• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Patriot Free Agents

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the side line he has no speed, no blocking, no upper body strength.
Not Bill's fault other teams are over paying second rate players.
I understand he has put his body on the line for the Pats, and I am greatful for the two Lombardi's he has helped bring to New England, but he was paid his agreed upon contract to do that. With incentives.
I truly, truly hope he heals up and comes back and plays productively for 10 more seasons.

But I don't think it will happen, nor do I think he deserves more than a heavy incentive based contract to return if he does want to continue.
Agreed.

Remember this is back spasms this year and he had back issues coming out of college. Gronk will likely end up in a wheelchair early if he keeps playing.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Remember this is back spasms this year and he had back issues coming out of college. Gronk will likely end up in a wheelchair early if he keeps playing.

Like I said, I hope he heals up, but I don't think it will happen.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see BB do his 'early dump' thing with Gronk. And then watch the Patriots play against him and get torched. This team has sucked for the past 5 years trying cover anyone 8-12 yards beyond the line and across the middle. They have made All-Pros out of QBs and TEs between the hashes. Gronk could have a 300 yard game against the Patriots. Make an 8 yard catch and no one has any angle depth and he'd just run to the end zone probably without being touched.

Like Dion Lewis said Sunday, "Patriots are cheap. And now that players are leaving, they'll pay the price."

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see BB do his 'early dump' thing with Gronk. And then watch the Patriots play against him and get torched. This team has sucked for the past 5 years trying cover anyone 8-12 yards beyond the line and across the middle. They have made All-Pros out of QBs and TEs between the hashes. Gronk could have a 300 yard game against the Patriots. Make an 8 yard catch and no one has any angle depth and he'd just run to the end zone probably without being touched.

Like Dion Lewis said Sunday, "Patriots are cheap. And now that players are leaving, they'll pay the price."
How are they cheap? There was no need for Lewis with White back there, they are the same style back but White is the better option. As for Gronk he got a great deal and was willing to sign that deal so IMO there is not screaming I want more money now, not with that building injury history.

Had the Pats won that game Lewis doesnt say dick, it was a bitch as move on his behalf.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many have performed as well as he has over the previous six seasons. Not one season, all six. What makes Gronk valuable is that he can block at the line of scrimmage, has above average speed, has a unique size to go with that speed and has incredible upper body and arm strength. He's truly a one of a kind. The problem that he's dealing with is that TEs of a much less caliber are getting as much, if not more money and are still not coming close to a top level performance. That's because the TE has becoime a "must have" player and GMs and Coaches are paying 2nd level players, 1st level money.
And I'm willing to bet he took home more cash in pocket over those 6 years than any of the others, as well. I'll try to look it up later if I have a chance. He also took an early extension to mitigate some of the risk of his health. So yeah he probably left some money on the table in exchange for more up-front security, but he has most certainly been well-compenstated for his efforts, and characterizing it as "mediocre TE pay" is laughable.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P.S. he's slated to be top 5 in cash payout among all TE's this year even if he doesn't hit his incentives, and the 4 guys ahead of him are all guys that just got new deals (and thus signing bonus checks) this year.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I don't think it will happen, nor do I think he deserves more than a heavy incentive based contract to return if he does want to continue.
I don't think anyone is worth more than an incentive based contract. Then again we don't want a fantasy league either .

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm willing to bet he took home more cash in pocket over those 6 years than any of the others, as well. I'll try to look it up later if I have a chance.

Well, I'd've just barely lost that bet...for 2012-2017, Jimmy Graham took home $41.8MM in cash, Gronk $41.4MM. No other TE took over $40MM during that time period, and the average cash payout to TE's in that time was about $1MM per season. So, again, sorry Chris Gronkowski, but there's no measure by which you can say that your brother has been paid like a mediocre TE.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'd've just barely lost that bet...for 2012-2017, Jimmy Graham took home $41.8MM in cash, Gronk $41.4MM. No other TE took over $40MM during that time period, and the average cash payout to TE's in that time was about $1MM per season. So, again, sorry Chris Gronkowski, but there's no measure by which you can say that your brother has been paid like a mediocre TE.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Gronkowski’s Brother Hints At Star’s Frustration, Need For ‘More Freedom’

He was pissed at the incentive based contract...and yet he is FAR from reaching ANY of the incentives.
Yeah, as much as I appreciate watching him play and everything he has done for the Pats, it may be time to stop abusing that big bod.

