• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
itll be interesting to see.

This year is definitely about (i) developing the young guys, (ii) trying to acquire more picks/assets/young players, and (iii) making sure they keep their lotto pick.

Right about when the Cavs get the All Star game, again, they should have a pretty nice, exciting young team with a lot of flexibility. Shoudl be interesting.

I think that between Clarkson, Knight, TT, Delly, Henson---- all expiring contracts, the Cavs will pull off a move or two. Who knows who it will be.

A Clarkson/TT package could really be nice for a prospective contender- that is for sure.
Yep...unfortunately the team who could use them has nothing to offer. Not that Dan would go out of his way to help them.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont think its funny that Dwight might come back to the Lakers? I think thats fucking hilarious.......that would be some amazing comedy. I bet the league is PRAYING that it happens--- and because of Pelinka's incompetence rounding out the roster, we just might get it!!!!!

I dont think we are lucky enough to get Carmelo AND Dwight though. That would just be too much.

I don't give a shit what their names are as long as they can fulfill the needs of the depth roles they would be filling. Can Dwight handle getting backup minutes at center behind McGee?
Agree with your first comment.

Second? Yeah...sucks....wish we had an owner who pinched pennies.

Taking on salary for 2nd round picks is probably more expensive than just buying those picks outright. There's a difference between being cheap and spending wisely.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately, it's like asking if you would spend $18 on a boring movie if you were fronted $20. Exactly what value do you get out of that answer?
Yeah....spending too much on a movie is far less likely to happen than time travel.

That deserves a "ya gotta love this forum".

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give a shit what their names are as long as they can fulfill the needs of the depth roles they would be filling. Can Dwight handle getting backup minutes at center behind McGee?

Taking on salary for 2nd round picks is probably more expensive than just buying those picks outright. There's a difference between being cheap and spending wisely.
can he handle backup minutes? of course he can- he can produce too---- last year was a throw-away but the previous year he played 80 games and averagedd damn near 17pts 13 boards a game with the Hornets.

The questions with Dwight will be----- are they just empty stats? does he actually help you win? and is he an asshole?

I mean, maybe the Lakers can dust off those billboards they used to try and get him to stay last time...lol.

Photobydlee042Instagram_20130709-103051_crop_north.png

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....spending too much on a movie is far less likely to happen than time travel.

That deserves a "ya gotta love this forum".

It was your damn question. Would team A take the more expensive player if they didn't have to follow salary cap rules? That's only a semblance of a question in small, budget-minded markets, since you also didn't want to allow team A to split that newfound money between multiple additions or to be utilized at a different position.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a smart GM give up young players on a young team for an aging role player to maybe make the playoffs a year ahead of schedule, knowing that still doesn't make your team a title contender?

BTW, I do love that so many think the same Lakers kids that everyone was hating on are suddenly the core of a playoff team with the addition of even rawer rookies around them and a vet PG playing SG. It exposes the levels of agenda around here lol.
It's more about the picks for the Cavs. The players are needed to balance out the contracts (assuming NO is over the cap or near it).

I guess he's aging in the sense everyone is aging, but he's still relatively young.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...unfortunately the team who could use them has nothing to offer. Not that Dan would go out of his way to help them.
oh yah- totally devoid of anything the Cavs would want that is for sure. I bet Clarkson is dealt...def. wouldnt be surprised to see Henson dealt either since when he is healthy he can help a team too. TT, itll be interesting to see what happens.

Knight actually looked decent at times last year too- he finally looks like hei s getting at least semi-healthy after a long time so we shall see how that goes as well. Teams like guys on expiring deals that can help round out a playoff rotation.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You think he should have let TT walk and not paid him? They met in the middle...like most negotiations.

Love is still a solid player and could also be moveable if they wanted to move on in a couple years.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was your damn question. Would team A take the more expensive player if they didn't have to follow salary cap rules? That's only a semblance of a question in small, budget-minded markets, since you also didn't want to allow team A to split that newfound money between multiple additions or to be utilized at a different position.

:pop2:

Thank God its your turn.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you were the one who said shouldn't be discussed simply because it was a hypothetical that would never happen.

Just like time travel dropping prime MJ into today's game. That's now on page 10+

Then you tried to argue that adjusting cap rules or paying a guy less than you ended up paying him was less likely to happen than time travel.

Lie, dance, deflect, distort....you cannot really get out of that one.

But you'll try.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can he handle backup minutes? of course he can- he can produce too---- last year was a throw-away but the previous year he played 80 games and averagedd damn near 17pts 13 boards a game with the Hornets.

The questions with Dwight will be----- are they just empty stats? does he actually help you win? and is he an asshole?

I mean, maybe the Lakers can dust off those billboards they used to try and get him to stay last time...lol.

Photobydlee042Instagram_20130709-103051_crop_north.png

Asshole may be a bit strong, but he clearly doesn't care about the team concept much. Wants to have fun and be the center of attention more than focus on winning basketball, at least in the past. Has he had a moment of clarity from being dumped even from lottery teams lately? I'm not so sure.

He was a lot more relevant 6 years ago when that billboard existed. Even so, he really ended up only costing the Lakers the imploding health of Bynum, McBob, and two second round picks. It was more about the disappointment in his play.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you were the one who said shouldn't be discussed simply because it was a hypothetical that would never happen.

Just like time travel dropping prime MJ into today's game. That's now on page 10+

Then you tried to argue that adjusting cap rules or paying a guy less than you ended up paying him was less likely to happen than time travel.

Lie, dance, deflect, distort....you cannot really get out of that one.

But you'll try.

Do you see me on that MJ thread? I'll help you out....I'm not there.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he should have let TT walk and not paid him? They met in the middle...like most negotiations.

Love is still a solid player and could also be moveable if they wanted to move on in a couple years.

They shouldn't have overpaid Love. By the time they are any good again (assuming that happens), he'll be an expensive anchor dragging the team down. TT got overpaid, but that was the Lebron effect (just like JR getting overpaid).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Asshole may be a bit strong, but he clearly doesn't care about the team concept much. Wants to have fun and be the center of attention more than focus on winning basketball, at least in the past. Has he had a moment of clarity from being dumped even from lottery teams lately? I'm not so sure.

He was a lot more relevant 6 years ago when that billboard existed. Even so, he really ended up only costing the Lakers the imploding health of Bynum, McBob, and two second round picks. It was more about the disappointment in his play.
Didn't he seem to have an epiphany in a conversation with Kobe or replying to comments made by Kobe? Certainly possible he's learned from past transgressions.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They shouldn't have overpaid Love. By the time they are any good again (assuming that happens), he'll be an expensive anchor dragging the team down. TT got overpaid, but that was the Lebron effect (just like JR getting overpaid).
Debatable. Not like they can attract FAs with no chance to win (and that's clearly the case with no Love) and the things Love does well (shoot, rebound, pass) shouldn't be lessened much into his early 30s I wouldn't think.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hmm....maybe you can answer then.

What is less likely to happen...
A) changes to salaries/cap
B) Time travel.

This is another 100%er @Bart

C. You don’t argue here with everyone, every day.