• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fix It In 2020

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now until next September we'll argue and bitch about everything that the Patriots will do. So I've created this thread to allow everyone to have a place to put their thought and have everyone comment on them. We know BB never listens to us, but hopefully, he'll listen to someone other than himself. We know he won't have Nick Caserio to rely on, so Johnathan Kraft has to force a mindset down Belichick's throat. Here's my take.......grab a cup of coffee or a JB on the rocks......................................

OFFENSE:

Quarterback - As hard as it may be, it's time to move on from Tom Brady. His accuracy and arm strength are diminishing and having him run this offense in the future makes no sense. Give Stidham a shot, but draft a rookie and develop him. Don't bring in Phillip Rivers, he's just Brady in a year or two.

Running Back - Michele and Harris are solid if not fancy. Burkhead may have a couple of years let and he's got great hands for a RB. There's not a great need here. Let Bolden go and bring in a rookie to develop.

Fullback - Devlin is 35 and may have reached the end of the line, but Jackoby Johnson might be the bulldozer that's needed for short yardage.

Tight End - This was nothing more than BB's ego getting in the way of common sense in 2019. He wanted to prove that "he" could win without Gronk. He proved himself wrong because a 38-year-old tight end that couldn't block or run fast enough to get open didn't work. BB also learned that junkpile TEs never work out. If a lousy team doesn't want him, a good team has no place for him. This is a "MUST" draft or "FA" position. (Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper)

Wide Receiver - We honestly don't what we have because we have no idea if these young guys are at fault of if the QB just couldn't move into the 21st Century and take advantage of their specific skills. Harry, Meyer and Dorsett all appear to be able to do special things when given the oppotunity. They are not guys with 38" vertical leaps. Edelman will be 34 and he cannot be the primary target on every play because he got the crap beat out of him this year and having the bye would have been a blessing. Sanu didn't fit Brady's game, but he may fit a new QB's. Look for a tall WR in the mid to late rounds. (AJ Green)

OT - Cannon and Newsome are not the answer, especially at LT. I'll give Newsome credit because he didn't allow a sack once he took over for Cannon on the right side. He was much more comfortable and his footwork was much better. Wynn appears to be improving every game. Cajuste will hopefully be back in 2020 and he could play both sides or backup bothe sides. I'd like to see a LT drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. (Anthony Castonzo, Brian Buluga)

OG - Joe Thuney will get way too much money as a free agent and will be gone. Fortunately, Hajate Froholdt will be coming back off IR and should be able to step in. BB will absolutely have to pick up another young OG in the draft. Karras can backup or spell either Froholdt or Mason.

C - We have no idea if David Andrews will ever be able to play or not. This may be the 1st round pick that will have to be made. Another one will have to be picked up as a free agent at the end of the draft or in the 7th round as well.
K - Ghostkowski will be back. Hope the hip surgery fixed his problem. He'll be 36 and it might be time to start looking for a change, but a young change and not a scrap pile find.
P - Bailey is fine. Plus he can kick off long or short. Need to teach him to throw the ball for a fake punt.
DEFENSE
DE - I'd look for a Bosa clone because this team can't have Wise getting a regular 15 yard stuoid penalty every single game at a critical time.
DT - This is pretty solid and replacing Shelton will be a necessity.(Ndamusong Suh)
LB - I hope both Van Noy and Collins stay, but there will be a ton of money for both of them, especially if Van Noy wins the Walter Payton award. There's always a need for LBs and they are constantly getting dinged up.
CB - Gilmore and JC Jackson are fine and McCourty has been excellent. The team has some young guys that have also played well off the bench or in a Dime or six or seven back set.
Safety - If Devin McCourty retires, this could be a serious problem. Patrick Chung is a huge liability in coverage and over the last four games was like the invisible man tackling anyone. This position will need a full and complete overhaul. The draft and a free agent would be perfect. (Anthony Harris, HaHa Clinton Dix)

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now until next September we'll argue and bitch about everything that the Patriots will do. So I've created this thread to allow everyone to have a place to put their thought and have everyone comment on them. We know BB never listens to us, but hopefully, he'll listen to someone other than himself. We know he won't have Nick Caserio to rely on, so Johnathan Kraft has to force a mindset down Belichick's throat. Here's my take.......grab a cup of coffee or a JB on the rocks......................................

OFFENSE:

Quarterback - As hard as it may be, it's time to move on from Tom Brady. His accuracy and arm strength are diminishing and having him run this offense in the future makes no sense. Give Stidham a shot, but draft a rookie and develop him. Don't bring in Phillip Rivers, he's just Brady in a year or two.

Running Back - Michele and Harris are solid if not fancy. Burkhead may have a couple of years let and he's got great hands for a RB. There's not a great need here. Let Bolden go and bring in a rookie to develop.

Fullback - Devlin is 35 and may have reached the end of the line, but Jackoby Johnson might be the bulldozer that's needed for short yardage.

