• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Free Agency

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...lo-made-49ers-instantly-better-arrived-lynch/

Yes, so looking ahead, how do you keep JG protected?

Obviously, we'd want to improve the O-line LOOKING AHEAD, but this is where the lack of draft picks hurt. I'm not saying i'd rather have that Sanders trade back, but am saying its unfortunate we can't bring in YOUNGER/better linemen next off-season.

Staley is up there and we're assuming McGlinchey will make a smooth transition to LT? But nothing is for sure until its sure.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.************.com/articl...lo-made-49ers-instantly-better-arrived-lynch/

Yes, so looking ahead, how do you keep JG protected?

Obviously, we'd want to improve the O-line LOOKING AHEAD, but this is where the lack of draft picks hurt. I'm not saying i'd rather have that Sanders trade back, but am saying its unfortunate we can't bring in YOUNGER/better linemen next off-season.

Staley is up there and we're assuming McGlinchey will make a smooth transition to LT? But nothing is for sure until its sure.
I think good O linemen are easier to find than good skill players.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers have three players in top 30 on PFF's free-agent list

According to this article, our top FA's are Sanders, Armstead, and Ward in this order. I'm biased to the defense so Armstead would be my top FA followed by Ward. I place Armstead ahead of Ward because it starts on the line and Armstead played at a Pro Bowl level.

Anyway, with two huge FA's after 2020 (Kittle and Buckner), and only one tag, they have to extend either Kittle or Buckner this off-season.

To those who always want the top free agents, sorry but they can't go after top free agents from other teams. The top free agents are already on the team, come 2020, it'll require be huge contracts. Kittle will be the highest paid TE in the NFL.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
George Kittle in line for record-breaking extension

Yep, the top free agents or players to be extended are already on the team. We can't go out and sign any top free agents this off-season. Lynch will still try of course, but being fiscally responsible we can't sign the top ones.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers have three players in top 30 on PFF's free-agent list

According to this article, our top FA's are Sanders, Armstead, and Ward in this order. I'm biased to the defense so Armstead would be my top FA followed by Ward. I place Armstead ahead of Ward because it starts on the line and Armstead played at a Pro Bowl level.

Anyway, with two huge FA's after 2020 (Kittle and Buckner), and only one tag, they have to extend either Kittle or Buckner this off-season.

To those who always want the top free agents, sorry but they can't go after top free agents from other teams. The top free agents are already on the team, come 2020, it'll require be huge contracts. Kittle will be the highest paid TE in the NFL.

I believe in re-upping on Armstead and Ward WELL over Sanders. Armstead who is 26, assuming that his numbers will be around 10-12 mil/yr, should be re-signed given Bosa and Buckner being on rookie deals. Armstead getting paid a yr before Buckner gives Buckner incentive to "keep the band together" with production from all and maybe a . Ward is 26 yrs old and played all year at a Pro Bowl level with great coverage skill and range. I would use GP incentives in the contract and a keep our secondary intact as we figure out what to do with Sherman, who I believe would be a good FS. Sanders is 33 and may want 10 mil+/yr on a multi year deal. Deebo really turned it on the last half of the season. We have both Taylor and Hurd that are healing up.
I would draft another pass catching TE opposite Kittle, focus on OL and secondary as well.

Kittle or Buckner can be Franchise Tagged next season.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe in re-upping on Armstead and Ward WELL over Sanders. Armstead who is 26, assuming that his numbers will be around 10-12 mil/yr, should be re-signed given Bosa and Buckner being on rookie deals. Armstead getting paid a yr before Buckner gives Buckner incentive to "keep the band together" with production from all and maybe a . Ward is 26 yrs old and played all year at a Pro Bowl level with great coverage skill and range. I would use GP incentives in the contract and a keep our secondary intact as we figure out what to do with Sherman, who I believe would be a good FS. Sanders is 33 and may want 10 mil+/yr on a multi year deal. Deebo really turned it on the last half of the season. We have both Taylor and Hurd that are healing up.
I would draft another pass catching TE opposite Kittle, focus on OL and secondary as well.

Kittle or Buckner can be Franchise Tagged next season.

Agree with Armstead and/or Ward before Sanders.

Dangerous having both Kittle and Buckner as Franchise Tag candidates, you only have one franchise tag. I'd re-up Kittle now even as the highest paid TE in the NFL, then see about Buckner. If we can't get Buckner extended too, don't force.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Sanders is not resigned then we will need a 50 catch 6 TD season like Deebo had from James, Taylor, Hurd, Bourne, Pettis, Goodwin. A very big step up!! Go 49ers!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Sanders is not resigned then we will need a 50 catch 6 TD season like Deebo had from James, Taylor, Hurd, Bourne, Pettis, Goodwin. A very big step up!! Go 49ers!!

With Hurd and Taylor assumed back, we'll need someone like Goodwin who can fly but more consistent catching it. We don't have enough high picks so there's a chance even later in the draft. There are prospects who aren't good overall, but can take the top off of defenses.

Or there could be 2nd tier Free Agents who can do this.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/134887-jimmie-ward-only-wants-play-safety-preferably-49ers/

They way he played Safety this year, makes perfect sense. I only recall once bad angle granted it was the last KC TD.

But yeah, he still has that injured history so you can't just give him a lot of guranteed money. Can't ask him to take a pay cut either so it can only be an incentive driven or health based (number of games played) type contract.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

I liked Armstead more than most going back to the previous season, but don't think a Franchise tag is the way to go? The reason is i'd like to get Kittle extended now even if it means being the highest paid TE. IF another highly regarded TE gets a new contract before Kittle, he may push up the price.

If not Kittle MAYBE Buckner?

So i don't think we should Franchise Tag Armstead, yet he'll command a large contract. As much as i want him back, don't see us fitting him under our cap? He'd have to agree to a long term deal withoutout a lot of guarantee, ie one of those easier to cut deals 2 years from now. Why should he?

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
An idea look at WRs in FA and teams 3 or 4th WR for potential. Rams, Seahawks, Cardinals.. House Potential Every Play!!!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pettis pick really messed things up?! Not blaming Pettis himself because he doesn't draft, but Shannahan blew that pick badly? Now we have look at FA WR's which may or may not be Sanders?

If Pettis had just done the same as Sanders did, we save those picks. So now we waste the picks for Pettis PLUS a 2nd and 3rd this year. Didn't we trade up for Pettis?

Let's hope Hurd isn't another offensive player bust, joining CJ and Joe Williams.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This a very deep draft for WR's so taking one at some point in the draft even with limited picks isn't impossible.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would like to keep the front four together but need to look at all options, for Armstead, sign/trade for player and or picks. Still have Blair, Taylor, Thomas or n/a! Get picks, player, Franchise Kittle!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articl...mstead-continues-responding-doubters-twitter/

To me he shouldn't respond to anything, he had a great season so let it speak for itself.

One breakout season doesn't necessarily mean a 'mega-contract', we'll see how it goes with Kittle or Buckner, then see about Armstead?