He only has so many miles left and he's been own some rough roads.

Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski has worked to overcome mental and physical hurdles, report says

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching this team just crap itself on defense week in and week out, you have to wonder what can be done to get this mess fixed next year. The twenty or so free agents are listed below with my opinion after each name.

Cordarrelle PattersonWR........Resign
Chris HoganWR ...........Resign at a reasonable salary
Phillip Dorsett WR...........Let him go
Josh Gordon WR .........Restricted and should be give a long termdeal if reasonable
Cody Hollister WR........Resign him cheap. He hasn't earn a big payday.
LaAdrian Waddle RT.......Let him go
Kenjon Barner RB..........Let him go
Ryan Allen P ..............Resign him reasonable
Ulrick John LT..............Resign him cheap
Trenton Brown LT.........Try to resign him at a resonablecontract but he's going to get a big offer
Stephen Gostkowski K.........Let him go
Nicholas Grigsby ILB............Let him go
Danny Shelton DT...............Let him go
Malcom Brown DT................Let him go
John Simon DE................Resign him reasonable
Trey Flowers DE..............Resign him, as long as it's not obscene.
Jason McCourty CB..........Let him go
Eric Rowe CB..................Let him go
Johnathan Jones CB.........Resign him reasonable
Brian Schwenke C............Resign him cheap

Dump 9 or even 10 of these guys. Not worth the poor tackling or coverage. Some of these guys have hardly played any significant time .

Below is the IR List

Ulrick John
Darren Andrews
Jeremy Hill
Ryan Izzo
Braxton Berrios
Christian Sam
Isaiah Wynn
Eric Rowe
Ja'Whaun Bentley
Brian Schwenke

Ulrick John T Foot I-R John has been placed on injured reserve while he is recovering from foot surgery to repair a torn tendon.
Darren Andrews WR Knee I-R Andrews reverted back to the injured reserve Non-Football Injury list with a season-ending torn ACL.
Jeremy Hill RB Knee I-R Hill has been placed on the injured reserve list as he suffered a torn ACL in his knee.
Ryan Izzo TE Ankle I-R Izzo has landed on injured reserve with an ankle injury.
Braxton Berrios WR Undisclosed I-R Berrios has landed on injured reserve with an unspecified ailment.
Christian Sam LB Undisclosed I-R Sam has been designated for the injured reserve list with an unspecified injury.
Isaiah Wynn OL Achilles I-R Wynn suffered a torn Achilles and is on the injured reserve list.
Eric Rowe DB Groin I-R Rowe has been placed on the injured reserve list due to a groin injury.
Ja'Whaun Bentley LB Arm I-R Bentley has been placed on the injured reserve list with a right arm injury.
Brian Schwenke C Foot I-R Schwenke has been placed on injured reserve due

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Ghost go why?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's good, but not good enough to continue on as the highest-paid kicker in the league. They can get at least 95% of the production for less than a quarter the cost, those cap dollars are better spent elsewhere at this point.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the top five 2019 Free Agents at each offensive position:

Wide Receiver

1. 1. Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants
    2. Brandin Cooks, Los Angeles Rams
    3. Stefon Diggs, Minnesota Vikings
    4. Golden Tate, Detroit Lions
    5. Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona Cardinals

The top five free-agent wide receivers only scratch the surface of potential movement. Beckham, Cooks and Diggs are 25 years old or younger and established No. 1 targets. Tate is the game's best after the catch. Fitzgerald will again consider retirement next offseason, but three straight 100-reception seasons say he's far from done.

Randall Cobb, Kelvin Benjamin, Devin Funchess, Martavis Bryant, Jermaine Kearse, Rishard Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Cole Beasley, Tyler Lockett and Tyrell Williams are wonderful second-tier options. Whatever skill a team lacks in its passing game, it can find in free agency next year.
Tight End
4 of 10

1. Joe Robbins/Getty Images
    1. Tyler Eifert, Cincinnati Bengals
    2. Delanie Walker, Tennessee Titans
    3. Tyler Kroft, Cincinnati Bengals
    4. Jesse James, Pittsburgh Steelers
    5. Jared Cook, Oakland Raiders

The Bengals will be in a difficult position since both of their tight ends will be available after this season. Eifert is a Pro Bowl-caliber player when healthy. His return to the field this fall after back surgery is vital because almost every team is searching for a mismatch at the position. Kroft developed into more than a blocking tight end last season with 42 receptions and seven touchdowns.