Tight End - This was nothing more than BB's ego getting in the way of common sense in 2019. He wanted to prove that "he" could win without Gronk. He proved himself wrong because a 38-year-old tight end that couldn't block or run fast enough to get open didn't work. BB also learned that junkpile TEs never work out. If a lousy team doesn't want him, a good team has no place for him. This is a "MUST" draft or "FA" position. (Hunter Henry, Austin Hooper)

Wide Receiver - We honestly don't what we have because we have no idea if these young guys are at fault of if the QB just couldn't move into the 21st Century and take advantage of their specific skills. Harry, Meyer and Dorsett all appear to be able to do special things when given the oppotunity. They are not guys with 38" vertical leaps. Edelman will be 34 and he cannot be the primary target on every play because he got the crap beat out of him this year and having the bye would have been a blessing. Sanu didn't fit Brady's game, but he may fit a new QB's. Look for a tall WR in the mid to late rounds. (AJ Green)

OT - Cannon and Newsome are not the answer, especially at LT. I'll give Newsome credit because he didn't allow a sack once he took over for Cannon on the right side. He was much more comfortable and his footwork was much better. Wynn appears to be improving every game. Cajuste will hopefully be back in 2020 and he could play both sides or backup bothe sides. I'd like to see a LT drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. (Anthony Castonzo, Brian Buluga)

OG - Joe Thuney will get way too much money as a free agent and will be gone. Fortunately, Hajate Froholdt will be coming back off IR and should be able to step in. BB will absolutely have to pick up another young OG in the draft. Karras can backup or spell either Froholdt or Mason.

C - We have no idea if David Andrews will ever be able to play or not. This may be the 1st round pick that will have to be made. Another one will have to be picked up as a free agent at the end of the draft or in the 7th round as well.
K - Ghostkowski will be back. Hope the hip surgery fixed his problem. He'll be 36 and it might be time to start looking for a change, but a young change and not a scrap pile find.
P - Bailey is fine. Plus he can kick off long or short. Need to teach him to throw the ball for a fake punt.
DEFENSE
DE - I'd look for a Bosa clone because this team can't have Wise getting a regular 15 yard stuoid penalty every single game at a critical time.
DT - This is pretty solid and replacing Shelton will be a necessity.(Ndamusong Suh)
LB - I hope both Van Noy and Collins stay, but there will be a ton of money for both of them, especially if Van Noy wins the Walter Payton award. There's always a need for LBs and they are constantly getting dinged up.
CB - Gilmore and JC Jackson are fine and McCourty has been excellent. The team has some young guys that have also played well off the bench or in a Dime or six or seven back set.
Safety - If Devin McCourty retires, this could be a serious problem. Patrick Chung is a huge liability in coverage and over the last four games was like the invisible man tackling anyone. This position will need a full and complete overhaul. The draft and a free agent would be perfect. (Anthony Harris, HaHa Clinton Dix)

QB - Not sure where this will go. If Brady wants to play here, he will play here. He REALLY needs to get back to his younger days where he had no favorite WR and was always looking for the open one. He started focusing on Moss too much and now he is focused too much on Edelman.

RB - Solid without anybody spectacular.

FB - Agree, Johnson could be the future.

TE - Agree. A quick comparison.
Ben Watson; 2019 G Rec Yds Y/R TD
10 17 173 10.2 0
J. Hollister; 11 41 349 8.5 3

WR - Agree. I think Meyers could be a great WR if utilized. Edelman is over targeted. Harry needs more work. Great catch in the endzone yesterday, but he never made an attempt to stab his second foot down. Sanu tries one play then not the next. Dorsett can make one great play, then not the next. More targets may help him. Another deep speed guy would help. Not a critical position of need, but it needs work.

OL - All around.

Defense - not any glaring holes. Safety really. Chung seems to have lost a step and especially if DMac hangs them up.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE needs to be a priority as well and OL

IF Brady comes back its clear he can not skip OTA's because his WR have no clue what they are doing out there

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TE needs to be a priority as well and OL

IF Brady comes back its clear he can not skip OTA's because his WR have no clue what they are doing out there

IMO
QB
TE
WR
RT or C
WR
S

Upinthe North

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So pretty much everything but LB and CB and maybe punter.....wonder If coaching will get tossed in their too (secondary positions?)
:trash:

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m undervaluing the OTA’s. I know he skipped them. But they’ve had 4-5 MONTHS now of practicing together. Is 2 weeks back in the Summer really changing anything that much?? We know Brady and Edelman have the “connection”. Dorsett has been with the Patriots long enough that he should. Harry and Meyers are rookies and still learning. Sanu is brand spanking new and trying to catch on to one of the NFL’s most difficult playbooks. Maybe he’s got too much going on in his head. Too much information that he’s not just letting things flow. IDK??

