• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020-21 The Carter Hart Era PT2(The raising of the cup)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just post one article from a respected writer that says we have a good shot to win the cup in the next 1-2 years and ill believe you.

Not a lot of articles written to that specific topic for any team haha. Plus how do you define "respected writer"? One that agrees with you that this team sucks?

The Flyers had the 6th best odds to win the 2021 cup at the start of the season. I would define that as a "good shot". And I think we can both agree they're not there because of how impactful their old veterans are. It was because they are pretty young and pretty talented. It's not much of a stretch to say they were/are trending up from there as the young guys hit their prime. So there are people out there other than just me that believe in the raw talent of this team.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Goligoski is being reported that the Flyers are targeting now. Not sure what he has left in the tank as a 35 year old vet? The Flyers can't get cute. They are now on the outside looking in. This division is brutal and we simply can't afford that many more night offs.
I saw this too. Talking about replacing one of the 3rd pairing guys. Still plays a lot of minutes.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this too. Talking about replacing one of the 3rd pairing guys. Still plays a lot of minutes.

I'd be interested in Goligoski, but only if the team starts playing better between now and the deadline. To me, it only makes sense to buy at the deadline if you think you've got a shot to win. Playing the way they're playing now, they don't have a shot. I absolutely believe this team is capable of much more than what they've shown in the past two weeks. If they get to that level heading into the deadline, then adding is back on the table. Goligoski, Ristolainen, Ekholm, Savard, etc. would all be of interest. And even if the Flyers are desperate, those teams will be more desperate to move those parts and there really aren't many teams that want to buy, have cap space, and will prioritize adding a d-man.

But if they keep allowing goals and chances like this for the next couple weeks, I'd pack it in and start making plans to make more dramatic moves in the offseason. Not just targeting a good top 4 guy, but loading up and trying to get a #1 guy. And changing the makeup of the forwards a little bit.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested in Goligoski, but only if the team starts playing better between now and the deadline. To me, it only makes sense to buy at the deadline if you think you've got a shot to win. Playing the way they're playing now, they don't have a shot. I absolutely believe this team is capable of much more than what they've shown in the past two weeks. If they get to that level heading into the deadline, then adding is back on the table. Goligoski, Ristolainen, Ekholm, Savard, etc. would all be of interest. And even if the Flyers are desperate, those teams will be more desperate to move those parts and there really aren't many teams that want to buy, have cap space, and will prioritize adding a d-man.

But if they keep allowing goals and chances like this for the next couple weeks, I'd pack it in and start making plans to make more dramatic moves in the offseason. Not just targeting a good top 4 guy, but loading up and trying to get a #1 guy. And changing the makeup of the forwards a little bit.
Yep I agree. Get a number 1 Dman and maybe another top 4 guy, if not at least a number 1 Dman and a good sniper.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep I agree. Get a number 1 Dman and maybe another top 4 guy, if not at least a number 1 Dman and a good sniper.

Don't know if they can afford that shopping spree! But going after a #1 dman should be a priority. Even if it takes a high end forward currently on the roster. They have a surplus up front that can be used to add D if necessary.

Up front I think they could use someone that goes to the net more. Even more-so than a shoot-first, sniper type. Goals come from the net front, need guys willing to go there. Particularly in the playoffs.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of articles written to that specific topic for any team haha. Plus how do you define "respected writer"? One that agrees with you that this team sucks?

The Flyers had the 6th best odds to win the 2021 cup at the start of the season. I would define that as a "good shot". And I think we can both agree they're not there because of how impactful their old veterans are. It was because they are pretty young and pretty talented. It's not much of a stretch to say they were/are trending up from there as the young guys hit their prime. So there are people out there other than just me that believe in the raw talent of this team.
These odds were a long time ago.Current odds have us 10th best so i would define that as not a "good shot"

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These odds were a long time ago.Current odds have us 10th best so i would define that as not a "good shot"

I'm pretty sure you'll find a reason why anything I share doesn't fit. So I don't plan on searching further :)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you really go home-run swinging in the offseason you have to look at teams like Nashville that could be headed for a complete tear down. They're cap strapped, have some big contracts, and a bad team. Free agency doesn't offer a bonafide top pair d-man this year.

