• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Coaching Carousel

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were certainly better options out there, no doubt. But VT isn't a great job IMO, and it's a total rebuild at this point. If you think about it, VT may be the worst job in the entire ACC. Maybe BC, but at least they have some semblance of tournament appearances/success.

BC is a worse job. Zero fan support + bad facilities. BC does have a much better basketball history, though.

Thinking the ability to make a Buzz Williams type of hire was just a perfect storm for VT in 2014 and shouldn't be expected to be the norm.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-tech-ad-kirby-hocutt-confident-he-can-keep-chris-beard-longterm-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-052931586.html
Will he stay or will he go?

If a person can handle living in West Texas, I pesonally think Tech is a better job than Arkansas or UCLA. jmo

Arkansas is one of the few schools that has managed to make the NCAAT 30+ times. They haven't been good lately, but Arkansas is still a much better job than Texas Tech.

Not going to touch your comment about UCLA with a 10,000 foot pole

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really meh imo. He's been there 16 years and hasn't really established anything and has zero high major experience even as an assistant I believe.

VT wasn't going to get a home run hire. The guys they immediately got mentioned with(Cronin, Marshall, Wojo, Willard) were not realistic in any sense(I think Willard heard them out simply for leverage). But I still think they coulda found better than this guy. This is Porter Moser but without the tourney run to back it up.

Young has seven losing seasons in 17 years. The definition of a meh mid-major hire. If VT was going to hire from the SoCon, then I would have went with Wes Miller. Still wouldn't have been crazy about it, but I believe that Miller has the potential to be a good coach at the high major level. Don't feel that way about Young.

In general, I'm with @wildturkey about hiring from the SoCon. The jump is too big for most.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why can't we have nice things?

Beyond never having nice things, VT seems to have the only athletic department in the country that just doesn't get recruiting matters.

Fuente's recruiting has been an absolute joke and is just getting worse, and now this fuck of a hire (who hates recruiting AAU) is potentially bringing his Wofford staff? You can't even make this shit up. We couldn't ignore recruiting more if we tried.

Whit may be on a short leash if the two cashcow sports continue toward mediocrity.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young has seven losing seasons in 17 years. The definition of a meh mid-major hire. If VT was going to hire from the SoCon, then I would have went with Wes Miller. Still wouldn't have been crazy about it, but I believe that Miller has the potential to be a good coach at the high major level. Don't feel that way about Young.

In general, I'm with @wildturkey about hiring from the SoCon. The jump is too big for most.

Call it what it is - a terrible hire. I've made my thoughts well known on other message boards and I'm pretty much sick of it by now. Time to move on and just pray for a miracle :noidea:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mullins stepping down at St John's. Rothstein reports Bobby Hurley as the leading candidate.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Mullins stepping down at St John's. Rothstein reports Bobby Hurley as the leading candidate.

Second time in the past five years that St. John's has parted ways with a coach following an appearance in the NCAAT.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beyond never having nice things, VT seems to have the only athletic department in the country that just doesn't get recruiting matters.

Fuente's recruiting has been an absolute joke and is just getting worse, and now this fuck of a hire (who hates recruiting AAU) is potentially bringing his Wofford staff? You can't even make this shit up. We couldn't ignore recruiting more if we tried.

Whit may be on a short leash if the two cashcow sports continue toward mediocrity.

I think Whits doing a helluva job. :pop2:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second time in the past five years that St. John's has parted ways with a coach following an appearance in the NCAAT.

Might be worth it of they get Hurley.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Scheyer in play at St John's. Just feels like he graduated. Only 31.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't get it either. Mully had them trending in the right direction. Their expectations must be way too high because to me, St. John's is not a good job. The Big East is dead. Being in the City is not appealing. The talent that's actually in NYC is overrated but they still talk about it like NY is turning out pro after pro like its still the 70s or 80s. I don't know what they think they can achieve. To me, their height is probably what Seton Hall is right now, which is pretty good to be honest. But its gonna take time (took Willard years to SH there).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call it what it is - a terrible hire. I've made my thoughts well known on other message boards and I'm pretty much sick of it by now. Time to move on and just pray for a miracle :noidea:

You can fit in one more rant for us here. I love reading rants about it. It's cathartic because I feel like punching every Hokie fan that thinks its a positive that Young can be "Basketball Beamer!" and doesn't need AAU guys even though 98% of all prospects worth a damn pass through AAU

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be worth it of they get Hurley.

Idk. Watching that abomination of a play in game didn’t exactly scream, “let’s go get the other guy”

Lol

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doesn't matter how bad Fuente recruits, you guys have the mental edge in the football rivalry (if you can call it that anymore).

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mick Cronin to UCLA is official. That Cincy fan got his wish.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I really take them seriously again?

No one in the AAC can beat them still, but idk.

Depends on who Cincy hires. Have no clue who they'd go after...