• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is a good example. me being me often comes to me educating you. I really do understand you lack comprehension, but let me help you - again.

I didn't question what you thought his next contract would be.....I questioned you thinking Lebron "bailed him out" on his last one.

But don't worry.....I'm sure even though the mistake was yours you or someone else can call me out for your error then play the "it's everyone else" card.

Im glad you’re content thinking Cavs giving him that contract had nothing to do with James/Klutch.
Really no more needs to be said.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is a good example. me being me often comes to me educating you. I really do understand you lack comprehension, but let me help you - again.

I didn't question what you thought his next contract would be.....I questioned you thinking Lebron "bailed him out" on his last one.

But don't worry.....I'm sure even though the mistake was yours you or someone else can call me out for your error then play the "it's everyone else" card.

Just curious.
Did LeBron/Klutch bail out JR on his contract IYO?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit comes full circle

Not sure what I think of this. I don't like the guy and especially don't like how he conducted himself in his 1 season with the Lakers.

Trying to look at it objectively:

2017-18 was his last full season. He averaged 16.6 points and 12.5 rebounds per game. He played in 81 games and averaged 30 minutes per game. The Lakers could definitely use the rebounding.

Between him, AD and McGee, it should be tough for teams to score inside. But of the 3, only AD is likely to be able to defend the perimeter well.

On the other hand, he also only played in 9 games last year (still averaged 13 and 9 in about 25 minutes playing time) due to back surgery and a hamstring issue. He's also 33. Not ancient, but not young either.

If he's healthy and can handle the boos that he will likely initially get from fans, he could help. Plus, options are pretty limited.

Lebron should be able to help keep him in check.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so as I said, it's not TTs price as the reason LA wouldn't want him. It's that he was not available to sign. But this whole thing is a hypothetical as we knew they could not sign TT as a FA.

I disagree.

When the Lakers had a shot at Kawhi, they were willing to go with bargain basement players to fill out the roster because they would have had Lebron, AD and Kawhi.

When Kawhi chose the Clippers, they had to use the available cap space to fill out the roster with better quality players.

I don't think they would have wanted him at his current price because it wouldn't have left them enough to sign the quality of players they needed.

So, if he were an FA and they could get him for around $10 million, they probably do that.

But I seriously doubt they would have given him the $18.5 million he is set to make this season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know about "bailed him out", but Lebron is a very big part of why he got the money he did.

The Cavs needed what TT brings. They could have gotten the same production from a lower priced player, but even if they let TT walk, they wouldn't have had the cap space to add what they needed. But they could overpay TT to keep him because he was their FA.

TT is someone Lebron likes and wanted on the team, Lebron's agency also represents TT.

So, the combination of the Cavs needs, cap space, the fact that no other team was giving him that kind of deal and Lebron wanting him on the team is what "bailed him out".

Ftr, this is not a criticism of the Cavs, TT, Klutch or Lebron. It was actually a win for everyone involved, imo.

The Cavs got a title out of it, so it was worth the money.

TT got more money than he was ever going to get from anyone else, plus a ring.

Lebron got to keep a guy on the team that he wanted and got another ring.

A bigger contract for TT meant more money for Klutch.

Everybody wins.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about "bailed him out", but Lebron is a very big part of why he got the money he did.

The Cavs needed what TT brings. But, they could have gotten the same production from a lower priced player, but even if they let TT walk, they wouldn't have had the cap space to add what they needed. But they could overpay TT to keep him because he was their FA.

TT is someone Lebron likes and wanted on the team, Lebron's agency also represents TT.

So, the combination of the Cavs needs, cap space, the fact that no other team was giving him that kind of deal and Lebron wanting him on the team is what "bailed him out".

Ftr, this is not a criticism of the Cavs, TT, Klutch or Lebron. It was actually a win for everyone involved, imo.

The Cavs got a title out of it, so it was worth the money. TT got more money than he was ever going to get from anyone else, plus a ring.

Lebron got to keep a guy on the team that he wanted and got another ring.

A bigger contract for TT meant more money for Klutch.

Everybody wins.

And the Cavs did not have any alternatives because they were over the cap.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG why...?!

