right.