• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is any truth to the rumors, Kawhi is headed to the Lakers where he wants to play dating back to his days in San Antonio. He is declining the player option on his Raptors contract.

I seriously doubt Kawhi is coming to the Lakers. I won't rule it out because the it's Kawhi who never says anything about anything, but I'd only put it at about a 10% chance, which is probably being generous.

The reason to decline the player option would be because he has to if he wants to sign with anyone and also if he wants to sign a supermax with the Raptors.

The other issue is the timing of when the trade needs to be official. In order to have a full max available, they would have to wait until July 30th to make it official.

If they wait until July 30th, that would mean that the Pels couldn't sign the #4 pick until the 30th either. They aren't going to want to do that because they'll want him playing in the summer league.

What I don't know is what happens if the Pels trade the #4 pick. Does that change things to where either the Lakers don't have to wait until the 30th or if the other team would be willing to wait?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two years prior to this past season, Davis played 75 of 82 games both times. He could have played more this season but he didn't want to risk getting hurt and ruining his chance of a trade and the Pelicans didn't want to play him either. His injury was nothing more than a mild sprain. He's fine.

If you're gonna say he's injury prone, you might as well say the same thing about Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball. The last two years Ingram played 59 of 82 and 52 of 82 games while Lonzo Ball played 52 of 82 games and 47 of 82 games. So they gave up two injury prone guys that might not ever make an all star team for an "injury prone" guy that's a legit Top 5 NBA talent who is just entering his prime at 26 years old.

It's like some folks just refuse to be happy. lol

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because obviously the Lakers can't possibly be making any more moves.

Of course they can

Doesn't mean they will get who they want or what they need. The past 5-6 years should show you that just because you have money to throw around doesn't mean FA's are going to just sign with the Lakers.

There are plenty of players that don't want to play with LeBron ( just like some didn't want to play with Kobe ).

And there is no guarantee another star player would want to sign with the Lakers to play 3rd fiddle behind Bron and AD.

Depends how the Lakers choose to use their cap space as to whether the Lakers will have enough to make a serious run. Bron and AD can't do it all by themselves.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't mean they will get who they want or what they need. The past 5-6 years should show you that just because you have money to throw around doesn't mean FA's are going to just sign with the Lakers.

Other than last yeare, the past 5-6 years, they didn't have the pieces to even get to the playoffs, let alone, compete for a title.

Now, they have Lebron and AD, that should be enough to attract better FA's.

There are plenty of players that don't want to play with LeBron ( just like some didn't want to play with Kobe ).

There are also plenty who do, plenty who want to play with AD and plenty who don't care who they play with if it gives them a shot at a title.

And there is no guarantee another star player would want to sign with the Lakers to play 3rd fiddle behind Bron and AD.

The Lakers aren't likely to have the cap space to sign a 3rd star this off-season anyway. They will, however, have enough cap space to add higher quality depth than they've had for the past 5-6 years. That might actually be better than a 3rd star because they wouldn't have the depth they'll have by going with 2 or 3 next tier guys like Beverley, Vucevic, etc.

Depends how the Lakers choose to use their cap space as to whether the Lakers will have enough to make a serious run. Bron and AD can't do it all by themselves.

So then, why not enjoy what they did right (got AD, kept Kuzma and didn't take on the Solomon Hill contract) instead of complaining about what MIGHT go wrong?

And before you accuse me of it again...I'm not telling anyone how to feel, what to do or anything like that...just genuinely curious.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Mr. Pessimist, Bill Plaschke seems upbeat and happy about this trade. lol

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than last yeare, the past 5-6 years, they didn't have the pieces to even get to the playoffs, let alone, compete for a title.

Now, they have Lebron and AD, that should be enough to attract better FA's.

There are also plenty who do, plenty who want to play with AD and plenty who don't care who they play with if it gives them a shot at a title.

The Lakers aren't likely to have the cap space to sign a 3rd star this off-season anyway. They will, however, have enough cap space to add higher quality depth than they've had for the past 5-6 years. That might actually be better than a 3rd star because they wouldn't have the depth they'll have by going with 2 or 3 next tier guys like Beverley, Vucevic, etc.

