• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Coaching Carousel

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UCLA offer was only $8M/year :L

He was already making $9M/year on his contract through like 2023/2024.

That ought to sway him and the fact UCLA sucks right now :laugh3:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically the plan for UCLA:

Give him less money and maybe he will want to coach a shitty team

Rod Freakin' Dangerfield

Bringing the COCK to SportsHoopla!
Hoopla Cash
$ 14.95
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
X3QmR4Z.gif

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UCLA offer was only $8M/year :L

He was already making $9M/year on his contract through like 2023/2024.

That ought to sway him and the fact UCLA sucks right now :laugh3:
That's fucking ridiculous Nick Saban makes 8.3mm and I don't care how good your bball team is it doesn't rank in money like football.

Ohio State are idiots also they are paying Holtman 7.1mm.

College ADs are unbelievably stupid.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wildturkey

Sounds like it's going to be Wojo.

Yep. The guy behind this thread is either a promising young investigative journalist or one of the most dangerous stalkers that needs to be registered on some kind of list

@TJabroni

Thoughts on Wojo?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The guy behind this thread is either a promising young investigative journalist or one of the most dangerous stalkers that needs to be registered on some kind of list

@TJabroni

Thoughts on Wojo?

I mean it seems good to me on paper from what little bit i know. I am a much more casual b-ball fan than you are i believe so i'm sure you know much more than i do. Seems like he may be a good recruiter, is good with the front court guys, is a Coach K product, yet maybe isn't very good defensively?

What say you? You think he can hang in the ACC? How epic could some of the Duke games get in Cassell in a few years?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wojo leaving Marquette to take the VT job would be a little shocking IMO(and that's not me saying he won't). He'll have a top 15 team next season and VT will be going into a big rebuild next season losing Robinson, Hill, Walker and Blackshear.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In horse raising the statement "horses for courses" is used quite often.

How many coaches have left a school and have had a clusterfuck when trying to replicate their succes at new school?

But hey, at least they get a shitpot full of money for their portion of the clusterfuck. The school gets egg on its face and forks out a lot of money for their portion of the clusterfuck.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

@TJabroni

Thoughts on Wojo?

Could be worse. Seems like the knock is he's not a great X's & O's guy... but should be able to recruit well in the ACC. I was really not thrilled about Cronin, as I don't really want a guy that's known as 'Mick the Dick' after 5 years with a unique guy like Buzz.

Interesting being on some of the home boards, the fanbase has turned quickly. I think the whole coaching with one-foot out the door is really rubbing people the wrong way. Can't tell if it's just sour grapes or people truly don't want him back.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wojo leaving Marquette to take the VT job would be a little shocking IMO(and that's not me saying he won't). He'll have a top 15 team next season and VT will be going into a big rebuild next season losing Robinson, Hill, Walker and Blackshear.

Walker probably 99% gone, but tbd on Blackshear. He's not getting the NBA looks, and who knows if he'd follow Buzz or not as a grad transfer.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walker probably 99% gone, but tbd on Blackshear. He's not getting the NBA looks, and who knows if he'd follow Buzz or not as a grad transfer.

I don't think Blackshear will ever get an NBA look, but he's graduated, and could make some decent money overseas probably. That gives him an extra year of earning potential even if he does make like 150K overseas.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Blackshear will ever get an NBA look, but he's graduated, and could make some decent money overseas probably. That gives him an extra year of earning potential even if he does make like 150K overseas.

Yeah that's a highly likely option as well. After playing with the same guys for 3 years, he might not have much motivation to come back without them. Either way, program is looking at a couple year rebuild minimum. We stand to lose potentially every recruit + our top recruit from last season that hasn't played yet.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it seems good to me on paper from what little bit i know. I am a much more casual b-ball fan than you are i believe so i'm sure you know much more than i do. Seems like he may be a good recruiter, is good with the front court guys, is a Coach K product, yet maybe isn't very good defensively?

What say you? You think he can hang in the ACC? How epic could some of the Duke games get in Cassell in a few years?

Recruiting wise is ify. He hasn't really delivered strong classes at Marquette. But it might be easier for him to recruit at VT because Wojo has ties to the DC/MD/Nova area and convincing kids to stay in the area is a lot easier than it is than to have them for to Marquette. Other aspects of his time at Marquette, I've been a little underwhelmed with him. Been there 5 years, with 2 Tourney appearances but both 1st round losses. Offensively his teams have been pretty solid but nothing spectacular. Defense has been pretty poor though. And like @HitmanHart was saying, no seasons in the top 30. But it was his first crack at a HC, and I think he's done a decent job at building the program back up a bit after Buzz left it bare (most of their recruits followed him to VT). He was a hot commodity and a consensus "next good coach" when he was next to K and while some of that shine is off him now, I think he's still got a good future. It's not like his time there as been a failure. Instead of an A grade, its probably more like a B-.

He's not my first pick. If we're ruling out the improbable Gregg Marshall, I'd actually feel better if they looked into Thad Matta but Wojo is a solid choice. I feel much better about going with someone like him than going with a coach from a one bid league. Going from a school that small to a top conference can be a tough adjustment.

TJabroni

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the feeling Buzz does not want to risk being below expectations

Could have stayed at Marquette indefinitely. Expectations there got pretty high after the string of Sweet 16s, and it sounds like things were taking a turn for the worse.

Chose to take on one of the worst P5 jobs in basketball at the time. Zero expectations. Built the program up to one of it's best seasons ever. Our fanbase has now upped the bar a bit after 3 straight tourneys, competing in the ACC, and now a Sweet 16. Cupboard doesn't look fit to make another run next year, and recruiting has slowed. Of the open jobs, A&M is fairly low-profile, a program that's never been past the sweet 16, and has missed the tourney 6 of the last 10 years. More pressure than when he came here, but in a conference that has one blue-blood to compete with & saw South Carolina finish in 4th place.

Lots being made of $$$$ & the 'Texas is home' thing... I'm starting to think it's just a matter of opportunity & timing. Had A&M job opened up this time last year, I doubt Buzz walks away from the team he had.

SnoopHawg

CJK5H@SMU
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,039.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta love Razorback coaching searches. All the looneys come out of the woodworks and everyone has a source. Its non stop entertainment. :pound:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beat reporters now saying the aTm Buzz press conference will be Thursday

VT replacement still seems to be Wojo but there's a contingent of "sources" that claim Gregg Marshall is a serious candidate but I'm not sure I buy it. It seems more like one guy as a source who believe Whit would inquire about Marshall (who wouldn't?) and then a bunch of wannabes using that to claim they also have sources and he's totally interested because "reasons" that they conveniently can't say.

indy1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fucking ridiculous Nick Saban makes 8.3mm and I don't care how good your bball team is it doesn't rank in money like football.

Ohio State are idiots also they are paying Holtman 7.1mm.

College ADs are unbelievably stupid.

Pretty sure Holtman only makes 3.1mm not 7.1 Still too much, but in order to get a good coach the time of year they hired him, it was probably what they needed to spend.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is A&M an upgrade over Tech?

Serious question