I like the idea of the Dwight returning to the purple 'n gold.

downloaddsffd.jpg

And the next player they should go after is this gunner so he can kick-it with his homeboy LeHollywood in LA LA Land.

downloadasdsdasda.jpg

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Cavs did not have any alternatives because they were over the cap.

Disagree, and this is where LeBron comes into it.
Normally a team can put an offer out or decide to match another teams.

No team offered anything.
Cavs paid him what he wanted, or very close to it.

“After appearing close to signing a five-year, $80 million deal, Thompson began asking for a max deal of five years and $94 million. Thompson’s agent, Rich Paul, reportedly lowered the request to three years, $53 million, which did not interest Cleveland.

The fourth-year forward has a few options now that the deadline has passed. He can sign a deal with Cleveland anywhere from one to five years, or Thompson could seek an two-to-four-year offer from a different team. Because Thompson is a restricted free agent, the Cavaliers would have the right to match any outside offer and keep him in Cleveland.”

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree, and this is where LeBron comes into it.
Normally a team can put an offer out or decide to match another teams.

No team offered anything.
Cavs paid him what he wanted, or very close to it.

“After appearing close to signing a five-year, $80 million deal, Thompson began asking for a max deal of five years and $94 million. Thompson’s agent, Rich Paul, reportedly lowered the request to three years, $53 million, which did not interest Cleveland.

The fourth-year forward has a few options now that the deadline has passed. He can sign a deal with Cleveland anywhere from one to five years, or Thompson could seek an two-to-four-year offer from a different team. Because Thompson is a restricted free agent, the Cavaliers would have the right to match any outside offer and keep him in Cleveland.”

That is all true and LeBron definitely jacked up the price.

But like I said, Cleveland did not have an alternative player to sign with that money. It was either pay TT and keep LeBron happy, or sign a vet min player.

That is a no brainer from Cleveland’s point of view assuming they wanted to keep LeBron.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is all true and LeBron definitely jacked up the price.

But like I said, Cleveland did not have an alternative player to sign with that money. It was either pay TT and keep LeBron happy, or sign a vet min player.

That is a no brainer from Cleveland’s point of view assuming they wanted to keep LeBron.

Or, see if he would have actually sat and not make anything.
I know they couldn’t waste a LeBron season and had to somewhat cave, but for @dtgold88 to say LeBron didnt get him paid is assinine.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, see if he would have actually sat and not make anything.
I know they couldn’t waste a LeBron season and had to somewhat cave, but for @dtgold88 to say LeBron didnt get him paid is assinine.

Right.

But LeBron had them by the short and curlies with his 1 year deals.

They had to pay TT what Klutch was asking. Of course LeBron got him paid above market value. Especially considering this was the year before the big cap hike.

But, because because Cleveland could not use that money to sign another player it really only impacted Gilbert’s wallet. And of course LeBron was okay with that.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,106.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what I think of this. I don't like the guy and especially don't like how he conducted himself in his 1 season with the Lakers.

Trying to look at it objectively:

2017-18 was his last full season. He averaged 16.6 points and 12.5 rebounds per game. He played in 81 games and averaged 30 minutes per game. The Lakers could definitely use the rebounding.

Between him, AD and McGee, it should be tough for teams to score inside. But of the 3, only AD is likely to be able to defend the perimeter well.

On the other hand, he also only played in 9 games last year (still averaged 13 and 9 in about 25 minutes playing time) due to back surgery and a hamstring issue. He's also 33. Not ancient, but not young either.

If he's healthy and can handle the boos that he will likely initially get from fans, he could help. Plus, options are pretty limited.

Lebron should be able to help keep him in check.
I agree.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.

But LeBron had them by the short and curlies with his 1 year deals.

They had to pay TT what Klutch was asking. Of course LeBron got him paid above market value. Especially considering this was the year before the big cap hike.

But, because because Cleveland could not use that money to sign another player it really only impacted Gilbert’s wallet. And of course LeBron was okay with that.

Correct.
We’re agreeing with each other.
Boiled down to Gilbert had to honor his word to LeBron, which in turn guaranteed TT to in essence set his own price.