• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Coaching Carousel

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech has definitely been better lately obviously but Arkansas has much better tradition if that even means anything anymore. Facilities and fan support are great as well. Our BOT was probably going to offer Beard $6 million if he didn’t make it this far.

Pretty happy with Musselman though, there may not be enough Red Bull in Fayetteville for he and Chad Morris.

Mussleman is a very good hire. Can recruit both high school players and transfers. He'll have you in the tournament by 2022 if not before.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beard is interesting though. No question UCLA is a better job than TT. But Beard is a Texas guy and spent 10 years at Tech as an assistant. Honestly think this might be his dream job. And if you can get to a title game at Tech, you might as well stay there. Sure it's a hard job, but dude is awesome. If Tech was smart they'd double his salary right now, which would put it at almost 6.5 million. If UCLA wants to hire a home run, they need to offer 10 plus million a year.

I personally am shocked UCLA would want him. Of course he is a hell of a coach but he is really defensive minded just like Howland was. It seems like UCLA would just be going back to the Howland (not a bad thing) days who they fired.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a really good coach. I'd be concerned about recruiting a little since he's been at Wofford forever, but I think he could pull in players since they just came off this run. I think it's a good hire. Outside of Buzz going to VT, it's never been a job to pull in a big fish so to speak. They are pretty much a school that can hire a high major assistant or a mid major HC IMO. He's a really good one out there.

personally think this is a meh hire. 58% winning percemtage in the socon doesn't make me a believer. 5 NCAAT appearances, including one fantastic season, and a bunch of mediocrity

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
personally think this is a meh hire. 58% winning percemtage in the socon doesn't make me a believer. 5 NCAAT appearances, including one fantastic season, and a bunch of mediocrity

They could a had Pitino!

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

fuck this dude

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were certainly better options out there, no doubt. But VT isn't a great job IMO, and it's a total rebuild at this point. If you think about it, VT may be the worst job in the entire ACC. Maybe BC, but at least they have some semblance of tournament appearances/success.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really meh imo. He's been there 16 years and hasn't really established anything and has zero high major experience even as an assistant I believe.

VT wasn't going to get a home run hire. The guys they immediately got mentioned with(Cronin, Marshall, Wojo, Willard) were not realistic in any sense(I think Willard heard them out simply for leverage). But I still think they coulda found better than this guy. This is Porter Moser but without the tourney run to back it up.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that Mike Young hire. SoCon is traditionally a bottom third conference. That's too weak of a conference to make a jump to the ACC and have success imo. I never expected Gregg Marshall but its perfectly reasonable to assume VT can make a hire pouching a lateral Power 5 school or (the likeliest) getting a coach from a mid-major (think Big East, AAC, A10, MWC, etc) and not some bottom conference. Whit Babcock shit the bed on this one imo. I don't expect much success out of this

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that Mike Young hire. SoCon is traditionally a bottom third conference. That's too weak of a conference to make a jump to the ACC and have success imo. I never expected Gregg Marshall but its perfectly reasonable to assume VT can make a hire pouching a lateral Power 5 school or (the likeliest) getting a coach from a mid-major (think Big East, AAC, A10, MWC, etc) and not some bottom conference. Whit Babcock shit the bed on this one imo. I don't expect much success out of this

why can't we have nice things?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Shaka didn't win the NIT with Texas, I would've figured he could've been a good possibility for VT. But figuring that championship will buy him at least another year there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn’t make a lot of sense. Barnes is already 64 and don’t know why he would want to do another rebuild at his age right after he just resurrected Tennessee

UCLA wants a name. They can't walk away with just some small school guy

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech has definitely been better lately obviously but Arkansas has much better tradition if that even means anything anymore. Facilities and fan support are great as well. Our BOT was probably going to offer Beard $6 million if he didn’t make it this far.

Pretty happy with Musselman though, there may not be enough Red Bull in Fayetteville for he and Chad Morris.
Yeah, it was hard for me to say Tech was better than either one but that is JMO at this point. It was hard because I grew up a "Woodenite" and UCLA fan. And I have a soft spot for Arkie as well. Nolan won a junior college title here in my home town with Paul Pressey/etal in 1980 and the town still loves him. And he is a UTEP alum so I'm a quasi piggie fan because of that.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beard is interesting though. No question UCLA is a better job than TT. But Beard is a Texas guy and spent 10 years at Tech as an assistant. Honestly think this might be his dream job. And if you can get to a title game at Tech, you might as well stay there. Sure it's a hard job, but dude is awesome. If Tech was smart they'd double his salary right now, which would put it at almost 6.5 million. If UCLA wants to hire a home run, they need to offer 10 plus million a year.
From what I understand, his kids from his first marriage live in Abilene...from his McMurry College coaching days. That is a big plus for him staying put. But, Tech still needs to pony up and pay him VERY WELL because he's a good fit for them.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA wants a name. They can't walk away with just some small school guy

That name is going to be expensive. TCU's Jamie Dixon has an $8 million buyout, so he's out, now Barnes, who may be a bargain, is making $3.25 million annual salary and has a $5 million buyout.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Duke director of basketball ops Mike Schrage was named head coach at Elon Friday, extending the K coaching tree.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're Luke Walton, do you just throw your hat into the UCLA ring and tell the Lakers to fuck off?

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're Luke Walton, do you just throw your hat into the UCLA ring and tell the Lakers to fuck off?
I would, because history has shown that Lebron loves to get coaches fired.