• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Patriot Free Agents

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I never said he was the best kicker in the league. He was given his current contract when he was. He's earned every penny IMO. He still ranks top 5 in most categories. It's not like he's been awful.
So what I think you're saying is you would NOT offer him a contract at any price? Is that what you just said? If that's in fact your opinion I'm not sure we can keep discussing this. That's really an asinine comment. Are you sure you understand contract negotiations. Players get less as they age and their #s drop. That doesn't mean they're washed up.
Have you looked at the list of FA for 2019? So I'll ask again who would you take at what price?
I do agree there are kickers to be had if you're lucky enough to find one. Do you really want to waste Brady's potential last couple years on an unproven hope?
As I mentioned STs are not sexy until they start costing you games. You need to invest in them.
I've already said if someone offers him more then BB is willing to give him, he may walk. Then again maybe he really likes winning? I'm good either way and will wish him well.
You may have not said it directly, but other people in this thread have asserted he is the best kicker in the league and deserves to continue to be paid at the top of the market. I mean, sure I'd sign him back if he wants to play for a million bucks, but we both know that's never going to happen so why bother entertaining impossibilities? What two kickers were named to the Pro Bowl yesterday? Jason Myers, 3rd NFL stop (plus two trips through the Arena League), $700K salary, and Aldrick Rosas, 2nd NFL stop, $550K salary. I'm 1,000,000% fine with trying to find next year's Jason Myers or Aldrick Rosas and picking up a rookie to compete with him in camp, over spending millions on Gostkowski or any of the FA equivalents (Gould, Bailey, Dawson, etc.)..and history says at least one of those guys will probably be looking for work at a better price point after the season starts, too, if need be, anyway. Just because kickers are important doesn't make them any less fungible. I'm confident on the list of potential reasons that Brady's final seasons might be a letdown, changing kickers will be way far down. And if Gostkowski's really in decline and no longer deserves to be paid at the top of the market, then who's to say he won't be just as much of a risk to Brady's swan song as someone new? Spend that money elsewhere and you're doing a lot more to put a good team around Brady.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intentionally.

That said, If they had not left those 4 points on the field, the miracle would have never happened.
Missed kicks may have not been the only cause of the loss, but they were a direct cause.

Yes, I understand that by leaving it up to the kicker to score three points means the rest of the offense failed to score seven, which also is a direct cause of the loss.

But not as impactful as a interception or a missed field goal.

He's got ONE job.

OK we'll have to agree to disagree.

Let's just say he was to blame for the Miami loss. In 13 years the guy has missed 7 PATs and over that same time he's hit on 88% of his FG attempts.

So what about the rest of these games they supposedly lost this season because of the kicking game?

All I'm saying is a team can do a LOT worse then having Gostowski as their kicker. I'd resign him to a fair contract in a heart beat. Maybe even a little better than fair market value. He's proven himself time and time again on the biggest stages and weekly with all the national media NE gets. A rookie is BB evaluates him and says he's good with that, who am I to argue. But until then no one seems to be able to tell me what a Ski contract should be worth or who they would replace him with.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if that happens, at least as far as drafting a kicker.

I could see him drafting a kicker or finding an UDFA as soon as the draft is over. But if that's the case that tells me BB isn't 100% sold on that guy. BB values STs to much to just wing it. If BB feels he is an asset BB reaches up to get him say in the 6th. Maybe the 5th depending on how strong he feels about him and how the draft and draft picks play out.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may have not said it directly, but other people in this thread have asserted he is the best kicker in the league and deserves to continue to be paid at the top of the market. I mean, sure I'd sign him back if he wants to play for a million bucks, but we both know that's never going to happen so why bother entertaining impossibilities? What two kickers were named to the Pro Bowl yesterday? Jason Myers, 3rd NFL stop (plus two trips through the Arena League), $700K salary, and Aldrick Rosas, 2nd NFL stop, $550K salary. I'm 1,000,000% fine with trying to find next year's Jason Myers or Aldrick Rosas and picking up a rookie to compete with him in camp, over spending millions on Gostkowski or any of the FA equivalents (Gould, Bailey, Dawson, etc.)..and history says at least one of those guys will probably be looking for work at a better price point after the season starts, too, if need be, anyway. Just because kickers are important doesn't make them any less fungible. I'm confident on the list of potential reasons that Brady's final seasons might be a letdown, changing kickers will be way far down. And if Gostkowski's really in decline and no longer deserves to be paid at the top of the market, then who's to say he won't be just as much of a risk to Brady's swan song as someone new? Spend that money elsewhere and you're doing a lot more to put a good team around Brady.

That briefs well.

Why do you think Rosas and Myers are making chump change? They are inconsistent thus travelling from team to team and different leagues to find work. When either of them give you 13 years of consistency let's talk. Right now you're catching lightning in a bottle.

Glad to see you've changed your mind on not signing Ski at ALL. At least now you'd give him $1M lol.

If you're upset/dissatisfied now because of the kicking game go ahead and take a chance on a Rosas/Myers... I'm not willing to take that chance unless he's on the PS and Ski shits the bed. As I mentioned in the other post if BB finds a kid he feels confident in then who am I to ague. Go get that kid and hope it pays off. But it will come after a lot of evaluation and negotiation with Ski. BB takes STs as serious if not more then any coach in the league.

In BB I still trust although he's making it harder and harder with each questionable decision.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Ghost is the #1 kicker anymore. Butka of KC seems to be money in the bank. None the less, I said let him walk to see what the market for him will bear. No question some team like the Jets or Dolphins would sign him for a lot more than the patriots will pay. That and they'd feel like they just scooped the Patriots. If BB has confidence and wants to keep him, he should probably sign him now toan extension and pay him what BB thinks he is worth. Thing is that teams are really starting to overpay for positions and players that might not be worthy of the check. Is a kicker worth $15M a year? or $12M? or even $10M? It's pretty much a given that having a good one is critical at critical times, but at what cost?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK we'll have to agree to disagree.

Let's just say he was to blame for the Miami loss. In 13 years the guy has missed 7 PATs and over that same time he's hit on 88% of his FG attempts.

So what about the rest of these games they supposedly lost this season because of the kicking game?

All I'm saying is a team can do a LOT worse then having Gostowski as their kicker. I'd resign him to a fair contract in a heart beat. Maybe even a little better than fair market value. He's proven himself time and time again on the biggest stages and weekly with all the national media NE gets. A rookie is BB evaluates him and says he's good with that, who am I to argue. But until then no one seems to be able to tell me what a Ski contract should be worth or who they would replace him with.

He was a large part of the reason for the Miami loss. As was bad throws by the QB, dropped passes by WR's, missed blocks by the OL....BUT, he has 1 job. When it comes down to a 1 point game, on an absolute shit luck, never happened in the NFL before, miracle, no time on the clock play..? His fault. He left FOUR points on the field. Still a great kicker.

My bad, I thought there was another game that was closer.

I would resign him in a heart beat as well. To a fair contract. Fair to him and the team, meaning above average, but not highest in the league.

I disagree to disagree. He is still a great kicker. But right now, not the greatest.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosthowski's cap number this year is $5MM. If they tagged him the next two years, it would cost them $14.64M. So for a new contract for him you're probably looking at something like 3 years and 16-17 million.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosthowski's cap number this year is $5MM. If they tagged him the next two years, it would cost them $14.64M. So for a new contract for him you're probably looking at something like 3 years and 16-17 million.
No one is tagging him.
He will not get $5M+ or more from NE.
I think 3 years in the neighborhood of $3.5M-4M per year. How much guaranteed could be the tipping scale on whether he stays or walks IMHO.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Ghost is the #1 kicker anymore. Butka of KC seems to be money in the bank. None the less, I said let him walk to see what the market for him will bear. No question some team like the Jets or Dolphins would sign him for a lot more than the patriots will pay. That and they'd feel like they just scooped the Patriots. If BB has confidence and wants to keep him, he should probably sign him now toan extension and pay him what BB thinks he is worth. Thing is that teams are really starting to overpay for positions and players that might not be worthy of the check. Is a kicker worth $15M a year? or $12M? or even $10M? It's pretty much a given that having a good one is critical at critical times, but at what cost?

I can't seem to find ANYONE saying Ski is the #1 kicker. I only see someone accusing others of saying it:scratch::L
$3-$5M is a fair contract for "proven" kickers is fair. I fatten the deal with a good amount of it being guaranteed/upfront.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That ain't going to happen......

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't seem to find ANYONE saying Ski is the #1 kicker. I only see someone accusing others of saying it:scratch::L
$3-$5M is a fair contract for "proven" kickers is fair. I fatten the deal with a good amount of it being guaranteed/upfront.
And or some incentives. And I agree no one said he is the #1 kicker but he's still damn good, proven can kick outside in cold weather so he is an asset IMO

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree with you at all. Maybe I was reading some posts wrong but $16-$17M a year for a kicker is insane. I'd draft one after the third round every year if I had to start looking at paying 9-10% of my CAP for a kicker and not pay an offensive lineman or a great ST player an equal amount. Of course people think I'm insane because I can't see paying guys like Kirk Cousins 3 years $84M with $50M guaranteed.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll re-visit in March when Gostkowski signs his next contract and see who was right about how much it will cost to retain him.