• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Offseason Thread

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it and it works for NFL, as well.......though FAs in NFL don't care as much about market.

Browns are proof. Had so many GMs afraid to do a complete teardown/rebuild. Continued to sign the Donte Whitners of the world so they could win 3-5 games as opposed to what needed to be done. Was it really worth losing out on Andrew Luck so they could win 3-4 games as opposed to 1-2?

I would hope no Browns fan would trade Baker and Garrett to add 3-5 wins to the 1-31 seasons.

Football's vastly different than basketball in terms of constructing your roster. The Lakers were one of the bottom dwellers for the last several years. Add in two players (Lebron and AD), and they're considered to be title favorites. You could've added Peyton Manning in his prime and Marshawn Lynch several years ago to the Browns, and they still probably don't win their division.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there is no guarantee but what seems most logical? Hell, your team has the advantage of south beach and cannot get beyond middling team now 6 years in after Lebron left.

And again, 3 years we had to deal with Bosh's blood clots. Why do you keep glossing that over?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.....and you can see why tanking is a better way to go. They could have had high picks as opposed to being in the teens (and Miami does draft pretty well) and had the cap room to just sign Butler and not give up a solid player and a pick to get him.

The only thing I said about tanking was that the Cavs had no choice because the cupboard was bare when Lebron left...

and that Miami had no reason because they still had D-Wade and Bosh.

So what does whether not tanking is a better way to go have to do with it?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, dude you have to tank so you're not a middling team. I mean, these lotto picks are sure-fire, brosiff.

The Suns or teams like the Cavs have no choice but to build a team through the draft...they literally have to hit homeruns in the draft, hope their players develop into stars and either win with that team or those stars recruit other stars in the offseason....the odds of that are slim to none.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it and it works for NFL, as well.......though FAs in NFL don't care as much about market.

Browns are proof. Had so many GMs afraid to do a complete teardown/rebuild. Continued to sign the Donte Whitners of the world so they could win 3-5 games as opposed to what needed to be done. Was it really worth losing out on Andrew Luck so they could win 3-4 games as opposed to 1-2?

I would hope no Browns fan would trade Baker and Garrett to add 3-5 wins to the 1-31 seasons.

Only difference is that it is a lot easier to build through the draft and turnaround quickly in the NFL than the NBA

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We didn't have the cap space, because for 2 years we were dealing with Bosh's blood clots. And then we had to wait another year to get him off of our salary cap in the first 3 years. And again, I'd rather field a competitive team then one that purposefully tanks. Riley hasn't once taken a tank approach in his time in Miami and it's resulted in one of the most respected franchises and 3 titles. And everyone keeps glossing this over, but why are teams like the Kings and Suns in such bad shape since they get top 10 pick every year? I mean, based on tanking (or in some cases just sucking), why are those teams so bad? I mean, Phoenix just literally traded Josh Jackson to Memphis, and he was the #4 pick two years ago.

The Suns have sucked for as long as I could remember, yet they get nowhere. So what faith do I have as a fan that going down that route is best? It is possible to simply remain an attractive destination for players to want to go to.
Cannot speak for everyone, but this does it for me.....

th

will it always work? Of course not, but seems like the best way to go with no hope to lure an elite FA (who is not from the area).

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Suns or teams like the Cavs have no choice but to build a team through the draft...they literally have to hit homeruns in the draft, hope their players develop into stars and either win with that team or those stars recruit other stars in the offseason....the odds of that are slim to none.

And that's great. So why does Miami need to tank then? I keep hearing we need to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol just saw suns traded Josh Jackson.

More evidence having multiple top 5 picks guarantees nothing

Cmon now.

Semi competent management is a prequisite for any franchise. Even a big market. Look at the Knicks.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot speak for everyone, but this does it for me.....

th

will it always work? Of course not, but seems like the best way to go with no hope to lure an elite FA (who is not from the area).

So when's the next Lebron coming out of Cleveland? Because let's be real, if Lebron wasn't from Cleveland, I seriously doubt that he goes back. It was a legacy decision on why he decided to go back to enhance his brand.

And I have 3 separate images that I can use to backup my opinion.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football's vastly different than basketball in terms of constructing your roster. The Lakers were one of the bottom dwellers for the last several years. Add in two players (Lebron and AD), and they're considered to be title favorites. You could've added Peyton Manning in his prime and Marshawn Lynch several years ago to the Browns, and they still probably don't win their division.
Manning? don't be silly. Sure they would.....especially if they did it without signing middling players and had cap room.

You think it's coincidence the Colts were 12-4 with Manning, then 1-15 when he left? Then 11-5 with Luck?

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Woj is about to announce in the next 5

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only difference is that it is a lot easier to build through the draft and turnaround quickly in the NFL than the NBA
No doubt....best way to turn around quickly, though, is often to suck the right year to get a stud QB high in the draft.