• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you were really a Lakers fan, you'd know that this isn't true. Shaq left because of money.

The Lakers weren't paying him because they were going to choose Kobe. Kobe was headed out if Shaq stayed so the Lakers had no reason to pay him. Kobe forced the Lakers hand. I don't know how you don't know this.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, it isn't. Shaq put publicly put pressure on Doc Buss to pay him...

He put pressure but in the end they had to make a choice because Kobe wasn't going to stay if Shaq was there. Why would the Lakers pay Shaq if they lose Kobe? Shaq knew this so he left.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers weren't paying him because they were going to choose Kobe. Kobe was headed out if Shaq stayed so the Lakers had no reason to pay him. Kobe forced the Lakers hand. I don't know how you don't know this.

Not entirely true.

Dr. Buss only wanted to give one max deal. So, he chose to give it to the younger player who worked on his game and stayed in shape year round over the player who was known for showing up to training camp out of shape and trying to "play himself into shape".

Kobe also would get any medical issues taken care of during the off-season. Meanwhile, Shaq said "I got hurt on company time, I'm gonna heal on company time."

Shaq had a year left on his deal and was trying to renegotiate his next contract. Had he simply let his agent handle the negotiation while he just concentrated on basketball and having a great season, Dr. Buss would have paid him. Especially if they won another title.

Instead, Shaq grew impatient. I was watching the pre-season game where Shaq threw down a monster dunk and then screamed "You gonna pay me now?" at Dr. Buss. When Shaq did that, I knew Dr. Buss would trade him.

Don't get me wrong, the Kobe/Shaq feud was a real thing. Kobe didn't like Shaq's laziness and didn't feel he conducted himself like a true leader. Kobe had been in the league for a few years by then and felt that it was time for Shaq to "pass the torch."

Shaq also tried to blame Kobe when he left. However, since then, Shaq has said that he left because of money, that he and Kobe would have figured out how to co-exist and that he should have listened to Kobe re: staying in shape, etc.

The funny thing is that if Shaq had taken the same attitude with Kobe and the Lakers that he did with D-Wade and the Heat ("it's his team, I'm just here to help")...

And/or if Kobe had taken the same attitude towards Shaq that Magic did with Kareem (Magic always called him "Cap" and publicly deferred to Kareem, even after everyone knew it was Magic's team)...Shaq likely remains a Laker and they may have gotten a couple more titles together.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely true.

Dr. Buss only wanted to give one max deal. So, he chose to give it to the younger player who worked on his game and stayed in shape year round over the player who was known for showing up to training camp out of shape and trying to "play himself into shape".

Kobe also would get any medical issues taken care of during the off-season. Meanwhile, Shaq said "I got hurt on company time, I'm gonna heal on company time."

Shaq had a year left on his deal and was trying to renegotiate his next contract. Had he simply let his agent handle the negotiation while he just concentrated on basketball and having a great season, Dr. Buss would have paid him. Especially if they won another title.

Instead, Shaq grew impatient. I was watching the pre-season game where Shaq threw down a monster dunk and then screamed "You gonna pay me now?" at Dr. Buss. When Shaq did that, I knew Dr. Buss would trade him.

Don't get me wrong, the Kobe/Shaq feud was a real thing. Kobe didn't like Shaq's laziness and didn't feel he conducted himself like a true leader. Kobe had been in the league for a few years by then and felt that it was time for Shaq to "pass the torch."

Shaq also tried to blame Kobe when he left. However, since then, Shaq has said that he left because of money, that he and Kobe would have figured out how to co-exist and that he should have listened to Kobe re: staying in shape, etc.

The funny thing is that if Shaq had taken the same attitude with Kobe and the Lakers that he did with D-Wade and the Heat ("it's his team, I'm just here to help")...

And/or if Kobe had taken the same attitude towards Shaq that Magic did with Kareem (Magic always called him "Cap" and publicly deferred to Kareem, even after everyone knew it was Magic's team)...Shaq likely remains a Laker and they may have gotten a couple more titles together.

If Kobe wanted Shaq to stay he would have made a public announcement asking him to stay. He wasn't interested in playing with Shaq so the Lakers got rid of Shaq. If Kobe asked for Shaq to stay they would have obliged. Buss would have signed both to a max deal just so he wouldn't have to blamed for breaking up a dynasty.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ho hum...:yawning:

lemme guess. Eagle, Colorado will be the next card you pull...?

#boooooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnngggggg

That was a strange situation. I'm not sure what to think about that case anymore. Was sure he was guilty at first, now, I'm not so sure. If it went to trial it would have been interesting to see what the true facts were instead of hearing all the rumors.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kobe wanted Shaq to stay he would have made a public announcement asking him to stay. He wasn't interested in playing with Shaq so the Lakers got rid of Shaq. If Kobe asked for Shaq to stay they would have obliged. Buss would have signed both to a max deal just so he wouldn't have to blamed for breaking up a dynasty.

As I said, the Kobe/Shaq feud was real, Kobe felt it was time for him to take the leadership role and if Shaq had to be traded for that to happen, then so be it. Kobe wasn't going to step in and try to stop it.

Having said that, if Shaq came out and said that he was going to take a different approach to the off-season and start showing up to training camp in shape, Kobe likely would have asked Dr. Buss to re-sign him.

However, if Shaq had done that, it wouldn't have been necessary for Kobe to say anything because Dr. Buss would have given Shaq the money he was looking for.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yep, why let the facts stand in the way...?:pound:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, the Kobe/Shaq feud was real, Kobe felt it was time for him to take the leadership role and if Shaq had to be traded for that to happen, then so be it. Kobe wasn't going to step in and try to stop it.

Having said that, if Shaq came out and said that he was going to take a different approach to the off-season and start showing up to training camp in shape, Kobe likely would have asked Dr. Buss to re-sign him.

However, if Shaq had done that, it wouldn't have been necessary for Kobe to say anything because Dr. Buss would have given Shaq the money he was looking for.

To add a little to this...

There is no doubt that both Shaq and Kobe could have handled the whole thing a lot better than they ultimately did. Had either one or both given in just a little, both probably retire as Lakers instead of just Kobe.

Also, when Dr. Buss told Kobe that he intended to trade Shaq and that he (Kobe) would likely be blamed no matter what Dr. Buss said, Kobe didn't care. He was willing to take the criticism.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the only way Kobe would have wanted Shaq back if Shaq said he would take a back seat to Kobe, even then I doubt he wants to play with Shaq because ultimately coaches would defer to the monster in the middle. It's interesting that Phil had to leave too if this wasn't all about Kobe.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were fed a Lakers Organization PR story to keep you content as a fan so the Lakers didn't look like they broke up a dynasty and fans wouldn't hate on Kobe.

OR...

you're making this up as you go along...?

gave you my personal opinion of Kobe TWICE now...

at least try a little harder...:dhd: