• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of people saying the Barnes signing/contract is crazy for the Kings, and maybe it'll turn out to be a mistake. But he's still only 27, is an actual SF which the team needs, plays solid defense, shoots 37% from 3 for his career, and should be much better as a 3rd/4th/5th option rather than be forced to be the #1 guy. Yeah it's an overpay but the Kings are a team that generally will need to pay more to get good players. And nobody really thought they could get a Kawhi/KD/Butler to fill that spot anyway, they could still go after Tobias Harris and play him at 4 but he's unlikely to choose them either. The alternative is either spending a lot less on a bad/below average SF which makes the team worse or overpay on a different SF who may or may not be better. If they either sign one of the key centers in FA or trade for one(Capela/Adams) then their starting 5 is set with likely some money left to improve the bench.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a lot of people saying the Barnes signing/contract is crazy for the Kings, and maybe it'll turn out to be a mistake. But he's still only 27, is an actual SF which the team needs, plays solid defense, shoots 37% from 3 for his career, and should be much better as a 3rd/4th/5th option rather than be forced to be the #1 guy. Yeah it's an overpay but the Kings are a team that generally will need to pay more to get good players. And nobody really thought they could get a Kawhi/KD/Butler to fill that spot anyway, they could still go after Tobias Harris and play him at 4 but he's unlikely to choose them either. The alternative is either spending a lot less on a bad/below average SF which makes the team worse or overpay on a different SF who may or may not be better. If they either sign one of the key centers in FA or trade for one(Capela/Adams) then their starting 5 is set with likely some money left to improve the bench.

Vucevic would be a nice target and it's possible if ORL doesn't want to give him big money.

I thought it was an overpay but I also said who are the Kings really going to lure to Sac-town. Like you said, you have to overpay. Kinda what the Cavs did with Love, even though imo Love is a much better player when healthy. The Kings built this team through the draft and have to continue, maybe they can sway one FA to town like Vucevic but it's really their only hope until they start getting to the playoffs consistently or competing.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vucevic would be a nice target and it's possible if ORL doesn't want to give him big money.

I thought it was an overpay but I also said who are the Kings really going to lure to Sac-town. Like you said, you have to overpay. Kinda what the Cavs did with Love, even though imo Love is a much better player when healthy. The Kings built this team through the draft and have to continue, maybe they can sway one FA to town like Vucevic but it's really their only hope until they start getting to the playoffs consistently or competing.
Vuc, Lopez, Horford, and even Dedmon could be good fits on this team, and like I said they could trade for a Center from a team who needs to dump salary depending on what they expect back. I'd probably have Barnes closer to 4/80 but I don't think it's as big of an overpay as people think. As much as I wanted Kawhi on the team he isn't choosing the Kings. A starting lineup of Fox/Buddy/Barnes/Bagley/Vuc(or Horford) looks pretty good to me.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like the Kings are magically going to lure FA's to Sac-town though so I understand the move, it's just...it's Harrison Barnes cmon
It's deals like these that make me laugh when TT is still referred to as overpaid. And there will be more like this next week.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vuc, Lopez, Horford, and even Dedmon could be good fits on this team, and like I said they could trade for a Center from a team who needs to dump salary depending on what they expect back. I'd probably have Barnes closer to 4/80 but I don't think it's as big of an overpay as people think. As much as I wanted Kawhi on the team he isn't choosing the Kings. A starting lineup of Fox/Buddy/Barnes/Bagley/Vuc(or Horford) looks pretty good to me.
I do think it's an overpay but there will be many more in the days to come. As mentioned, nearly all guys who aren't max level FAs get way more than they should.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he leaves the Raptors, the most he can get is $32.7M (same as Kyrie, Klay, Butler, etc; they are all eligible for 30% of the cap). Durant is eligible for 35%, DLo 25%.

Oh. Well, glad I'm wrong. Hope they get him. I don't think they will. But I'd love to be wrong about that too. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laker fans in 2016: Warriors ruined the league.

