• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had just read over the weekend that the Flyers were in on Shattenkirk, which seemed odd at the time. Now I know why.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and then this happened:

Let’s update this: Matt Niskanen has informed PHI that he will retire. Team asked him to take some time and think about it, he did and stayed with that decision. The Flyers are working on re-signing Justin Braun, do not want to lose two critical members of the PK

— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) October 5, 2020
That stinks as he and Provy made a good 1st pairing. His $5.75 comes off the cap, but we need another guy and I don't think York is ready. Maybe Ceci is the price is right. The other top guys will cost too much. UGH!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and then this happened:

Let’s update this: Matt Niskanen has informed PHI that he will retire. Team asked him to take some time and think about it, he did and stayed with that decision. The Flyers are working on re-signing Justin Braun, do not want to lose two critical members of the PK

— Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) October 5, 2020

Wow. That's big news. Shocking really.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to go Pietrangelo shopping!!!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Braun re-signs. 2 years x 1.8M. That's a very reasonable contract for him. Certainly not my favorite player on the roster, but 1.8M is fine. Similar feelings on that as I do with the Hagg deal. Decent enough 3rd pair dman on a cheap contract.

It's all happening this afternoon.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giroux (8.75) - Couturier (4.33) - Voracek (8.25)
Lindblom (3) - Hayes (7.14) - Konecny (5.5)
JvR (7) - Patrick (2M) - Farabee (.925)
Raffl (1.6) - Laughton (2.3) - NAK (1.075M)
Frost (.863), Laczynski (.925)

Provorov (6.75) - Ghost (4.5)
Sanheim (3.25) - Myers (3M)
Hagg (1.6M) - Braun (1.8)
Friedman (.725)

Hart (.730)
Elliot (1.5M)

Cap Total: 77.5 out of an allowable 81.5

That's a comfortable amount of space, but an uncomfortable group of 6/7 dmen I think.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with getting another top 4 d-man is that then you’re all but guaranteed to lose a very good player in the expansion draft next year. Niskanen was perfect because he only had one year left on his deal. Provorov-Sanheim-Myers-????? Can only protect 3.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with getting another top 4 d-man is that then you’re all but guaranteed to lose a very good player in the expansion draft next year. Niskanen was perfect because he only had one year left on his deal. Provorov-Sanheim-Myers-????? Can only protect 3.

Definitely a risk. But one I'd take. I see this upcoming season as a very good opportunity for the Flyers to go for it. Hart and Sanheim need new contracts next year. The year after, Giroux and Couturier are up.

If they were able to sign Pietrangelo, they could protect Pietrangelo, Myers, and Provorov. Assuming you'd lose Sanhiem, you'd still have York and Zamula in the wings. Obviously Sanheim is better, but if there's any position they have top of the lineup prospects for, it's LHD.

It's not much different than asking if you'd trade Sanheim for Pietrangelo, IMO. You just get a year of both of them. If they had to trade for Pietrangelo that's a little different, but since he's a FA..

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely a risk. But one I'd take. I see this upcoming season as a very good opportunity for the Flyers to go for it. Hart and Sanheim need new contracts next year. The year after, Giroux and Couturier are up.

If they were able to sign Pietrangelo, they could protect Pietrangelo, Myers, and Provorov. Assuming you'd lose Sanhiem, you'd still have York and Zamula in the wings. Obviously Sanheim is better, but if there's any position they have top of the lineup prospects for, it's LHD.

It's not much different than asking if you'd trade Sanheim for Pietrangelo, IMO. You just get a year of both of them. If they had to trade for Pietrangelo that's a little different, but since he's a FA..

True, but Pietrangelo might be the only FA I'd be willing to lose Sanheim for, although I'd dread the last few years of Pietrangelo's contract. I'm also wondering if there is a player on an expiring contract that a cap (or cash) strapped team may be open to moving? Just a thought.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Pietrangelo might be the only FA I'd be willing to lose Sanheim for, although I'd dread the last few years of Pietrangelo's contract. I'm also wondering if there is a player on an expiring contract that a cap (or cash) strapped team may be open to moving? Just a thought.

I'll agree with that. Pietrangelo is an elite d-man. For a lesser player, I'd be less interested in losing Sanheim in the expansion draft. I think if not Pietrangelo, you look for a #4 dman, not a #1/2, with the plan to expose him. Or, like you said here, an expiring contract. I'm not real interested in Krug, as an example.

I wonder what Pietrangelo's contract looks like given the cap/COVID crunch teams are in right now. Particularly if he wants to play for a contender. Everyone seems to say 'the stars will get theres, it will be the bottom of the lineup guys that suffer'. With the Braun, Hagg, and Elliot signings, that seems like it could be true. So I guess we'll see.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of RH d-men on contracts expiring at the end of 2021 who may or may not be available (I admit I breezed through pretty quickly):

Erik Gudbranson (Ana) $4 mil.
Jason Demers (Ari) $3.94 mil.
David Savard (Clm) $4.25 mil.
Adam Larsson (Edm) $4.17 mil.
Stephen Johns (Dal) $2.35 mil.

