• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Draft

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correction...

Schmidt was a 4th year junior...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man.. BBRef sucks now. Is there another site that gives spreadsheet views of minor league players, the way bbref used to provide?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been unplugged so long, I forget who our top prospects are. I don’t think we have a 3B prospect of note, do we?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been unplugged so long, I forget who our top prospects are. I don’t think we have a 3B prospect of note, do we?

It's probably our weakest position, unless Luis Toribio can stick there (all indications are he ends up at 1st).

Schmitt has no concerns of moving off the position, good defender at 3rd.

I love this pick. I think two-way players who are relief pitchers will become way more common. I think a two-way player that's a starting pitcher is too much to ask for (Ohtani is a unicorn, and he's still super risky), but having a guy on your bench that can help with two roles could be incredibly valuable. Even if he's no more than a Pedro Feliz at 3rd and a Trevor Gott in the Pen, that's nice to have one guy doing both.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
krRlTqY.png

so yea or nay?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 picks so far, 4 4th year Jrs. Still getting to know FZ’s tendencies, but this seems a bit playing it safe...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glowenke, while drafted as a SS, projects more as a 2B or a util who can fill in at 3B.

not impressed

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back yard kid. Gotta figure he will sign.

I like HS draftees. Better chance of high ceiling...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 picks so far, 4 4th year Jrs. Still getting to know FZ’s tendencies, but this seems a bit playing it safe...

Tracking it back to the dodger days, Zaidi seems to prefer college guys. I think I saw 6 of 7, or 7 of 8, first round picks in Zaidi's recently drafts have been college players. Seems like a strong tendency at this point.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3B/RHP Casey Schmidt

in general, I am not a fan of 2-way players. Not enough focus to be successful. Apparently, he is giving 3B his full attention at this point, though...

a college senior, so signability should not be an issue...
I haven't researched to see how common it is, but it seems rare for a college senior to be drafted that high, especially when the draft is so truncated.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pay wall.

What’s the gist of the story?

Wha..? Ooops. Sorry. It didn't do that for me. Interview whole minus a video with him and FZ.

"Two years after the San Francisco Giants made Joey Bart the heir apparent to Buster Posey, the organization made a surprising decision to spend their first round pick in the 2020 MLB Draft on another catcher.

North Carolina State product Patrick Bailey was widely expected to be a first round pick this year, but it wasn’t until the final stages of the pre-draft process when national reporters and prospect analysts began connecting him to the Giants.

Why would a franchise that already has a top prospect expected to soon take over as the everyday starter behind the plate tab Bailey with its first selection?

“I think this sort of embodies two old baseball adages, that you don’t draft for need, and I won’t even say for need but perceived need, and you can never have too much catching,” Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said.

In other words, the Giants’ top evaluators believed Bailey was the best player available.

“Even at the top of our board, there were some terrific players at the top of this draft, Bailey may have been the guy that just had the broadest consensus in our group,” Zaidi said.

Bailey wasn’t the only catcher linked with the Giants before the draft as many believed the organization had its eyes on Turlock High alumnus Tyler Soderstrom, the son of pitcher Steve Soderstrom who was selected sixth overall by San Francisco in the 1993 amateur draft.

Projecting a fit for Soderstrom within the organization was relatively easier because of his willingness to move around the diamond and play different positions, but Bailey isn’t that type of a prospect. The 2019 first team All-ACC player has spent his entire amateur career honing his skills behind the plate, much like Bart, a Georgia Tech product who has yet to play a position other than catcher in his time in the Giants’ farm system.

The Giants didn’t show their hand before the draft, but they clearly envision a future in which both Bart and another catcher –now Bailey– will hold down everyday roles at the big league level.

In a year in which in-person scouting opportunities were limited due to the coronavirus pandemic, it also helped that Giants amateur scouting director Michael Holmes has known Bailey since he was in high school.

“Every guy that came out of (scouting Bailey) felt really good about his ability both on the offensive and defensive side and we really think that we’ve got a guy that can impact the game on both sides of the baseball,” Holmes said. “Guys like that you can never have too many within the system.”

How will they make this work?

With the designated hitter expected to become a permanent fixture in the National League as soon as the 2020 season gets underway, the Giants will likely use the DH slot to “rest” the catcher who isn’t starting behind the plate.

The organization has witnessed the damaging effects of rarely having a serviceable backup to Posey and watched as the franchise cornerstone has had his power zapped from spending more than 100 games a year in a crouch. Bailey probably doesn’t have the same ceiling as Posey or Bart, but at worst the Giants likely believe they found a serviceable platoon option and at best they’ve secured a fantastic defender who can also provide power in the DH spot when Bart catches.

With a combination of Bart, a durable right-handed slugger and Bailey, a prospect who held his own from the left side of the plate in college, the Giants can foresee a future in which they’re monitoring the workloads of their catchers while maintaining a favorable option at the position regardless of whether they’re facing a right or left-handed pitcher.

Giants executives will end the night believing the franchise can expect stability and above-average production at the catcher position for years to come, but it’s important to remember that the selection of Bailey also provides the team with valuable insurance.

It’s possible neither Bart nor Bailey will become the All-Star-caliber player every team expects a first-round pick to morph into, but the likelihood of finding an elite talent at one of the most critical positions on the diamond is obviously higher when you take a pair of players in the first half of the first round.

It’s also more likely Bart and Bailey will be able to perform closer to their full potential if they’re not consistently shouldering a heavy workload at the game’s most demanding position.