So then, why not enjoy what they did right (got AD, kept Kuzma and didn't take on the Solomon Hill contract) instead of complaining about what MIGHT go wrong?

And before you accuse me of it again...I'm not telling anyone how to feel, what to do or anything like that...just genuinely curious.

TJ

As always, I respect your opinion. And we are all entitled to them.

My problem is, I actually liked the direction the team was going by building from within ( ala GS ).

But, they trashed that whole plan to make a run at an aging LeBron.

The let Randle walk to free up cap space. How the hell do you let a player of his caliber go and get nothing for him? Stupid.

Then, to try and "help" LeBron last season, they traded away Svi and Zubac for peanuts and got almost nothing out of those trades.

Now, they trade the bulk of their young core and 3 additional "young players" in the form of 1st round picks to get AD ( who said he wanted to sign with LA anyways a year from now when they didn't have to give up anything ).

So, unless the Lakers win it all this season, as far as I'm concerned, the trade was a waste because they could've had AD next season without giving up anything and had a young core to build around AD once LeBron's inevitable decline happens ( which will be sooner rather than later because father time will always remain undefeated ).

NO was not in a position of power in moving AD, and the Lakers paid as if they were.

Btw, in addition to the 3 players and 3 1st round picks, the Lakers gave NO the option to swap 1st round picks 2 additional years. The traded as if they were desperate, not in a position of power which they should've been.

I know I'm in the minority here but that's my issue with what the Lakers have done with this team.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My problem is, I actually liked the direction the team was going by building from within ( ala GS ).

So did I. But things changed and they didn't ask my opinion before they changed them.

But, they trashed that whole plan to make a run at an aging LeBron.

Which put them in win now mode. That's fine. As I said, I liked what they were doing, but many (probably most) didn't see it the way we did and wanted something done a lot sooner. Lebron, while older, is still, at worst, a top 5 player and given the rest he just got, may still be the best in the game.

I mean, dude was pretty unmotivated and recovering from his injury after the deadline and still averaged 27/8/8.

The let Randle walk to free up cap space. How the hell do you let a player of his caliber go and get nothing for him? Stupid.

They got cap space to get players to chase more top FA's. Randle is good and I'm as bai a Julius Randle fanboy as there is, but when you have a hance to get a Lebron or other top tier FA...you do it. Even if it means letting a guy like Randle walk for nothing but cap space.

Then, to try and "help" LeBron last season, they traded away Svi and Zubac for peanuts and got almost nothing out of those trades.

lol

Folks need to stop with the "they traded Svi and Zubac" stuff. Zubac is as good as he'll ever be right now. He's a solid player who 10 years ago may have been an all star. Now? He's a solid role player. Nothing more and certainly not a difference maker. He was traded in an attempt to add shooting, which they absolutely needed and Zubac didn't provide.

Svi might be a solid perimeter guy some day, but he's not there yet.

Now, they trade the bulk of their young core and 3 additional "young players" in the form of 1st round picks to get AD ( who said he wanted to sign with LA anyways a year from now when they didn't have to give up anything ).

Paul George said he wanted to come to the Lakers too. Where is he? Kawhi said he wanted to be a Laker...now, according to pretty much everyone, he will either stay in Toronto or join the Clippers. The Lakers HAD to pull the trigger on this deal.

So, unless the Lakers win it all this season, as far as I'm concerned, the trade was a waste because they could've had AD next season without giving up anything and had a young core to build around AD once LeBron's inevitable decline happens ( which will be sooner rather than later because father time will always remain undefeated ).

Again, where are Paul George and Kawhi?

NO was not in a position of power in moving AD, and the Lakers paid as if they were.

The Lakers weren't in a position of strength either. Because they HAD to get this deal done and couldn't afford to wait and hope that AD came to LA after next season.

It's not a waste because, as I pointed out earlier, AD is 26 years old. He hasn't even hit his prime yet and he's already a top 5 player in the game. That sets the Lakers up to win for 6-8 more years.

