• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the 23rd pick in 2020 NHL draft the Philadelphia Flyers select, from Chicago of the USHL, Center Brendan Brisson.

We'll see soon enough...

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed it's a risk especially without Niskanen but I'm thinking that everyone can move up a pairing possibly Ghost as he looked better or Hagg and they wouldn't be horrible. Zamula is eased in or even Morin who knows. There are serviceable players around the stars picked up Oleksiak for nothing as an example and he was pretty good.
Losing Niskanen is to big of a blow right now to start plugging with AHL guys. You have to make a bid for a Petrangilo type guy. This team can win now but not with the defense as is. If you get Petrangilo for a 4-5 year deal it's worth it. Shattenkirk would be a waste IMO as he is not a 1 or 2 dman. Gotta think big here.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe we "get" to see Braun for two more years, and not Nisky for one. This is bass - akwards from the desired plan. At least my desired plan.

Still say deal Ghost away.... then keep our money for a trade deadline deal, or deals, plugging whatever emerges at that point to be our biggest inhibitor to a championship.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Niskanen is to big of a blow right now to start plugging with AHL guys. You have to make a bid for a Petrangilo type guy. This team can win now but not with the defense as is. If you get Petrangilo for a 4-5 year deal it's worth it. Shattenkirk would be a waste IMO as he is not a 1 or 2 dman. Gotta think big here.
Don't get me wrong I'm all for a splashy Pieterangelo he's solid but expensive. If they can do it for sure but I doubt it. I just have faith in grooming the young talent they have. So far the plan is working. Then supplement it with a rental. Hopefully the young guys continue to progress in the meantime.

On another note I'm saddened about Eddie Van Halen's passing. Please everyone have a few Cheers for him tonight! I may take down a 66 or die trying.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting pick at 23. Tyson Foerster. Craig Button and the gang love this pick for the Flyers. Honestly, this is the first time I heard his name. I do like the reviews on this kid though. @awaz what can you tell me about this pick? Was he on your list?

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting pick at 23. Tyson Foerster. Craig Button and the gang love this pick for the Flyers. Honestly, this is the first time I heard his name. I do like the reviews on this kid though. @awaz what can you tell me about this pick? Was he on your list?

Gifted goal scorer, some questionable skating.

I think that was the read on Lindblom when they drafted him, but he was much later.

High risk, high reward if the skating thing ever comes around.

Zary (taken by Calgary right after Foerster) and Grieg were considered 'safer' picks.

Here is the ESPN analysis :

Team: Barrie (OHL)
Ranking: 30 | Nationality: CAN
Stats: 62 GP, 36 G, 44 A

Scouting report: A solid scorer who gets up and down the ice well, Foerster navigates the offensive zone with great awareness. He led Barrie in scoring by 33 points. He has a good variety of release points on his shot and can make plays off the pass. -- Peters

Team fit: Heading into the draft, the Flyers needed forward depth, and they had plenty of decent options available. In Foerster, Philadelphia gets one of the best shooters in the draft. Foerster has high-upside production and great size, and plays with grit, but he needs to work on his skating. That said, Foerster has already proven he can make improvements, nearly quadrupling his point total from 23 points as a rookie in the OHL to 80 last season. If the Flyers believe they can fix Foerster's skating, they found a gem late in the first round. -- Kaplan

Where Foerster is most likely to play in 2020-21: OHL

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sparhawk's got it pretty well covered. I read about him a little before the draft, I think I even read a mock that had him going to the Flyers. Big shot, really good offensive player. Big, not afraid to go to the net. Just has a weird/inefficient skating stride. I read some stuff last night that he's apparently been working on it big time during the COVID pause and the Flyers apparently seem encouraged by that.

I'm good with it. We've clamored for a shoot-first / big shot / sniper type in the draft for years now and he's definitely that. Also think he's more of a home-run swing type pick as opposed to some of the other guys, again, like Sparhawk mentioned. That's really all I was hoping for. They need elite talent and it sounds like Foerster has the skill/size to be an elite scorer. Just need to get the skating to come around.

I'm good with it. Let's see how it plays out!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Foerster can eventually fill the Hartnell/Schenn one-timer spot on the PP at the very least, something they haven't had the past few seasons.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Foerster can eventually fill the Hartnell/Schenn one-timer spot on the PP at the very least, something they haven't had the past few seasons.

Really interested to see if they do anything dramatic on the PP. It was a disaster in the playoffs and I think you could pretty easily make the argument it was the main reason they didn't go further.

And it's not like it was great in the regular season either.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping for Alex Cotton in Rnd 2, a high-upside RHD with decent size, 6'2" 183lbs.

"Second year eligible late bloomer who has grown his game in the last year by leaps and bounds, and has to be considered as one of the top 12-14 defenseman in this class at this time. Displays strong puck skills that will allow him to QB his future team’s power play. Confidently skates through traffic with excellent footwork, and plays an active game in all three zones with no letdown or miscues. Very adapt at shutting down attackers with his shadowing skills. The idea about him not having good feet is ridiculous. His final year point production was more than a point per game and he has a good sized frame to build on." --Bill Placzek--

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mom passed away last week and needed a break from the board.

Lots of things went on.

Nisky retiring out of the blue screwed us.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of things went on.

Condolences LAS.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of things went on.

So sorry for your loss, man. Prayers for your mom and your family. Saying goodbye sucks.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do like the size of Foerster pick and now for a big RHD.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of things went on.

Condolences to you and your family.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read somewhere on Foerster that it his acceleration that is lacking. Once he gets going he can skate. 1st "sniper" in a long time. Has real good size. At pick 23 I have no problem with a real upside player vs. another depth center.