Walker is better than both, but the 33-year-old is in the latter stages of his career.

James and Cook can serve as security blankets for any quarterback.
Offensive Line
5 of 10

1. Phelan M. Ebenhack/Associated Press
    Tackle

1. Taylor Lewan, Tennessee Titans
    2. Jake Matthews, Atlanta Falcons
    3. Duane Brown, Seattle Seahawks
    4. Daryl Williams, Carolina Panthers
    5. Rob Havenstein, Los Angeles Rams

The emphasis placed on established veterans over promising prospects is greater than ever as the collegiate game struggles to produce ready-made offensive linemen. As such, contracts for blockers have skyrocketed the last few years, and the growth should continue with two of the game's better young left tackles, Lewan and Matthews, potentially available in 2019.

Duane Brown, on the other hand, can still land a massive payday—Andrew Whitworth and Nate Solder did despite their ages.

Williams and Havenstein are right tackles.

Guard

1. Ali Marpet, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    2. Shaq Mason, New England Patriots
    3. Quinton Spain, Tennessee Titans
    4. Mike Iupati, Arizona Cardinals
    5. Jack Mewhort, Indianapolis Colts

Guard isn't as glamorous as tackle, but the price tags for some of the league's best interior blockers rival their counterparts. Marpet should be the next to receive a large check because he can excel at both guard spots and center.

Mason is one of the game's best run-blockers, while Spain is 26 years old with 27 starts over the last two seasons.

Iupati and Mewhort could be higher on the list if not for their injury histories.

Center

1. Matt Paradis, Denver Broncos
    2. Mitch Morse, Kansas City Chiefs
    3. Brett Jones, New York Giants
    4. Travis Swanson, New York Jets
    5. Nick Easton, Minnesota Vikings

Center doesn't present the same depth as guard and tackle, but Paradis is an underappreciated and reliable option with 48 starts over the last three seasons

Morse is younger and more physically gifted, yet he dealt with a foot injury in 2017 and needs to return to form.

Jones, Swanson and Easton have all started and have enough flexibility to play guard.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the top free agent defensive players 2019:

Defensive End
6 of 10

1. Chris Szagola/Associated Press
    1. Khalil Mack, Oakland Raiders
    2. Demarcus Lawrence, Dallas Cowboys
    3. Frank Clark, Seattle Seahawks
    4. Ezekiel Ansah, Detroit Lions
    5. Brandon Graham, Philadelphia Eagles

Of the five defensive ends listed, odds are not a single one will become a free agent. Elite pass-rushers rarely do. Mack was the 2016 Defensive Player of the Year, and Lawrence was franchised by the Cowboys.

Clark and Ansah are their teams' top sack artists. And Graham is one of the league's best all-around ends.

The next tier may be more attainable with Trey Flowers, Carlos Dunlap, Cameron Wake, Muhammad Wilkerson, Dante Fowler Jr. and Dion Jordan. That group is quite impressive and will draw plenty of suitors next offseason.
Defensive Tackle
7 of 10

1. Bruce Kluckhohn/Associated Press
    1. Geno Atkins, Cincinnati Bengals
    2. Grady Jarrett, Atlanta Falcons
    3. Sheldon Richardson, Minnesota Vikings
    4. Ndamukong Suh, Los Angeles Rams
    5. David Irving, Dallas Cowboys

Two of the biggest names at defensive tackle along with two premier 3-techniques could be available. Atkins is a half-step behind Aaron Donald as the game's best interior defender; his explosiveness and raw power overwhelm blockers. Suh is still as powerful at the point of attack as anyone. And Jarrett and Richardson are disruptive and constantly play in opponents' backfields.

Irving could be the best of them all if he could stay on the field.