Btw, in addition to the 3 players and 3 1st round picks, the Lakers gave NO the option to swap 1st round picks 2 additional years. The traded as if they were desperate, not in a position of power which they should've been.

A. The Lakers were desperate. They haven't just missed the playoffs for what? 6 years? They haven't even won a playoff game (let alone a series) since The Dwightmare.

B. Actually, it's an unprotected pick in 2023 or 2024 and the option to defer the pick in 2025. There is no "swap". Additionally, we're talking about picks 4-6 years from now. What middle school player are they supposed to be high on right now? Especially since those picks will likely be in late 20's?

I know I'm in the minority here but that's my issue with what the Lakers have done with this team.

I appreciate that and I certainly respect your opinion. But even Bill Plaschke said the Lakers did not overpay and he criticizes them about everything. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some names being thrown around that the Lakers could go after (a couple that some of you (and me) might like)...

Derrick Rose
JJ Reddick
Julius Randle
Brooke Lopez
A Morris Twin
D'Angelo Russell
Patrick Beverley
Rudy Gay

Note: names being mentioned that they could, not necessarily will, go after.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B. Actually, it's an unprotected pick in 2023 or 2024 and the option to defer the pick in 2025. There is no "swap". Additionally, we're talking about picks 4-6 years from now. What middle school player are they supposed to be high on right now? Especially since those picks will likely be in late 20's?
My 2 cents - I don't see Lebron aging like fine wine. 3 or 4 years from now, is Bron even still playing 20 minutes a game? If more than that, is it a detriment to the team, starting and playing for the namesake? Is the other star we are trying to recruit this summer good enough to be the #2 to AD at that point? Is it just to keep us in the playoffs - or if we are picking late 20s - we'd need to be a final 4 type team. Unless that player is Leonard, I don't see deep runs to the playoffs in that 3-4 years ahead.
On top of that, what age is Lebron's son and/or D.Wade's? Isn't that about the timing for them? Probably doesn't matter as those two might be top picks. But whose to say it couldn't happen? Or that the pick won't be top 10 as the Lakers miss the playoffs (injuries or otherwise). At this point it doesn't matter what the pick is. What matters is how the next 2 years go. That I agree with. It is championship or bust.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents - I don't see Lebron aging like fine wine. 3 or 4 years from now, is Bron even still playing 20 minutes a game? If more than that, is it a detriment to the team, starting and playing for the namesake? Is the other star we are trying to recruit this summer good enough to be the #2 to AD at that point? Is it just to keep us in the playoffs - or if we are picking late 20s - we'd need to be a final 4 type team. Unless that player is Leonard, I don't see deep runs to the playoffs in that 3-4 years ahead.
On top of that, what age is Lebron's son and/or D.Wade's? Isn't that about the timing for them? Probably doesn't matter as those two might be top picks. But whose to say it couldn't happen? Or that the pick won't be top. 10 as the Lakers miss the playoffs (injuries or otherwise). At this point it doesn't matter what the pick is. What matters is how the next 2 years go. That I agree with. It is championship or bust.

First, I don't think I've seen you post here before, so welcome.

I think the reason they were willing to give up what they did was because AD is only 26 and hasn't even hit his prime yet.

So, with Lebron at his current level and making the right moves, they can not only win now, but be in position to rebuild quickly around AD (who will be in the middle of his prime years).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just occurred to me that, at least as far as building the team, this is as close to how the Lakers operated under Dr. Buss (and even before) as we have seen since he passed.

The Lakers have always built through a combination of trades, free agency and the draft.

And it's always been with the best big in the game and one of, if not the best, perimeter players in the game.

Wilt and The Logo: Traded for Wilt, drafted The Logo
Kareem and Magic: Traded for Kareem, drafted Magic with a pick they got from the New Orleans Jazz.
Shaq and Kobe: Shaq came as a free agent and they technically traded for Kobe.
AD and Lebron: Traded for AD, got Lebron as a free agent.