They have Josi (9M through 2028 when he'd be 38) and Ellis (6.25 through 2027 when he'd be 37). Unless they think a re-tool gets them back in contention, I would think they'd have to consider moving one or both of those guys. By the time they'd get through a full-scale rebuild, those guys would be on the back side of their careers. Hextall made the decision in 2014 to keep Giroux and hope that he'd still have effective years by the time the rebuild was done. He was 26. Josi and Ellis are 30. I don't think Nashville turns it around in time.

Both of those guys qualify as bonafide top pair guys, if not #1's. To get them is going to take a king's ransom. A young, high ceiling talent. The Flyers will have to move some salary to fit them. You don't want to do it, but Konecny is the guy that fits as the center-piece here. Clears some space, high value to Nashville. Only 24, cost controlled for a while (5.5 thru 2025). He'll be there for the other side for them. I don't think Konecny is enough. You're probably throwing in pick and a prospect. Probably a 1st and a mid-level prospect or a high-level prospect and a mid-round pick.

Then I think you look to free agency to back fill Konecny in the top 9. As mentioned, I think you want someone that goes to the net. Someone like Brandon Saad could be a nice fit. Gets to the net, shoot first, has some size. He'll be coming off a 6M deal, could the Flyers get him for something similar for a few years given the stagnant cap and lack of cap space around the league? You'd still probably have to move some salary to fit him in, but if you add Josi or Ellis, you have the space to move a d-man. Has Ghost recovered enough value to find a suitor? It's a lot of moving pieces that you'd have to get all lined up.

That's the type of dramatic, re-shape the team, type moves I would look at in the offseason if the play from the past 2 weeks continues.

Top of the lineup would be..

JvR (7) -Couturier (4.3) -Farabee (.9)
Giroux (8.3) -Hayes (7.1) -Saad (7)
Lindblom (3) -Patrick (2*) -Voracek (8.3)

Provorov (6.8) - Ellis (6.3)
Sanheim (5*) - Myers (2.6)

Hart (.7)

Leaves you with like 11-12 mil left. Braun, hagg, NAK fill 3 out those 6 openings for 4.4. So about 8 mil for two 4th liners and a backup goalie? It could fit..

*are estimates for RFA's

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, don't advocate trading Konecny. Love the guy. Was giddy when they traded up to get him. I would've been OK if they took him with the Provorov pick.

But IMO, he's the piece that makes the most sense if you're going to make a big splash. Gotta give to get.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if they can afford that shopping spree! But going after a #1 dman should be a priority. Even if it takes a high end forward currently on the roster. They have a surplus up front that can be used to add D if necessary.

Up front I think they could use someone that goes to the net more. Even more-so than a shoot-first, sniper type. Goals come from the net front, need guys willing to go there. Particularly in the playoffs.

Where do we get the money for this??

I thought we were getting rid of the JVR contract to the Kraken?!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Konecny, Giroux and Jake for Nathan Mckinnon?

I actually don’t think the Flyers are better off with that? I dno, you watch both teams. Do you think they are? 3 top 6 forwards for 1 elite one? I do love MacKinnon though.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually don’t think the Flyers are better off with that? I dno, you watch both teams. Do you think they are? 3 top 6 forwards for 1 elite one? I do love MacKinnon though.
He scores just as much as all 3 lol but yeah I'll admit that would be a bit high. I'd def do Gee and Jake for him though.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He scores just as much as all 3 lol but yeah I'll admit that would be a bit high. I'd def do Gee and Jake for him though.
if we trade for anyone on the Avs, it better be for Makar. And I love Mac, Ratanen, and Landeskog, etc.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we trade for anyone on the Avs, it better be for Makar. And I love Mac, Ratanen, and Landeskog, etc.
Ain't no way in hell the Avs are getting rid of that youngster. If Sakic plays his cards right he could launch a hell of a club for years to come.