• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Above say Armstead leaves for 14 million a year and we lose 10 sacks, what is the next starter going to get in this D? 6,7?? Save money get faster, younger and more draft picks!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Above say Armstead leaves for 14 million a year and we lose 10 sacks, what is the next starter going to get in this D? 6,7?? Save money get faster, younger and more draft picks!!

In an ideal world we get younger, cheaper, and get just as much production. Armstead is also good against the run, probably more consistent than pass rushing? But how do we know the younger guy will produce if at all? If he does produce, how long before he does so? Armstead himself took awhile.

This isn't saying lets keep Armstead, we all know this is unlikely not because we can't fit him, but we have bigger fish to fit.

Similar with Ward, on paper its easy to draft a Safety with measurables, but Tavarious Moore has measurements too. But Moore's instincts reduce his measureables, negating it even?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/gal...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Wow, more tough decisions on the role players, and back-ups.

After going down this list, more so i think Armstead is gone.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an ideal world we get younger, cheaper, and get just as much production. Armstead is also good against the run, probably more consistent than pass rushing? But how do we know the younger guy will produce if at all? If he does produce, how long before he does so? Armstead himself took awhile.

This isn't saying lets keep Armstead, we all know this is unlikely not because we can't fit him, but we have bigger fish to fit.

Similar with Ward, on paper its easy to draft a Safety with measurables, but Tavarious Moore has measurements too. But Moore's instincts reduce his measureables, negating it even?

One difference between when Armstead was drafted to a young DE now is, Buckner, Ford and Bosa. Way better d-line will make for an easier adjustment and better chance at producing.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One difference between when Armstead was drafted to a young DE now is, Buckner, Ford and Bosa. Way better d-line will make for an easier adjustment and better chance at producing.

I'm in favor of a sign and trade type deal with Armstead similar to what was done with Ford.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm in favor of a sign and trade type deal with Armstead similar to what was done with Ford.

This is ok but you have to sign him first. If we were able to sign him first, we'd likely just keep him?

Anyway, say you do sign him, next another team will need accept his new contract. When other teams do their due diligence, they'll know his history isn't consistent and who he's been playing next to. A top pass rusher like Ford was much easier to trade.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is ok but you have to sign him first. If we were able to sign him first, we'd likely just keep him?

Anyway, say you do sign him, next another team will need accept his new contract. When other teams do their due diligence, they'll know his history isn't consistent and who he's been playing next to. A top pass rusher like Ford was much easier to trade.

Yes but Armstead will have value I believe Ford was franchised and traded to 49ers. I'm okay with that route if that is how they get something or him. Ford himself had injuries and inconsistent play.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes but Armstead will have value I believe Ford was franchised and traded to 49ers. I'm okay with that route if that is how they get something or him. Ford himself had injuries and inconsistent play.

Armstead does have value but not the same level of a top pass rusher. So the Ford situation can be used as an example and i'm good with this thought. But the details are different from Ford and this is where i don't think it'll work?

You'll need to sign Armstead to a good sized contract, say $10M/season or something like that? Then hope he attracts enough interest which now includes this $10M/year PLUS, a draft pick to our satisfaction? If it was a top pass rusher i wouldn't be concerned, however he isn't THIS valued?

You might say we'll keep Armstead if no one steps up, which isn't so bad for one season. However, it isn't ok going forward. We shouldn't go into the NEXT off-season with both Kittle and Buckner heading to free agency. Then for this season we won't have all those quality back-ups.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armstead does have value but not the same level of a top pass rusher. So the Ford situation can be used as an example and i'm good with this thought. But the details are different from Ford and this is where i don't think it'll work?

You'll need to sign Armstead to a good sized contract, say $10M/season or something like that? Then hope he attracts enough interest which now includes this $10M/year PLUS, a draft pick to our satisfaction? If it was a top pass rusher i wouldn't be concerned, however he isn't THIS valued?

You might say we'll keep Armstead if no one steps up, which isn't so bad for one season. However, it isn't ok going forward. We shouldn't go into the NEXT off-season with both Kittle and Buckner heading to free agency. Then for this season we won't have all those quality back-ups.