Not a lot, but if AZ trades OEL a Ghost for Demers swap could make sense for both teams. Ghost can run the PP and Demers can battle with Myers for 1st/2nd pairing roles. Demers doesn't bring much offense but I've read that he's a calming defensive presence and has spent time on the 1st pairing. I love David Savard's game but I doubt he's available. Hard pass on Gudbranson. Larsson would probably cost too much to acquire. Johns is not quite good enough.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of RH d-men on contracts expiring at the end of 2021 who may or may not be available (I admit I breezed through pretty quickly):

Erik Gudbranson (Ana) $4 mil.
Jason Demers (Ari) $3.94 mil.
David Savard (Clm) $4.25 mil.
Adam Larsson (Edm) $4.17 mil.
Stephen Johns (Dal) $2.35 mil.

Not a lot, but if AZ trades OEL a Ghost for Demers swap could make sense for both teams. Ghost can run the PP and Demers can battle with Myers for 1st/2nd pairing roles. Demers doesn't bring much offense but I've read that he's a calming defensive presence and has spent time on the 1st pairing. I love David Savard's game but I doubt he's available. Hard pass on Gudbranson. Larsson would probably cost too much to acquire. Johns is not quite good enough.
I can see them rolling with what they have if they just signed Hagg and Braun. Also have Zamula in the wings why else keep him around in the bubble if he wasn't in the plans? At the trade deadline they figure out what they need for a run. Of course if they decide to move Ghost then everything is in play. Heck a big dman like Oleksiak has floated around the league but played great for the stars. Someone like that couldn't hurt as it would add much needed toughness back there.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see them rolling with what they have if they just signed Hagg and Braun. Also have Zamula in the wings why else keep him around in the bubble if he wasn't in the plans? At the trade deadline they figure out what they need for a run. Of course if they decide to move Ghost then everything is in play. Heck a big dman like Oleksiak has floated around the league but played great for the stars. Someone like that couldn't hurt as it would add much needed toughness back there.

Just my 2 cents....but Zamula isn't ready for the NHL, he'll almost certainly start the season in the AHL. Although, with no AHL season he could stick as the 6th/7th/8th d-man, rotating in and out. And, unless Myers is ready to take on 1st pairing duties which I don't think he is yet, they've got a gaping hole on the top pairing. That's not good, and I don't think it's a hole you can go into the season hoping to fix at the trade deadline if you have true Cup aspirations. I'd rather they be proactive now and at least TRY to get someone who can hold down the fort there. I'd definitely be calling Arizona about Demers, first trying to pawn off Ghost and then shifting to mid-level draft picks/prospects if needed. Perhaps Ghost for Demers with Phi retaining $1 mil/yr of Ghost's salary.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all that surprised the Flyers wouldn't be in on Pietrangelo. But I don't see how the Niskanen retirement wouldn't affect a potential Laine trade. Only way that's possible is if Ghost is the guy going the other way, and I don't think Ghost is the d-man the Jets make that type of move for. That would be Sanheim or Myers, and that's got to be a non-starter for the Flyers, particularly with the Niskanen news.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just my 2 cents....but Zamula isn't ready for the NHL, he'll almost certainly start the season in the AHL. Although, with no AHL season he could stick as the 6th/7th/8th d-man, rotating in and out. And, unless Myers is ready to take on 1st pairing duties which I don't think he is yet, they've got a gaping hole on the top pairing. That's not good, and I don't think it's a hole you can go into the season hoping to fix at the trade deadline if you have true Cup aspirations. I'd rather they be proactive now and at least TRY to get someone who can hold down the fort there. I'd definitely be calling Arizona about Demers, first trying to pawn off Ghost and then shifting to mid-level draft picks/prospects if needed. Perhaps Ghost for Demers with Phi retaining $1 mil/yr of Ghost's salary.

I wonder what happens to guys like Zamula if the AHL doesn't have a season. Flyers probably have a few guys in that category. Zamula, Frost, Lacyznski, Sandin. Maybe Morin and Allison later in the year if they get fully healthy.

I guess they probably get loaned out, like they've done a lot with teams starting the season in Europe. But what do you do with guys like Zamula or Frost who you expect would be at the top of the list when injuries and stuff happen. I wonder if we'll see those guys getting more NHL time with the need to develop them, plus everyone expects a really condensed schedule. Could see some 'maintenance games' for some guys.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the situation that we are in in regard to replacing Niskanen. This could play into who we protect with the expansion draft.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what happens to guys like Zamula if the AHL doesn't have a season. Flyers probably have a few guys in that category. Zamula, Frost, Lacyznski, Sandin. Maybe Morin and Allison later in the year if they get fully healthy.

I guess they probably get loaned out, like they've done a lot with teams starting the season in Europe. But what do you do with guys like Zamula or Frost who you expect would be at the top of the list when injuries and stuff happen. I wonder if we'll see those guys getting more NHL time with the need to develop them, plus everyone expects a really condensed schedule. Could see some 'maintenance games' for some guys.
Yeah, I was originally thinking that the Flyers would prefer a couple of veterans as the 13th/14th forwards and 7th/(and maybe 8th) dman rather than stifle development of younger players, but if there's no AHL season I think they will have to rotate the best of these guys in and out of the Flyers' lineup if they can't still be loaned to European teams. And, I imagine most of those European slots are already filled. I believe most leagues have restrictions on the number of non-home country players each team can carry.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just going to say the same thing. Package up Ghost and our 1st rd pick and something else and let's get this done. No on any Shattenkirk deal, he is not anywhere head over heels above anything we have now.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed it's a risk especially without Niskanen but I'm thinking that everyone can move up a pairing possibly Ghost as he looked better or Hagg and they wouldn't be horrible. Zamula is eased in or even Morin who knows. There are serviceable players around the stars picked up Oleksiak for nothing as an example and he was pretty good.