Team needs for me:
QB
TE
C
RT
S
DT -who can collapse the pocket and get a sack once in awhile.
WR- with speed speed speed!!!
K
K/P returner who can change field position. I don’t care if he can’t do anything else. Don’t need a guy who can do everything ok. Want a guy who can provide a spark and can take it home on any given chance. Bolden and Sanu are blah.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m undervaluing the OTA’s. I know he skipped them. But they’ve had 4-5 MONTHS now of practicing together. Is 2 weeks back in the Summer really changing anything that much?? We know Brady and Edelman have the “connection”. Dorsett has been with the Patriots long enough that he should. Harry and Meyers are rookies and still learning. Sanu is brand spanking new and trying to catch on to one of the NFL’s most difficult playbooks. Maybe he’s got too much going on in his head. Too much information that he’s not just letting things flow. IDK??

Team needs for me:
QB
TE
C
RT
S
DT -who can collapse the pocket and get a sack once in awhile.
WR- with speed speed speed!!!
K
K/P returner who can change field position. I don’t care if he can’t do anything else. Don’t need a guy who can do everything ok. Want a guy who can provide a spark and can take it home on any given chance. Bolden and Sanu are blah.

WR with speed and Hands.
K/P Returner, Wish they had held onto Patterson.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More so, Brady has no idea what they can do and therefore has no use for them. He has to work with them from May and not late August.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I’m undervaluing the OTA’s. I know he skipped them. But they’ve had 4-5 MONTHS now of practicing together. Is 2 weeks back in the Summer really changing anything that much?

Up until 2019, Brady was at every single voluntary workout. Because he was there, everybody was there. The "team" began to meld in may. This year, because Brady didn't go, a few other guys decided to sit home.

Brady couldn't have stopped the ankle injury to Harry in Detroit, but working with Harry in May and June might have had Harry much better prepared and he may never have hurt his ankle and would have been playing in September and October. Then November and December would have been much different for him. Instead of feeling his way around, he might have become Brady's primary target and HE might have 100 receptions.

Driving an 18 wheeler and a Lincoln Navigator are much different. So is trying to bring in multiple new and different wide receivers in the middle of a season.

Brady's accuracy and arm strength have been in question since week 2. It hasn't gotten any better and the WRs have looked bad because 75% of the time, Brady isn't putting the ball where it has to be. I've said this before. How many times have patriots receivers had to go low to catch a ball and not be able to get up and move forward? How many times has Brady picked a WR behind the 1st down marker instead of someone downfield. How many times has Brady locked in on one guy and never looked away, titally missing a wide open receiver. ESPECIALLY, Meyers. He missed him yesterday. The worst miss was against KC at the two on third and goal and he went for Edelman and missed him by six feet.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More so, Brady has no idea what they can do and therefore has no use for them. He has to work with them from May and not late August.

In years past he has played catch with his favorite WR's in California or Montana in the off season.
Moss, Welker, Amendola, Edelman.
If Brady wants to continue and he truly wants #7, he needs to tell ALL his WR's, Be There.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In years past he has played catch with his favorite WR's in California or Montana in the off season.
Moss, Welker, Amendola, Edelman.
If Brady wants to continue and he truly wants #7, he needs to tell ALL his WR's, Be There.

I have a feeling TB is done. He just seems to have lost his passion for the game, he sits on the sidelines and appears disinterested to me.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game yesterday and I will tell you that Gillette Stadium was a morgue for most of the game. Lot's of empty seats, not a lot of noise and a flat uninspired Patriots team on the field made for a sucky trip to Foxboro.

As for my take on what BB and his staff needs to focus on, they need help on the O-line, the O-line, TE and more O-line. I disagree with @BigKen about Brady's arm strength, but his accuracy has been severely affected by his O-line allowing him to get the tar beat out of him pretty much every time he drops back.

If TB12 doesn't come back for 2020, not much of that is going to matter, but if he does and the O-line sucks as bad as it did this year Brady it won't be pretty.

There are other holes and needs, but nothing as glaring as that collection of knuckleheads that masqueraded as professional offensive linemen this season :L

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling TB is done. He just seems to have lost his passion for the game, he sits on the sidelines and appears disinterested to me.

Don't blow smoke up my ass with "I want to play until I'm 45", if you do not want to play until you're 43.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TB12 doesn't come back for 2020, not much of that is going to matter, but if he does and the O-line sucks as bad as it did this year Brady it won't be pretty.

There are other holes and needs, but nothing as glaring as that collection of knuckleheads that masqueraded as professional offensive linemen this season :L

If TB12 does not come back, we will still need an improved O-Line for Stidham/Rivers/Hoyer/Rookie...

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TB12 does not come back, we will still need an improved O-Line for Stidham/Rivers/Hoyer/Rookie...

Oh yeah, no doubt. If Andrews is unable to resume his career they are screwed. Replacing one or two guys with serviceable players isn't easy, replacing the entire group is going to be quite the challenge.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rivers? Rivers is more done than Brady.

Meh if TB leaves the Pats will likely sign a vet and a rookie competition

I just don't see Rivers moving to the east coast and I have a hard time accepting that BB would want to coach an INT machine like him. Maybe I'm wrong, but....................................

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Oline yesterday:

Wynn Thiuney Karras Mason Newspmw

2020 as of now:

Wynn Froholdt ???? Mason Cajuste

What I'd like to see September 2020