• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Kawhi to the Lakers thing is really starting to pick up steam. To the point where it almost seems as if the Lakers have already pretty much convinced Kawhi

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Kawhi to the Lakers thing is really starting to pick up steam. To the point where it almost seems as if the Lakers have already pretty much convinced Kawhi

That would be insane.

If it happens, So much for LeBron giving up on winning and nobody wanting to play with him.

Who was it that kept saying those things?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this been posted as i been away from SportsHoopla since early this afternoon.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they were supposed to sign 1 year deals. I am not even talking about that.

The 1 year players they chose to sign were a disaster though.

And everybody outside the Laker FO could clearly see that coming.
well, outside the FO and the apologists here.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this been posted as i been away from SportsHoopla since early this afternoon.

Philly would get better future assets in a Miami deal than Houston deal. Gordon, Tucker and a 1st or Rich, Winslow and a 1st. I take Miami

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't recall saying that Pelinka needed to be fired.

No, he got the AD trade done and created the necessary cap space to get another top FA. Now we have to see what else he can get done.

I'm not so much defending him as pointing out that we don't have all of the information re: what happened during the trade negotiations and pointing out what he did right.

I have simply said that we don't know if Pelinka is a good GM or not, but that since Magic left and Jeanie put him in charge, I and other Lakers fans are happy with what he's done. In fact, I even said that he may still end up being a terrible GM.

Whether the timing of the trade was an oversight by Pelinka, something the Pels insisted on or a little of both...the trade got done and he created the cap space that everyone seemed sure that he couldn't.

You are the one that claimed he made all kinds of mistakes and then why asked you what mistakes he made...you came up with one possible mistake that we don't know for certain was a mistake (and if it was, has since been corrected) and saying that he hasn't shown you anything.
Most of what you say is fair, but HE did not create the space, AD did by waiving his kicker.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RUMOR: ESPN's Brian Windhorst Reveals Who Is Now Interested In Joining LeBron James, Lakers

The Lakers created a third max slot on Thursday after agreeing to a trade with the Washington Wizards. The expectation is Los Angeles wants to use that third max slot on Kyrie Irving or Kawhi Leonard.

Windhorst says other second-tier and third-tier free agents want to play for the Lakers now that they have Anthony Davis next to LeBron James:

“There are guys out there who are lining up to join the Lakers, even if they’re on minimum contracts,” Windhorst said on ESPN radio. “Guys want to join this team, they want to be a part of this team, there’s a momentum there.”

Some free agents who the Lakers could take a look at are Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Derrick Rose, Jamal Crawford and Markieff Morris. LA needs a starting point guard, as they sent Lonzo Ball to the New Orleans Pelicans in the Davis trade.

The Lakers could decide to re-sign Rajon Rondo since he has a good rapport with Davis. Rondo and AD played one season together in New Orleans.

It’s shaping up to be a good 2019-20 season for the Lakers. With Davis and James in the mix, Los Angeles could contend for a championship. We’ll see if they decide to use that third max slot on a star player or break it up to fill out the roster.
I could certainly see guys like this coming, but would be lunacy to "credit" Pelinka for those types of deals. Hell, the Cavs were able to get that type of player to play in Cleveland with only Lebron and Love as the top guys.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair,

TT’s contract was a higher percentage of a max deal back then than 4 year 90 million would be for Barnes today.

The difference though, is that the Cavs were capped out and no viable alternative to spend that money.
Agreed....AND the cavs knew the cap was set to explode shortly down the road and TT would then be underpaid.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic still carries some weight with today's players, even though most have probably never seen him play, and Kawhi grew up in the LA area.

He never should have been in that executive role. Schmoozing FA's during meetings should have been his role all along.
agreed....but Magic ripped the current Laker GM who would be the one needed to sign Kawhi and make future moves.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed....AND the cavs knew the cap was set to explode shortly down the road and TT would then be underpaid.

When people were crushing the Cavs for TT’s contract a few years ago, I was not one of them.

They had to retain him.

Also, I believe LeBron wanted to stick it to Gilbert a bit by making him overpay TT. And he did overpay, but not egregiously.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he's not the best player anymore. Like tlance said, he might be the 3rd best of that trio.
Might be, but if I had to go into playoffs next year without one of them and I got to pick who was out it would not be Lebron (if all were healthy).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When people were crushing the Cavs for TT’s contract a few years ago, I was not one of them.

They had to retain him.

Also, I believe LeBron wanted to stick it to Gilbert a bit by making him overpay TT. And he did overpay, but not egregiously.
I don't disagree (other than Lebron sticking it to Gilbert...was more about Klutch getting more $$), as nearly all non-max level FAs who are at least solid starters or even rotational players could be called overpaid.

As I know you know, it was sign TT or air and as long as Gilbert would pay what's the diff? They could have paid him nothing and it wouldn't have helped them.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of what you say is fair, but HE did not create the space, AD did by waiving his kicker.

The Lakers were looking at about $24 million in cap space. AD waiving his trade bonus got them to $28 million and Pelinka sent 3 contracts to the Wizards basically for cash, which got them to $32 million.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree (other than Lebron sticking it to Gilbert...was more about Klutch getting more $$), as nearly all non-max level FAs who are at least solid starters or even rotational players could be called overpaid.

As I know you know, it was sign TT or air and as long as Gilbert would pay what's the diff? They could have paid him nothing and it wouldn't have helped them.

Yeah. That was my own personal theory.

I believe that part of LeBron’s return to Cleveland was that he got to hold Gilbert’s feet to the fire and his agency forced Gilbert to overpay guys like TT and Smith. Just a small way for LBJ to get back at Gilbert without hurting Cleveland’s ability to contend while he was there.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 147,157.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant saying it’s Brooklyn, New York, Clippers or Warriors, we already knew that.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3