If you franchise tag him but trade him to another team after reaching a draft pick compensation agreement then they can sign him to what ever deal they want. I think if they got a third and a little more for him they would be doing well.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teams will be lining uP!! qb, lot. all pro de, DB, WR! Need to know what backups, Another player or draft pick can do? SPEED!!SPEED!!! ChaChing!!

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you franchise tag him but trade him to another team after reaching a draft pick compensation agreement then they can sign him to what ever deal they want. I think if they got a third and a little more for him they would be doing well.

Ok, if they can work out there own deal, i stand corrected.

So if no team can work out a deal with Armstead or work out a trade for draft picks, he stays with the 49ers at $14M (one year). Do you take this chance?

If Armstead plays at the tag amount, it isn't a disaster but it affects Kittle, Buckner, and all the other Free Agents. Here is the list of FA's again:

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/gal...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...-brings-hypothetical-brady-to-49ers-scenario/

I'm not for adding another vet QB, even if its Brady.

Not for draftng a QB either but since we only have a 1st rounder, not worried about that. If the value is just too good in the late rounds, do draft him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, if they can work out there own deal, i stand corrected.

So if no team can work out a deal with Armstead or work out a trade for draft picks, he stays with the 49ers at $14M (one year). Do you take this chance?

If Armstead plays at the tag amount, it isn't a disaster but it affects Kittle, Buckner, and all the other Free Agents. Here is the list of FA's again:

22 49ers set to be free agents in 2020

I think if they franchise tag him it's to trade him or give them time to work out a long term deal.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think if they franchise tag him it's to trade him or give them time to work out a long term deal.

I get that, but it doesn't guarantee a long term deal nor guarantee a trade for that matter. So i like the strategy but not sure i'd take a chance with Armstead? Just not confident he generates big interest?

So while i like him more than most, IMO other teams will tread lightly or lighter than we think. They will look at his injury history, his sack/pressure history, and who he's playing next to.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that, but it doesn't guarantee a long term deal nor guarantee a trade for that matter. So i like the strategy but not sure i'd take a chance with Armstead? Just not confident he generates big interest?

So while i like him more than most, IMO other teams will tread lightly or lighter than we think. They will look at his injury history, his sack/pressure history, and who he's playing next to.

They can also rescind the offer and let him walk if nothing can be reached on any front and take the likely comp pick.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers top 4 needs in NFL draft before free agency

All of these positions make sense prior to free agency, but there is also O-line. Fortunately the O-line played well even with the injuries to Staley and McGlinchey. We have no choice but assume the same starting five next season. It is just too hard to strengthen ALL the spots we want.

All things being "equal", i like keeping our defense strong, meaning my first hope (dream really) is to replace Armstead. Replace him with someone who can add inside pressure first of all, and then set the edge on runs. This is asking a lot so i'm saying use our 1st round pick. To find somone like this at #31 is unlikely so next would be CB only because its much harder to get a quality CB over FS.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They can also rescind the offer and let him walk if nothing can be reached on any front and take the likely comp pick.

DL Arik Armstead ($9.046 million)
Armstead put together back-to-back seasons in which he played every game. That comes after two seasons in which he missed a combined 18 games due to injuries. Armstead always has been good as a run defender. This season, he was a man for all downs.

Armstead figures to land a lucrative free agent contract -- either with the 49ers or some other team. If the 49ers want to place the franchise tag on him, it would cost approximately $18 million for just one season. A multi-year deal would give him more guaranteed money with the cap hit in 2020 would not be as large for the 49ers.

It would be difficult to replace what Armstead brought to the team this season. He is perfect for this defense -- a defensive end on base downs who moves inside to rush the passer.

Lynch suggested he does not want to use the franchise tag on Armstead because he wants a long-term deal.

“We want to find a way to keep him and make him a part of the 49ers for a long time,” Lynch said.

Ok, if this number is correct, i'm pretty sure we're not going to tag Armstead.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if Armstead signs the tag offer.

Yes but it's unlikely he'll sign it unless he absolutely has to. Players want more guaranteed money. Now 18 million guaranteed is a lot of money but not as much as he could get.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think they will try to bring him back with some salary cap gymnastics