Spooooky. lol

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AD had some injuries earlier in his career. The 2 seasons prior to this one he played in 75 games each. He would have played in more last year, but the Pels were trying to not to play him after all of the crap that happened at the deadline. The league literally had to force them to play him in the games that he did play after the all star break.

Additionally, part of the point of having 2+ star players is so that you still have one on the floor when the other is resting or hurt.

On your last sentence, are you really suggesting that this team would somehow be a powerhouse if they had kept the guys you mentioned?

Nope, you must have missed the subtle qualifier. I stated clearly in those last sentences that we were not much of a powerhouse with the players we shipped-out recently. You have to admit, we have had a boatload of players in here since Kobe's retirement and by definition and default, the reason they are no longer here is the Lakers thought, at some level, the players were expendable. That also means the Lakers were not very adept at finding talent that was worth keeping with all of that player movement.

Here's a list off the top of my head:
Brook Lopez
Lonzo Ball
De'Angelo Russell
Julius Randle
Larry Nance Jr.
Brandon Ingram
Josh Hart
Svi Mykhailiuk
Ivan Zubac
Michael Beasley
Timofev Mosgov
Luol Deng
Nick Young
Jordon Clarkson
Ron Artest
Trevor Ariza
Jordon Hill

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pundits have been suggesting that we would really add some quality depth in signing the following players:
D. Russell
N. Noel
D. Favors
J. McGee
R. Rondo
B. Lopez
K. Walker
A. Caruso

I think we should sign all of them. We will still have two open roster spots with the players we presently have under contract.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Randle, Mirotic, and Trevor Ariza to the above list. Then we have to make a choice.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, you must have missed the subtle qualifier. I stated clearly in those last sentences that we were not much of a powerhouse with the players we shipped-out recently. You have to admit, we have had a boatload of players in here since Kobe's retirement and by definition and default, the reason they are no longer here is the Lakers thought, at some level, the players were expendable. That also means the Lakers were not very adept at finding talent that was worth keeping with all of that player movement.

Here's a list off the top of my head:
Brook Lopez
Lonzo Ball
De'Angelo Russell
Julius Randle
Larry Nance Jr.
Brandon Ingram
Josh Hart
Svi Mykhailiuk
Ivan Zubac
Michael Beasley
Timofev Mosgov
Luol Deng
Nick Young
Jordon Clarkson
Ron Artest
Trevor Ariza
Jordon Hill

Of course the Lakers have gone through a lot of players. They've been trying to rebuild. That's how it works. Several of the guys on your list were 1 year contract guys who were there to preserve cap space and several of them are young guys who were traded to get the Lakers where they are today...

a few decent signings from being contenders again.

and lol @Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza being on that list. Didn't have room for Nick Van Exel and Elden Campbell?:D

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pundits have been suggesting that we would really add some quality depth in signing the following players:
D. Russell
N. Noel
D. Favors
J. McGee
R. Rondo
B. Lopez
K. Walker
A. Caruso

I think we should sign all of them. We will still have two open roster spots with the players we presently have under contract.

D-Lo ain't coming back. I forget the exact words, but he basically said he didn't want the Lakers as part of his legacy.

I'd have no problem with Javale coming back. But he played well enough that he may have put himself out of the Lakers price range.

Love the idea of Kemba with Rondo coming off the bench.

I'd love for the Lakers to get Patrick Beverley, but I don't see the Clips giving him up. Especially to the Lakers. I think Ballmer would give him a supermax before he let the Lakers get him. lol

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conley traded to Utah for a package including Korver, Crowder another player and draft picks.....

Korver probably getting bought out.....if so, the Lakers need to snap him up.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if the Mavs would go for it but Wagner, Kuzma & Bonga for a trade exemption. It frees up 5+M

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers worked to hard to keep Kuzma out of the AD trade. I don't see them including him.
Well they seem to be more concerned with signing another max contract and they need two things: AD waiving the 4M roster bonus and clearing another approximate 4M in salary. Trading Wagner, Kuzma & Bonga clears that 4+M and getting its equivalent in a trade exception adds no salary in return