• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Requires a subscription, but this guy uses a mathematical model to project wins/losses. He definitely values 'advanced stats' a lot, so Corsi, Expected Goals, etc. play a big role. This article compares how much value the team added/subtracted so far in the offseason. It doesn't look closely at prospects coming up because there's less data to use in a projection. But some interesting stuff that I get out of the article.

1. By his model, the Flyers lost 0.1 wins worth of value, but trimmed 6.75M in cap space. Gustafsson was the addition, Niskanen, Grant, Pitlick, and Thompson were the subtractions (Grant and Thompson were 'additions by subtraction' according to his model).
2. Most of the Flyers competition, particularly in the East, got worse by his model. St. Louis (-0.2), Carolina (-0.7), Boston (-0.8), Vegas (-1.1), Toronto (-1.5), Columbus (-1.6), NYI (-1.7), Tampa (-1.8).
3. Tampa still has more to lose too. They only have 2.8M in space with Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak to sign. Coburn and Schenn make up half their defense right now.
4. The Avalanche were the most concerning at +2.2 to an already great roster.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Requires a subscription, but this guy uses a mathematical model to project wins/losses. He definitely values 'advanced stats' a lot, so Corsi, Expected Goals, etc. play a big role. This article compares how much value the team added/subtracted so far in the offseason. It doesn't look closely at prospects coming up because there's less data to use in a projection. But some interesting stuff that I get out of the article.

1. By his model, the Flyers lost 0.1 wins worth of value, but trimmed 6.75M in cap space. Gustafsson was the addition, Niskanen, Grant, Pitlick, and Thompson were the subtractions.
2. Most of the Flyers competition, particularly in the East, got worse by his model. St. Louis (-0.2), Carolina (-0.7), Boston (-0.8), Vegas (-1.1), Toronto (-1.5), Columbus (-1.6), NYI (-1.7), Tampa (-1.8).
3. Tampa still has more to lose too. They only have 2.8M in space with Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak to sign. Coburn and Schenn make up half their defense right now.
4. The Avalanche were the most concerning at +2.2 to an already great roster.
We need to make some moves because this doesn't take into account how much of a different player Prov was without Nisky. Does he revert back into that turnover machine we saw two years ago. If that happens we literally have last a top pair of dmen.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to make some moves because this doesn't take into account how much of a different player Prov was without Nisky. Does he revert back into that turnover machine we saw two years ago. If that happens we literally have last a top pair of dmen.
I dont think it's gonna happen. If they don't get someone like Savard or the Florida deal that was rumored then I think it's gonna be by committee as in who is playing good at the present time.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it's gonna happen. If they don't get someone like Savard or the Florida deal that was rumored then I think it's gonna be by committee as in who is playing good at the present time.
If its by committee that's wont be good unless everyone back there takes big strides.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are predicting two firsts a second and a third round pick for him. That seems like a lot to give up considering that anyone who trades for him is giving them cap relief.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Montreal 45-1 ?

For us hopefully coaching can put us in the upper echelon by seasons end.
Well they were/are a mediocre team who played decent into the playoffs, I don't see any big splash that makes them a huge favorite or a huge under dog.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they were/are a mediocre team who played decent into the playoffs, I don't see any big splash that makes them a huge favorite or a huge under dog.
They were a terrible regular season team that beat Pitt and played well against us. i guess that brought them up form 100-1 to 45-1

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if maybe Fletcher is after Cernak from the Lightning. You have to think if they can't clear space they can only sign one of Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak. Sergachev seems like the most obvious #1 for them considering their offensive depth and defensive dearth. Maybe the Flyers can pry Cernak away with draft picks and/or prospects that the Lightning can afford.

He's not the flashiest guy, but he's good defensively, RH, can take the tough minutes. I think he could be a good pair with Provorov as a more 'shut down' type 1st pair. Or you could switch him with Myers to top two pairs out more if you wanted to.

Evolving Hockey / The Athletic put his contract projection at 2 years, 2.49M. Affordable, and you can probably avoid an NTC/NMC; giving you flexibility to expose him to Seattle next summer.

Seems like a logical path, but then they'd have 4 guys for the right side with Braun, Myers, and supposedly Gustaffson prefers that side even though he's LH.

Return could be fairly modest, this article proposes a former 2nd round pick, and a future second pick, as the offer from the Devils: Modest Trade Proposals for the New Jersey Devils: Targeting Erik Cernak

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if maybe Fletcher is after Cernak from the Lightning. You have to think if they can't clear space they can only sign one of Cirelli, Sergachev, and Cernak. Sergachev seems like the most obvious #1 for them considering their offensive depth and defensive dearth. Maybe the Flyers can pry Cernak away with draft picks and/or prospects that the Lightning can afford.

He's not the flashiest guy, but he's good defensively, RH, can take the tough minutes. I think he could be a good pair with Provorov as a more 'shut down' type 1st pair. Or you could switch him with Myers to top two pairs out more if you wanted to.

Evolving Hockey / The Athletic put his contract projection at 2 years, 2.49M. Affordable, and you can probably avoid an NTC/NMC; giving you flexibility to expose him to Seattle next summer.

Seems like a logical path, but then they'd have 4 guys for the right side with Braun, Myers, and supposedly Gustaffson prefers that side even though he's LH.

Return could be fairly modest, this article proposes a former 2nd round pick, and a future second pick, as the offer from the Devils: Modest Trade Proposals for the New Jersey Devils: Targeting Erik Cernak
Worse comes to worse you could always sit Braun.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worse comes to worse you could always sit Braun.

Truth. Could play Gustafsson on the left side too.

I don't know. The defense just seems so awkwardly constructed right now to me. Feels like something has to happen.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth. Could play Gustafsson on the left side too.

I don't know. The defense just seems so awkwardly constructed right now to me. Feels like something has to happen.
Maybe working a deal to get Coburn back. (sarcasm)

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read they are still interested in Vantanen and Hamonic. Once Myers signs they should have a little less than $2 mill. It is looking like Vatanen could be had on a 1 year deal around $2 mill. A deal trade would have to be made by he would be a decent paring with Provy. Hamonic forced a trade to go from the east coast to the west. Just say no!

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PS. Purdue won - it’s a miracle.

Betting the house on Flyers Stanley Cup 2021 !!! Miracles do happen.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any guesses on what kind of player we get in Nolan Patrick this season. Really want to see this kid succeed and have a heck of a career but I hope the fragilities of his previous injuries don't end his career early or make him less of a player than he is, what do you guys think?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any guesses on what kind of player we get in Nolan Patrick this season. Really want to see this kid succeed and have a heck of a career but I hope the fragilities of his previous injuries don't end his career early or make him less of a player than he is, what do you guys think?
I am very curious. I was pumped when we got him and now just hoping he turns out to be a solid third line center.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pessimistic on his return. There are so many new therapeutics for migraines, you'd think he would have this under control, IF his is controllable at all. If pressed for an over / under on regular season games played this season, I'd set it at 20. He'll try to play, I just don't think it's going to go well for him. Sad to say.