The Giants certainly have more important objectives in the 2020 MLB Draft and subsequent post-draft signing period than finding a perfect complement for Bart, but they are also uniquely positioned to add premium talent this June in a way they haven’t been in recent years. With four more top-100 selections, the Giants’ amateur scouting department can turn its attention to adding multiple high-quality arms in a draft Holmes called the deepest for college pitchers in “the last 10-to-12 years.”

The organization’s attention will shift on Thursday, but executives will do so with the belief that it has a secure future at the catcher position for years to come."

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wha..? Ooops. Sorry. It didn't do that for me. Interview whole minus a video with him and FZ.

"Two years after the San Francisco Giants made Joey Bart the heir apparent to Buster Posey, the organization made a surprising decision to spend their first round pick in the 2020 MLB Draft on another catcher.

North Carolina State product Patrick Bailey was widely expected to be a first round pick this year, but it wasn’t until the final stages of the pre-draft process when national reporters and prospect analysts began connecting him to the Giants.

Why would a franchise that already has a top prospect expected to soon take over as the everyday starter behind the plate tab Bailey with its first selection?

“I think this sort of embodies two old baseball adages, that you don’t draft for need, and I won’t even say for need but perceived need, and you can never have too much catching,” Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi said.

In other words, the Giants’ top evaluators believed Bailey was the best player available.

“Even at the top of our board, there were some terrific players at the top of this draft, Bailey may have been the guy that just had the broadest consensus in our group,” Zaidi said.

Bailey wasn’t the only catcher linked with the Giants before the draft as many believed the organization had its eyes on Turlock High alumnus Tyler Soderstrom, the son of pitcher Steve Soderstrom who was selected sixth overall by San Francisco in the 1993 amateur draft.

Projecting a fit for Soderstrom within the organization was relatively easier because of his willingness to move around the diamond and play different positions, but Bailey isn’t that type of a prospect. The 2019 first team All-ACC player has spent his entire amateur career honing his skills behind the plate, much like Bart, a Georgia Tech product who has yet to play a position other than catcher in his time in the Giants’ farm system.

The Giants didn’t show their hand before the draft, but they clearly envision a future in which both Bart and another catcher –now Bailey– will hold down everyday roles at the big league level.

In a year in which in-person scouting opportunities were limited due to the coronavirus pandemic, it also helped that Giants amateur scouting director Michael Holmes has known Bailey since he was in high school.

“Every guy that came out of (scouting Bailey) felt really good about his ability both on the offensive and defensive side and we really think that we’ve got a guy that can impact the game on both sides of the baseball,” Holmes said. “Guys like that you can never have too many within the system.”

How will they make this work?

With the designated hitter expected to become a permanent fixture in the National League as soon as the 2020 season gets underway, the Giants will likely use the DH slot to “rest” the catcher who isn’t starting behind the plate.

The organization has witnessed the damaging effects of rarely having a serviceable backup to Posey and watched as the franchise cornerstone has had his power zapped from spending more than 100 games a year in a crouch. Bailey probably doesn’t have the same ceiling as Posey or Bart, but at worst the Giants likely believe they found a serviceable platoon option and at best they’ve secured a fantastic defender who can also provide power in the DH spot when Bart catches.

With a combination of Bart, a durable right-handed slugger and Bailey, a prospect who held his own from the left side of the plate in college, the Giants can foresee a future in which they’re monitoring the workloads of their catchers while maintaining a favorable option at the position regardless of whether they’re facing a right or left-handed pitcher.

Giants executives will end the night believing the franchise can expect stability and above-average production at the catcher position for years to come, but it’s important to remember that the selection of Bailey also provides the team with valuable insurance.

It’s possible neither Bart nor Bailey will become the All-Star-caliber player every team expects a first-round pick to morph into, but the likelihood of finding an elite talent at one of the most critical positions on the diamond is obviously higher when you take a pair of players in the first half of the first round.

It’s also more likely Bart and Bailey will be able to perform closer to their full potential if they’re not consistently shouldering a heavy workload at the game’s most demanding position.

The Giants certainly have more important objectives in the 2020 MLB Draft and subsequent post-draft signing period than finding a perfect complement for Bart, but they are also uniquely positioned to add premium talent this June in a way they haven’t been in recent years. With four more top-100 selections, the Giants’ amateur scouting department can turn its attention to adding multiple high-quality arms in a draft Holmes called the deepest for college pitchers in “the last 10-to-12 years.”

The organization’s attention will shift on Thursday, but executives will do so with the belief that it has a secure future at the catcher position for years to come."
The main thing that jumps out to me reading that article is that the journalist industry has gone to pot in the last 30 years or so. So many awkward sentences and missed words. Who edits this stuff?

ok, aside over...

I don’t pretend to have any idea if Bailey was the right pick or not. Most of what I have heard/read since he was taken says he is a solid player, was NOT an over-draft and even for a team with a stud-ier catcher prospect already in the system, he was not a bad pick. I also understand the baseball-draft rule that you ignore need and just take BPA.

But it still bothers me (ignorantly?) that we drafted to a position of strength (catching, offense) rather than a position of need (pitching, infield).

But, as always, even a bad front office knows more about the game than I do. So I can only trust that they know what they are doing.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By my reckoning, that gives us about 8 legit prospects now who could compete for top 100 lists. That is a nice turnaround...

Bart
Luciano
Ramos
Bailey
Hjely
Corry
Bishop
Wilson