• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do think they will try to bring him back with some salary cap gymnastics

Ok. Again i DO want Armstead and do wish we could retain him.

Just that after looking at the cap numbers, don't see it working out? The only way it might work is if signs for much less than his market value. He could still get a little more than last year, but his market rate.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the clock, either need to sign him or trade him soon!?!!

Armstead is a free agent so can't be traded. The options are sign him, tag him, or let him walk.

Same options with Sanders, Ward, and for that matter Blair, Day, Coleman, Garland, Mathews, Verret, Toilolo, and Damontre Moore.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. Again i DO want Armstead and do wish we could retain him.

Just that after looking at the cap numbers, don't see it working out? The only way it might work is if signs for much less than his market value. He could still get a little more than last year, but his market rate.

I expect a few guys like McKinnon and Goodwin to be out the door to clear up some cap space.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I expect a few guys like McKinnon and Goodwin to be out the door to clear up some cap space.

Yeah, these guys will be gone for sure, but i still read this won't be enough to cover Armstead and others. There will still be tough decisions to make including Solomon Thomas. Speaking of which, too bad for us as Soloman Thomas was supposed to fill the role Armstead has.....set the edge outside and rush from inside.

Not to say we're in bad cap shape now, just that Buckner and Kittle are more critical and driving the decisions. Lynch needs to plan this 2-3 years ahead so extending one now is better.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, these guys will be gone for sure, but i still read this won't be enough to cover Armstead and others. There will still be tough decisions to make including Solomon Thomas. Speaking of which, too bad for us as Soloman Thomas was supposed to fill the role Armstead has.....set the edge outside and rush from inside.

Not to say we're in bad cap shape now, just that Buckner and Kittle are more critical and driving the decisions. Lynch needs to plan this 2-3 years ahead so extending one now is better.

Kitties number will increase more by % than Buckner's because he is in his rookie contract and has outperformed it by a long shot. I think the thing to do is rework Garoppolo to increase his remaining guaranteed money but lowering his cap hit. I don't think he has much of any money left that is guaranteed.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also I think moving on fro. Thomas via a trade for likely a late round pick to save nearly 9 million would be good move or an out right release.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kitties number will increase more by % than Buckner's because he is in his rookie contract and has outperformed it by a long shot. I think the thing to do is rework Garoppolo to increase his remaining guaranteed money but lowering his cap hit. I don't think he has much of any money left that is guaranteed.

Yeah, this is what teams do when they're more up against the cap wall. Lynch confirmed we're not against the wall right now, but i'd be ok if he did this.

Don't know JG's contract situation, but IF this is true, i'd be ok with committing more guarantee to him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is what teams do when they're more up against the cap wall. Lynch confirmed we're not against the wall right now, but i'd be ok if he did this.

Don't know JG's contract situation, but IF this is true, i'd be ok with committing more guarantee to him.

I looked it up he basically has 4 million or less this year and less each of the following years. So giving him more guaranteed to free up cap space would be a good place to start and moving on from Thomas.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I looked it up he basically has 4 million or less this year and less each of the following years. So giving him more guaranteed to free up cap space would be a good place to start and moving on from Thomas.

oh ok.

Yeah, if Lynch opened cap space by using JG's contract, fine with me. Not worried JG go downhill and be a cap detriment.....ala Goff. Wow, what a mess the Rams are facing, ah shucks!

The Rams were really good two years ago, so goes to show the window can be small if you don't draft well.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Thomas, McKinnon, and Goodwin would save 12 million dollars.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Moving Thomas, McKinnon, and Goodwin would save 12 million dollars.

That helps for sure but still not enough to extend Kittle or Buckner, then keep our key FA's.

Restructuring JG is possible too, but wouldn't want to do this unless really necessary? Difficult decisions as Lynch said, but that's the way it goes with salary cap. Next off-season we'll likely need to restructure him to keep Kittle or Buckner, and key FA's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers' potential 2020 cap casualties

Interesting that this writer sees Tevin Coleman as a potential cap casualty. Due to the need to sign others, i'm ok with this.

Very unfortunate with McKinnen but does anyone see him outperforming Mostert? IF not, his cap hit is way too large, he's an easy cut. So if both McKinnen and Colemen are gone, look for a cheap FA or draft one late.

Too bad Breida had fumble issues, i think he's really good for this type of running scheme.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm in favor of a sign and trade type deal with Armstead similar to what was done with Ford.

hey now, this guy agrees with you.

https://www.************.com/commen...forward-armstead-should-maximize-trade-value/

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doing some research and don't see any other teams that are visibly going for Armstead..!?!

I'm sure teams are talking now, just not making it public yet.

That's the chance we take in tagging him, if he signs the tag then he counts $19M against the cap. IF no one can work out a deal with Armstead, we might end up keeping him one year. Having Armstead another year isn't a problem, but this means other 49er's won't get extended or re-signed.