• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Los Angeles Lakers Off-Season Thread

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question would be...can it beat the Knicks offer. The player(s) that the Lakers are offering are better, but the #3 pick is better than the #4, especially in this draft.

The Celtics may be out of the running, especially if Kyrie leaves as he is expected to do. Plus, the rumor is that Griffin wants to get a deal done before the draft so he can hone in on players he wants to work out. That would also leave the Celtics out because they can't do anything until Kyrie becomes an FA.

You also have to consider the possibility of some team doing what the Thunder did with PG-13 or the Raptors with Kawhi and trying to beat the Lakers offer because they think he can get them a deep playoff run.

Your suggestion in post #215 is good. I don't know how much value Wagner and Bonga have though.

The consensus this past season was that the primary reason the Pelicans didn't deal Davis before the deadline was precisely to see what Ainge would be willing to give up for him. It would make no sense for them to move off of that now that they're so close to that happening.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the last deal sans Hart. Moving Ball for picks and then Ingram is a decent offer. Ingram has been speculated to become a megastar. That should be enough.

I like it. I think the knicks may not get durant now. He is damaged goods. I think he stays at GS now.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Taco, but if the Lakers are going to take a flyer on a big, I'd rather get Bol Bol.
I agree bol bol is very intriguing, but if we get davis, no need. Bol can be like davis if healthy and adds wieght.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The consensus this past season was that the primary reason the Pelicans didn't deal Davis before the deadline was precisely to see what Ainge would be willing to give up for him. It would make no sense for them to move off of that now that they're so close to that happening.

Actually, it does make sense.

The Celtics making a better offer was contingent on Kyrie staying. It appears that Kyrie is set on leaving. Plus, AD has apparently narrowed his list to 2 teams and the Celtics aren't one of them.

Plus, the Pels also apparently want to make their own picks in the draft (Griffin is said to want 2 first rounders), for them to do that, they would have to make the trade before the draft which the Celtics can't do.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that going to be enough when Kuzma, Ball, Ingram and draft picks were not enough 4 months ago?

4 months ago, David Griffin wasn't the GM. He has said that he would have taken the Lakers offer had he been GM at the time.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely TJF12. And the Lakers have stated they are not going to gut the roster this time to obtain AD. That may change though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant's career took a turn for the worse with the partial Achilles tear. We have had this convo before when Kobe went down. Durant may be able to come back but you just are not the same and with that goes the big money. Just ask boogie.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Celtics making a better offer was contingent on Kyrie staying. It appears that Kyrie is set on leaving. Plus, AD has apparently narrowed his list to 2 teams and the Celtics aren't one of them.

Plus, the Pels also apparently want to make their own picks in the draft (Griffin is said to want 2 first rounders), for them to do that, they would have to make the trade before the draft which the Celtics can't do.

I'm not sure it was contingent though. Ainge has liked Davis for a long long time. Pretty much the entire reason he's passed on deals in the past for guys like Butler and Kawhi was because he's been saving his chips for Davis (according to informed speculation). Even with Kyrie out the door, I still think they are going to make a play for him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure it was contingent though. Ainge has liked Davis for a long long time. Pretty much the entire reason he's passed on deals in the past for guys like Butler and Kawhi was because he's been saving his chips for Davis (according to informed speculation). Even with Kyrie out the door, I still think they are going to make a play for him.

But what will their offer be? Will he risk giving up assets for what is looking more and more like a 1 year rental?

This was tweeted by Chris Mannix this morning. It's a quote from Rich Paul in an article by SL Price (whoever that is):

"[The Celtics] can trade for him, but it'll be for one year. In the event that he walks away and you gave away assets, don't blame Rich Paul".

The Celtics can't beat the Lakers or Knicks offers without including Tatum. Do they give up Tatum after being told AD won't stay?

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All of that is pure speculation.

And they absolutely can hand-shake a deal before the draft. It happens all the time. It won't go through until July, but it certainly can be agreed on in principal on draft day. It happens all the time.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that is pure speculation.

And they absolutely can hand-shake a deal before the draft. It happens all the time. It won't go through until July, but it certainly can be agreed on in principal on draft day. It happens all the time.

Read post #229. That could change things.

Yes, I'm aware that those deals happen all of the time. However, based on what Griffin has said he wants (that's not speculation since it came from him) the chances of a handshake deal with the Celtics would seem unlikely since it would mean waiting until after the draft and he is said to want to make his own picks in the draft.

It's certainly possible that it could happen though. It is the "lying season" after all. lol

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what will their offer be? Will he risk giving up assets for what is looking more and more like a 1 year rental?