Laker fans in 2019: We got Lebron, AD, and now we're gonna get Kawhi. Let's superteam this bitch to the max!

Which Lakers fans said that?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going on record and saying that wasn't me...

in my view, stopping Cleveland 3 outta 4 times, was doing the Lord's work... and keeping WiggityWack on constant suicide watch...:heh:

Yeah, I've supported KD doing what he wanted to do with his career since the day he joined them. I've also said many times how much fun the Warriors are to watch.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does this repeatedly have to be explained? The Lakers missed on their targets last year, and were trying to preserve cap space for this summer. So they signed a bunch of 1 year deals to bridge the gap (as the Knicks are likely to do with at least one max contract's worth of cap space this summer). By the time the Kawhi trade was done, the options were limited. Even then, they did reasonably hit with Rondo and McGee. Lance and the others didn't have much positive impact, if not being net negatives.

The Lakers hate (and Pelinka hate) is palpable. Exactly which players on the Lakers roster currently weren't brought in with Pelinka as the GM? Here's a hint: none of them. He was the GM when they traded DLo/Mozgov for Lopez/1st(Kuzma). He was the GM when Lebron came to town. He was the GM when they traded for AD (post Magic). He was the GM that traded for the second rounder (Teren Horton-Tucker). He signed Caruso and Williams to 2-way contracts with the Lakers (now RFAs).

The stories of dysfunction in the front office wouldn't even have been news had it not been about a high profile team like the Lakers. I would feel better if the Rambii weren't involved, but so far no tragedies.

Of course they were supposed to sign 1 year deals. I am not even talking about that.

The 1 year players they chose to sign were a disaster though.

And everybody outside the Laker FO could clearly see that coming.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if you try to use that leverage and the negotiations move past the draft, then where are you at? The draft pick then becomes more difficult to move (or keep, depending on who made the pick). Does the standoff then go into free agency, mucking things up further? We're talking two future 1sts, hopefully (and likely?) late 1sts.
uh.i think what you are insinuating is that there was presure on the Lakers to get a deal done before the draft, and while that is true- the same exact pressure was on the Pelicans--- they obviously wanted to move the pick- which they cant do if they dont have it. etc.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know that he didn't. What we do know is that July 6th was the date that the Pels wanted and the Lakers ultimately agreed. We don't know how much of a sticking point the date was.

So, I really don't see how it can be called a mistake since we don't know why that date was agreed upon.

Heard from who? No one who was actually part of the negotiation has said anything. There was a lot assumed by a lot of people who are looking pretty clueless right now.

And of course they gave up a ton. They were getting a top 5 player in the league. Those tend to be expensive.

Easy or not, it still had to be done and he not only got them the cap space, but he also got the Wizards to give the Lakers cash on top of it.

As you yourself said, when you have a chance to get a guy like AD, you give up whatever you have to. So, this doesn't qualify as a mistake.

So you not being convinced that he could be a good GM is a mistake?

Pelinka is inexperienced, so we really have no idea how good he may be and a lot can still go wrong.

Just timing can go wrong. If he waits too long trying to "bag an elephant" and strikes out, there may not be many, if any, good role players to try to sign.

That makes me and other Lakers fans nervous, which it should. He has no track record to point to.

It's funny though. You claimed that he's made mistakes, but in your post the only "mistake" you came up with was something that we don't know if it was a mistake or not, because we don't know how much of a sticking point it was for the Pels.

And, end of the day, he added a top 5 player in the league to another top 5 player in the league and cleared the cap space the Lakers need to land a top FA or add 2 or 3 really good role players.

He may still end up being a terrible GM...but so far, so good.

Literally a week ago we were talking about Pelinka needing to be fired.

Really the only thing that has changed since then is AD waiving his trade kicker. The trade was nothing.

You all can defend your boy all you want. My analysis has been pretty objective though. And I can only go on the information that gets reported.