• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lake Show Life published an article this morning stating that the author believes the Lakers got snookered in the AD deal giving up way too much. Six direct players and than three more years of swapping picks and not sealing the deal until July 30th adds to the notion put forth by the author that the Lakers' Pelinka got owned. I have a tendency to agree.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to now trade Kuzma. That would make them look completely inept.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they seem to be more concerned with signing another max contract and they need two things: AD waiving the 4M roster bonus and clearing another approximate 4M in salary. Trading Wagner, Kuzma & Bonga clears that 4+M and getting its equivalent in a trade exception adds no salary in return

I forget how it's done, but they can that space without moving Kuzma.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers will begin in earnest after the draft to fill out the majority of their roster and it'll probably include guys like Caruso, McGee, Lopez, Favors, and Walker.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lake Show Life published an article this morning stating that the author believes the Lakers got snookered in the AD deal giving up way too much. Six direct players and than three more years of swapping picks and not sealing the deal until July 30th adds to the notion put forth by the author that the Lakers' Pelinka got owned. I have a tendency to agree.

lol @the Lakers overpaying for a 26 year old who is a top 5 player in the game. The only people saying that are those looking for click bait by trying to be different.

Also, there aren't actual pick swaps, the Pels have the option of deferring one of the pick (2025 I believe).

It's also not "6 direct players). It's 3 players and 3 future picks, 2 of whom are in middle school right now.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lakers will begin in earnest after the draft to fill out the majority of their roster and it'll probably include guys like Caruso, McGee, Lopez, Favors, and Walker.

That wouldn't be a bad way to do it. Not sure I'd want Lopez. But he can shoot, so wouldn't be too bad.

Apparently, there's still an outside shot at Kyrie. I heard a rumor that they the Nets may be reconsidering making him an offer unless they can get assurances from KD that he's coming.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its four direct players: Ball, Ingram, Hart, and the #4 pick tomorrow night. That pick tomorrow night isn't a future pick. The two other number ones are future picks and the swapping is done three times into the future.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie is beginning to ask for too much money. I bet he thinks he can get big bucks just because LeBron wanats him to come and play in LA. The Nets have sort of burned the Russell bridge by telling the media they are not keeping both Kyrie and Russell. This could get stupid in a hurry.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the deal in black and white if that helps:

Anthony Davis trade

Lakers receive: Anthony Davis

Pelicans receive: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, three first-round picks

• 2019 No. 4 pick
  • 2021 first-round pick protected for Nos. 9-30 (unprotected in 2022)
  • 2023 first-round swap rights unprotected
  • 2024 first-round pick unprotected (option to defer to 2025)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its four direct players: Ball, Ingram, Hart, and the #4 pick tomorrow night. That pick tomorrow night isn't a future pick. The two other number ones are future picks and the swapping is done three times into the future.

That pick tomorrow night isn't a current player. We don't even know who it's going to be.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie is beginning to ask for too much money. I bet he thinks he can get big bucks just because LeBron wanats him to come and play in LA. The Nets have sort of burned the Russell bridge by telling the media they are not keeping both Kyrie and Russell. This could get stupid in a hurry.

Kyrie is a max level talent and he's going to get max level money from someone.

I doubt it happens, but if he comes to the Lakers, I'm not too worried about what he will do while Lebron is here.

He's shown that he can play alongside Lebron (or maybe that Lebron can keep him somewhat sane lol) and even won a title with him.

I'm more worried about what would happen after Lebron leaves. While AD is a fantastic talent and player, I don't think he's really shown himself to be much of a leader which could allow Kyrie to go off his meds.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the deal in black and white if that helps:

Anthony Davis trade

Lakers receive: Anthony Davis

Pelicans receive: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, three first-round picks

• 2019 No. 4 pick
  • 2021 first-round pick protected for Nos. 9-30 (unprotected in 2022)
  • 2023 first-round swap rights unprotected
  • 2024 first-round pick unprotected (option to defer to 2025)

That's 4 picks.

If things go according to plan, all of those picks (minus this year) will be late 20's at best. While there can be value in those picks (the Laker have proven that), it won't be near the value of AD.

The mistake the Lakers made in this trade is not with picks or players. It's with the timing of when the trade becomes official.

I don't know if the Pels insisted on the July 6th date or if Pelinka was so desperate to get the deal done that he didn't even broach the subject. But the Lakers would have more cap space available by having the trade become official July 30th.