Like the defensive end class, the interior class is deep. Eddie Goldman, Malcom Brown, Danny Shelton, Carl Davis, Bennie Logan, Haloti Ngata and Kyle Williams missed the cut.
Linebacker
8 of 10

1. Michael Wyke/Associated Press
    Outside Linebacker

1. Jadeveon Clowney, Houston Texans
    2. K.J. Wright, Seattle Seahawks
    3. Anthony Barr, Minnesota Vikings
    4. Markus Golden, Arizona Cardinals
    5. Mychal Kendricks, Cleveland Browns

Two designations exist in this position. Clowney, for example, is an edge-rusher disguised as a linebacker. Yes, he can drop into coverage and play in space, but his value is derived from setting the edge and getting after quarterbacks.

Barr and Golden present similar skill sets, though Barr is the best of the three in coverage. Wright and Kendricks are off-ball linebackers who can play anywhere.

Four aging stars—Terrell Suggs, Clay Matthews, Brian Orakpo and Thomas Davis—could test the market as well.

Inside Linebacker

1. C.J. Mosley, Baltimore Ravens
    2. Deone Bucannon, Arizona Cardinals
    3. Avery Williamson, New York Jets
    4. Preston Brown, Cincinnati Bengals
    5. Vince Williams, Pittsburgh Steelers

"Mike" backer used to be the cornerstone position for the game's best defenses. Now, it's much further down the totem pole unless a team has a standout. Mosley is one. The Ravens linebacker has made three Pro Bowls in four seasons as a three-down defender.

Bucannon, meanwhile, fits as a converted safety who excels with his speed and athleticism.

Williamson and Brown are far better working downhill against the run. The latter tied for the league lead last season with 144 total tackles. Williams, on the other hand, took over for Ryan Shazier as the Steelers' play-caller.
Cornerback
9 of 10

1. Matt York/Associated Press
    1. Ronald Darby, Philadelphia Eagles
    2. Bradley Roby, Denver Broncos
    3. Jason Verrett, Los Angeles Chargers
    4. Rashaan Melvin, Oakland Raiders
    5. Vontae Davis, Buffalo Bills

Every team is looking for cornerbacks because a roster can't have too many good cover men. As such, young defensive backs who can start on the outside are more valuable than ever. The Eagles have one of the league's deepest secondaries and may allow Darby to walk despite a stellar start to his career.

Roby will finally become a starter this fall after Aqib Talib's departure—he's been the Broncos' third corner for four seasons. Verrett may be the league's best pure cover corner when healthy. And Both Melvin and Davis are solid starting options.

Brent Grimes, E.J. Gaines, Justin Coleman, Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Jason McCourty and Darqueze Dennard are also due for new contracts.
Safety
10 of 10

1. Adam Hunger/Associated Press
    1. Landon Collins, New York Giants
    2. Earl Thomas, Seattle Seahawks
    3. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Green Bay Packers
    4. Lamarcus Joyner, Los Angeles Rams
    5. Tyrann Mathieu, Houston Texans

The deck is stacked with talented safeties. The fact four are ahead of Mathieu is mind-boggling, but they deserve to be.

The 24-year-old Collins has improved each year and made 341 total tackles in his first three seasons. Thomas is the game's best sideline-to-sideline safety, while Clinton-Dix has started 58 straight contests. And Joyner found a home at free safety last year in Wade Phillips' scheme.

Mathieu is just as good as everyone mentioned, but he's played a full slate only once (last year).

Organizations will also consider Adrian Amos, Ricardo Allen, Jimmie Ward and Quandre Diggs.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The previous posts were created back in late September before players were traded or signed, like Shaq Mason. Interesting that the only Patriot in any of the top five at any position was Mason.

Will the Patriots revert to the annual, "Wait until all of the best are signed and we'll sign the second tier?" mantra of Bill Belichick? Or should they break that mold and go after a Clowney or Odell Beckham?

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many teams with waaay more cap space to burn than the Pats will have. Even if they clean house they still won't have half as much space as the Jets and Colts will have. They'd be able to afford to make a splash, but those two teams, plus the Browns, Raiders, Bills will be able to do cannonballs. Texans have a ton of space, too...Clowney will assuredly be franchised if they don't work out a new deal with him beforehand.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's good, but not good enough to continue on as the highest-paid kicker in the league. They can get at least 95% of the production for less than a quarter the cost, those cap dollars are better spent elsewhere at this point.
Not sure I agree with this. He is still a top kicker in this league.