This was tweeted by Chris Mannix this morning. It's a quote from Rich Paul in an article by SL Price (whoever that is):

"[The Celtics] can trade for him, but it'll be for one year. In the event that he walks away and you gave away assets, don't blame Rich Paul".

The Celtics can't beat the Lakers or Knicks offers without including Tatum. Do they give up Tatum after being told AD won't stay?

The only way the Celtics would need to include Tatum to beat the Lakers offer would be if the Lakers are offering #4, Ball, Kuzma and Ingram. I keep reading here that the Lakers aren't going to offer that again.

The offers that I saw on the previous page, (Ingram, #4 and throw-ins) would be very easy for the Celtics to beat without including Tatum.

Can't see the Knicks making an offer on Davis this year.

My hunch is that either the Lakers or Celtics are going to gut their rosters to get Davis, or he's getting traded to a sleeper team that nobody sees coming.

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read post #229. That could change things.

Yes, I'm aware that those deals happen all of the time. However, based on what Griffin has said he wants (that's not speculation since it came from him) the chances of a handshake deal with the Celtics would seem unlikely since it would mean waiting until after the draft and he is said to want to make his own picks in the draft.

It's certainly possible that it could happen though. It is the "lying season" after all. lol

The way the deal would work is that the Celtics and Pelicans agree to terms on the deal and the Celtics make the picks on behalf of the Pelicans. Come July, the players are swapped.

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rockets don't have the draft capital to get him, but that would be an interesting landing spot.

Denver is intriguing as well.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the Celtics would need to include Tatum to beat the Lakers offer would be if the Lakers are offering #4, Ball, Kuzma and Ingram. I keep reading here that the Lakers aren't going to offer that again.

The Lakers are likely posturing. Of course they are going to try to give up as little as possible. That's just smart business. But they pretty much HAVE to do something this off-season, so if it means essentially gutting the roster, they'll likely do that.

Imo, the #4, Ingram and Ball or Kuzma, maybe a couple of fillers and maybe a couple of future firsts, should be enough to get the deal done.

But, I'm not involved in the negotiations sooo….lol

The offers that I saw on the previous page, (Ingram, #4 and throw-ins) would be very easy for the Celtics to beat without including Tatum.

I have to disagree here. Griffin apparently wants a player or 2 with all star potential. Of the Celtics players, only Tatum fits that description. The Lakers have Ingram who was playing at an all star level when he went out with his injury. Some think Ball can be an all star as well. At worst, he looks to be a solid starting point guard for a long time.

The biggest issue for the Lakers players is health. Fortunately, they are young, so it may not be as big an issue as it could be.

Can't see the Knicks making an offer on Davis this year.

If they want him, they might have to. If he goes to the Lakers, they won't get him next year. Especially if Kyrie goes to the Nets as expected.

My hunch is that either the Lakers or Celtics are going to gut their rosters to get Davis, or he's getting traded to a sleeper team that nobody sees coming.

As a Lakers fan, the bold is what I'm most concerned about. There may be a team that is in "make a big trade or blow it up and start over" mode. So, like the Thunder and Raptors, they may decide to delay blowing it up for a year and bring him in to try to make a title run. Hasn't worked out for the Thunder, but the Raptors seem to be doing well. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way the deal would work is that the Celtics and Pelicans agree to terms on the deal and the Celtics make the picks on behalf of the Pelicans. Come July, the players are swapped.

I know how it works, that's basically how Kobe became a Laker. But it looks like Griffin wants to make the actual picks. Truthfully, I don't think he's that enamored with doing that, I think he's just trying to "light a fire" and get things moving so he can get on with players who are actually going to be there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rockets don't have the draft capital to get him, but that would be an interesting landing spot.

Denver is intriguing as well.

Interestingly, I read yesterday that the Celtics are interested in trading for Capela. If that happens, that probably eliminates the Celtics from the AD sweepstakes.

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree here. Griffin apparently wants a player or 2 with all star potential. Of the Celtics players, only Tatum fits that description. The Lakers have Ingram who was playing at an all star level when he went out with his injury. Some think Ball can be an all star as well. At worst, he looks to be a solid starting point guard for a long time.

Jaylen Brown most definitely fits that description as well.

Ty41Office

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly, I read yesterday that the Celtics are interested in trading for Capela. If that happens, that probably eliminates the Celtics from the AD sweepstakes.

Yeah, Baynes/Brown for Capela would make a lot of sense for both teams.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaylen Brown most definitely fits that description as well.

Yeah, but I think he's more borderline on that than Tatum or Ingram. Probably more likely than Lonzo though.

I only say probably on Lonzo because there's a lot to like about him (elite vision, passing, ballhandling and above average defense), but his shooting is terrible. If he can at least be an average shooter, he can be an all star. But can't really say that about him until he does it.