If I had to guess, I'd say a little of both. I think Pelinka was under tremendous pressure to get something done. I mean, how many times have we read (and even said ourselves) that they HAVE to get something done.

I would guess that Pelinka probably asked about the later date, Griffin said "I want it done by July 6th" and Pelinka chose not to fight him on it for fear that Griffin would move on.

Had they been able to wait until July 30th, they wouldn't be scrambling to create additional cap space like they are now.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo Ball - the injuries and the dad aren't worth it
Brandon Ingram- could become a really good player but his ceiling isn't top 10 player
Josh Hart- good player to have but nothing that should make you not move him for AD
three first-round picks- if you're in the playoffs and go far they don't really matter. These days with players coming in so young you're not getting drafts with multiple players ready to play and make an impact. The days of getting a Patrick Ewing or Magic Johnson or Larry Bird who can lead your team from day one are over. The most talented players come in young and inexperienced which is not what the Lakers need for the next few seasons.

Did the Lakers give too much? If they get far next season then no. Should Rob P have waited to make sure he had more cap space? Maybe but you don't know what happens if you don't get the deal done when the other team is ready.
The narrative that nobody wants to play with Lebron is now dead.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take by Howard Beck on Dan Patrick this morning and pretty spot on, imo.

He said that the Lakers won the trade, but lost the negotiation.

Basically, they got the best player in AD, so they won the trade. However, they gave up more than they probably had to given the situation that the Pels were in.

The only thing that I would add is that there was also tremendous pressure on the Lakers to get this trade done.

Given the history between the 2 teams re: AD, the Lakers probably wanted to get this done without pissing the Pels off again, so they weren't as demanding as they otherwise might have been.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take by Howard Beck on Dan Patrick this morning and pretty spot on, imo.

He said that the Lakers won the trade, but lost the negotiation.

Basically, they got the best player in AD, so they won the trade. However, they gave up more than they probably had to given the situation that the Pels were in.

The only thing that I would add is that there was also tremendous pressure on the Lakers to get this trade done.

Given the history between the 2 teams re: AD, the Lakers probably wanted to get this done without pissing the Pels off again, so they weren't as demanding as they otherwise might have been.

In the end you got a top 5 player. Lakers got Gasol and gave up Marc Gasol who turned into a really good player but who would say the Lakers lost that trade? Totally worth it. The Kobe trade? Kareem? You get a top player and give up picks and role players you win the trade.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end you got a top 5 player. Lakers got Gasol and gave up Marc Gasol who turned into a really good player but who would say the Lakers lost that trade? Totally worth it. The Kobe trade? Kareem? You get a top player and give up picks and role players you win the trade.

Agree. When you have a chance to get a player like that, you do what you have to do to get it done asap and worry about the rest later.

My guess is that if this were a "normal negotiation" rather than one where the 2 teams have some animosity, but are essentially forced to deal with each other...the Lakers probably end up doing a little better on the negotiation part and at the least, get the trade made official on the 30th rather than the 6th.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turns out Pelinka and the Lakers FO screwed-up the negotiations because now the Lakers are trying to re-work the deal to get more cap space. The Lake Show Life published a similar article as was released by Yahoo Sports this morning. The longer this thing goes forward the worse it gets. The Lake Show Life article dumps this in Pelinka's lap as being inexperienced but the result is that he is now trying to re-work the deal to get more cap space for some mystical third star player. Ridiculous.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report...ace-in-the-anthony-davis-trade-164633838.html

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case anyone is wondering

Traditionally we've done a good job finding useful NBA players late in the draft but I'm skeptical on this kid. He's pretty doughy for his size, especially for a guy that is more of a guard than a forward. He also needs the ball a lot and is pretty sloppy with it.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the Lakers draft was a real laugher. The Lakers select DeAndre Hunter for the Hawks and then filled-out the paperwork. Then they bought into the second round for a future second rounder with the Magic selecting a player they never brought in for a work-out who some think was a reach because his teammates at Iowa State appear to be better. The real apparent reason they selected this Talen Horton-Tucker? Eh-hem, [cough], [cough] he is client of Klutch sports and one Rich Paul! :lol: Ya' can't make this insanity up. There is a reason the Lakers have the continuing league-wide rep of being a constant dumpster fire and Pelinka is universally regarded as in-over-his-head. To provide a modicum of sanity, I suppose, the Lakers signed UDFA Zach Norvell and are evaluating Ish Smith, whatever and whoever that is.

Last edited: