• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if it's true or not and don't really care. But it's been widely reported that Lebron wanted him.

Also, the Cavs and Lakers situations were different.

Griffin was the Cavs GM and Gilbert let him go while Lebron was on the team and according to reports, wanted him kept on as GM.

When Lebron came to the Lakers, they already had a GM and Lebron was mainly dealing with Magic anyway.
Gilbert didn't exactly let him go. His contract ran out. They did have negotiations and we don't know what was offered. As I said, I don't think he was a keep at all costs GM. We don't know what was offered or what Griff asked for

I don't believe for one second keeping him would have meant Lebron would stay. He was gone.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert didn't exactly let him go. His contract ran out. They did have negotiations and we don't know what was offered. As I said, I don't think he was a keep at all costs GM. We don't know what was offered or what Griff asked for

I don't believe for one second keeping him would have meant Lebron would stay. He was gone.

Agree.
LeBron likes to have a list of reasons to use when he leaves vs just saying he’s choosing to leave because he can.

In Miami , amongst other things, most notably the Arison/Mike Miller nonsense.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I knew Gilbert didn't re-sign him which is essentially letting him go. He wasn't fired, he just wasn't re-signed.

Yeah, I agree that Lebron was likely gone. But assuming the reports are true, Gilbert may have ended any shot, however small, at Lebron staying by letting Griffin go.

Not necessarily that Lebron wanted Griffin himself that badly, but more because it looks like as soon as Lebron signed more than a 1+1, Gilbert stopped doing what Lebron wanted.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might as well......That offense overall scares me. Maybe even Kamara.

I saw something in Kamara his rookie preseason and drafted him late in both my leagues that year.

Im seeing THAT in Herro.
Maybe not to that degree, but I hope Im right.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.
LeBron likes to have a list of reasons to use when he leaves vs just saying he’s choosing to leave because he can.

In Miami , amongst other things, most notably the Arison/Mike Miller nonsense.
Right. Has been pretty much this for Lebron.......

Team he is on is a title contender but maxed out. Contract runs out and new team who has prepared to bring him back (and maybe a buddy or 2) with cap space gets him. Rinse and repeat.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I knew Gilbert didn't re-sign him which is essentially letting him go. He wasn't fired, he just wasn't re-signed.

Yeah, I agree that Lebron was likely gone. But assuming the reports are true, Gilbert may have ended any shot, however small, at Lebron staying by letting Griffin go.

Not necessarily that Lebron wanted Griffin himself that badly, but more because it looks like as soon as Lebron signed more than a 1+1, Gilbert stopped doing what Lebron wanted.
But I think we both agree Griff did nothing to warrant being a sign at all costs GM and we don't know what was offered nor what he wanted.

There were also reports Lebron left because they traded Kyrie. Hard to believe this as Lebron never even bothered to call Kyrie and try and straighten things out with him (as he was the reason Kyrie wanted to go). In addition, Cavs told him they'll hold onto Kyrie if Lebron would stay. He wouldn't. Also would not agree to stay if they went through with a deal to add PG. Keep Kyrie and add PG and he still wouldn't stay? Some of these reports are per Griff himself.

@TurnUpTheHeat said it best. He knows what he's gonna do and comes up with reasons to give himself.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw something in Kamara his rookie preseason and drafted him late in both my leagues that year.

Im seeing THAT in Herro.
Maybe not to that degree, but I hope Im right.
As I said, I do like the kid, but not sure it's the best analogy. mid or even late round picks seem to step up every year at the RB position.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy 1 month Anniversary of the Raptors winning the LOB

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,731.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got my errands done and the rest of the day is mine to be a couch potato.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I think we both agree Griff did nothing to warrant being a sign at all costs GM and we don't know what was offered nor what he wanted.

Definitely. As I said earlier, he had shown himself to be competent, but hadn't shown that he was anything special.

If he wanted more money/power/years than Gilbert wanted to give him, then Lebron wanting him would be the only reason to keep him.

And while thewre have been reports that Lebron wanted him, there aren't any direct quotes from Lebron, Gilbert or Griffin that I've ever seen.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. As I said earlier, he had shown himself to be competent, but hadn't shown that he was anything special.

If he wanted more money/power/years than Gilbert wanted to give him, then Lebron wanting him would be the only reason to keep him.

And while thewre have been reports that Lebron wanted him, there aren't any direct quotes from Lebron, Gilbert or Griffin that I've ever seen.
And don't get me wrong. I agree IF this is what it took to keep Lebron then you need to work it out with Griff. Of course, then Gilbert's detractors would rip him for letting Lebron run the team.

Closest I could find as far as a quote from Griff. It's someone else stating Lebron (and Kyrie) both still leave even if he was there, and Griff confirming. While I believe him I suppose it could be argued he doesn't want to throw Altman under the bus.

David Griffin Says LeBron and Kyrie Still Would've Left the Cavs Even if He'd Stayed