• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the only reason we are doing this

If we knew beyond a reasonable doubt this would kill let's say....double the amount of people the flu normally does every single year and we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt the medical community could handle it we'd be looking at full basketball games and baseball fields right now.

Death is horrible and my heart goes out to anyone who has lost or will lose someone to this insidious thing. And to this point we've done the right things from a state perspective. (Not the CDC or the fed though) but yes I'd prefer we dip our toes in the water than stay locked away

But again I respect your view
I think the problem is many would be too scared to dip their toes in.

Hell, I probably wont go in to work anytime soon since I can work from home. I'd avoid our rec center, as well.

If I played tennis I would do that, but wouldn't play bball yet.

unfounded? I don't doubt it is.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still boggles my mind that some NBA players don’t have a place to shoot during the shut down.

Hell, there was a pro baseball player (Joey Gallo I believe) who installed a batting cage inside his studio apartment. Find a way to work on your game.

Mind blown.
While I'm sure many have access, what about the young guys who live in luxury appartments in the city in which they play? Most rec centers, playgrounds and schools are closed.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the only reason we are doing this

If we knew beyond a reasonable doubt this would kill let's say....double the amount of people the flu normally does every single year and we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt the medical community could handle it we'd be looking at full basketball games and baseball fields right now.

Death is horrible and my heart goes out to anyone who has lost or will lose someone to this insidious thing. And to this point we've done the right things from a state perspective. (Not the CDC or the fed though) but yes I'd prefer we dip our toes in the water than stay locked away

But again I respect your view

They did have reasonable guesses as to what would happen. They knew the virus had a mortality rate of around 3%. The models projected 100,000s of deaths with nothing done and if the medical infrastructure is overwhelmed which it surely would be, the mortality rate (as seen in places like Italy) climbs into the teens and results in millions of deaths. With no preventative measures such as vaccinations or known treatments, the only option of mitigation is to shut things down. To prevent the catastrophe from being as bad as it could be on every level, you have to shut things down. Once you're on that route, you have to stay committed until it's clear you can move forward from a health perspective because its the health perspective that is driving this train. Using any other perspective to justify your decision making and you'll just stay in a loop with no progress made. No aspect of life gets better until people aren't dying in large numbers, aren't getting sick in large numbers, and people aren't fearful that if they go out, they won't get sick. And you can't start to accomplish those goals until there's measures and tools put in place to track, contain and get an accurate view of the virus.

You used a metaphor about dipping your toes in the water and that's good to expand on it to make you see where your error is. The water is boiling. We all need be in the water but no one can be in it because its far too hot. Everyone who touches it is getting burned so you've been advised to sit on the sideline and not touch it. It sucks waiting, but there's nothing to be done because the water is unusable right now. You're without water either way. Some time passes. You don't see furious bubbling any more but that doesn't mean the water is safe. It could still easily be hot enough to burn. If you wait a just tad bit longer, a temperature gauge will arrive and let you know its safe. Instead, you've decided to let people go in anyway, knowing there's still good chance they'll be burned but you're tired of waiting so let's go. It's crude but the larger point is there.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the problem is many would be too scared to dip their toes in.

Hell, I probably wont go in to work anytime soon since I can work from home. I'd avoid our rec center, as well.

If I played tennis I would do that, but wouldn't play bball yet.

unfounded? I don't doubt it is.

Everyone is welcome to make the choice they want

We may get reasonable SD by nature of that

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did have reasonable guesses as to what would happen. They knew the virus had a mortality rate of around 3%. The models projected 100,000s of deaths with nothing done and if the medical infrastructure is overwhelmed which it surely would be, the mortality rate (as seen in places like Italy) climbs into the teens and results in millions of deaths. With no preventative measures such as vaccinations or known treatments, the only option of mitigation is to shut things down. To prevent the catastrophe from being as bad as it could be on every level, you have to shut things down. Once you're on that route, you have to stay committed until it's clear you can move forward from a health perspective because its the health perspective that is driving this train. Using any other perspective to justify your decision making and you'll just stay in a loop with no progress made. No aspect of life gets better until people aren't dying in large numbers, aren't getting sick in large numbers, and people aren't fearful that if they go out, they won't get sick. And you can't start to accomplish those goals until there's measures and tools put in place to track, contain and get an accurate view of the virus.

You used a metaphor about dipping your toes in the water and that's good to expand on it to make you see where your error is. The water is boiling. We all need be in the water but no one can be in it because its far too hot. Everyone who touches it is getting burned so you've been advised to sit on the sideline and not touch it. It sucks waiting, but there's nothing to be done because the water is unusable right now. You're without water either way. Some time passes. You don't see furious bubbling any more but that doesn't mean the water is safe. It could still easily be hot enough to burn. If you wait a just tad bit longer, a temperature gauge will arrive and let you know its safe. Instead, you've decided to let people go in anyway, knowing there's still good chance they'll be burned but you're tired of waiting so let's go. It's crude but the larger point is there.
I think you are among the many who have been scared into not going back into the water (and I kind of am, as well).

I think we are getting to the point where it's time to let people decide for themselves what they want to do. I think most will be smart about it, too. For instance, a dentist might reopen, but patients might need to wait in the car until it's their turn.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is welcome to make the choice they want

We may get reasonable SD by nature of that
actually, just said that in a more recent post....close to where we need to let people make their own decisions, maybe with some restrictions (like movies, sporting events, etc).

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are among the many who have been scared into not going back into the water (and I kind of am, as well).

I think we are getting to the point where it's time to let people decide for themselves what they want to do. I think most will be smart about it, too. For instance, a dentist might reopen, but patients might need to wait in the car until it's their turn.

In two weeks I think we will be getting to that point yes. Which is what Ohio is doing

I do have concerns with all these businesses getting their hands on enough sanitizer, thermometers for their employees (probably will need each one to have their own), cleaning supplies etc though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In two weeks I think we will be getting to that point yes. Which is what Ohio is doing

I do have concerns with all these businesses getting their hands on enough sanitizer, thermometers for their employees (probably will need each one to have their own), cleaning supplies etc though.
Obviously what is needed depends on the business. I also think people are now more cognizant of washing their hands than they once were.

We have pretty much decided as a company we wont be going in until at least June 1, but that's because not a big deal to work at home (going in occasionally, maybe, for supplies)

Did you see the article in post 18840?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously what is needed depends on the business. I also think people are now more cognizant of washing their hands than they once were.

We have pretty much decided as a company we wont be going in until at least June 1, but that's because not a big deal to work at home (going in occasionally, maybe, for supplies)

Did you see the article in post 18840?

Yes and I agree it's relative. Obviously what's happened in NYC, Detroit, new Orleans is pretty rough though. It's hard to argue we wouldn't have had more hot spots without action

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and I agree it's relative. Obviously what's happened in NYC, Detroit, new Orleans is pretty rough though. It's hard to argue we wouldn't have had more hot spots without action
On that I agree. No Mardi Gras would have helped. An earlier stay at home in a city like NY certainly would have helped

Probably helped here, too, but who knows.....no doubt it has people scared to resume a semblance of normal life.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that I agree. No Mardi Gras would have helped. An earlier stay at home in a city like NY certainly would have helped

Probably helped here, too, but who knows.....no doubt it has people scared to resume a semblance of normal life.

We were screwed in NY since February due to international travel

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if they are lessening the restrictions on their own or if it was just the time of day that I was there.

But I went to a grocery store this afternoon that I go to fairly often. The last time I was there (Tuesday or Wednesday) they were still only letting a certain number of people in at a time.

Today, they weren't doing that. You still had to have a mask on and they still had signs about social distancing (which everyone seemed to be following), but that was it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were screwed in NY since February due to international travel

Yeah, unfortunately NY was always going to be in some trouble with something like this. There are so many people that live there and so many more coming and going from all over the world, that it would be virtually impossible to prevent it spreading.

Even if they had shut everything down back in late January when Trump instituted the travel restrictions, there was still going to be some amount of outbreak.

That's not anyone's fault, just the situation there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not scared at all. I just understand science and statistics. Shit, a month and half ago I was telling people here how to calculate mortality rates and how people were going to need to take this more seriously because it was gonna be disruptive (before there were lockdowns) and now those same people are like its time to move on because they're understand everything all of sudden.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not scared at all. I just understand science and statistics. Shit, a month and half ago I was telling people here how to calculate mortality rates and how people were going to need to take this more seriously because it was gonna be disruptive (before there were lockdowns) and now those same people are like its time to move on because they're understand everything all of sudden.

You didn't explain mortality rates to me dude. Just because we disagree does not mean you have to get uppity about it.

I will be happy to show you posts from myself warning people we would be worse than Italy and even best case scenario from the Imperial college had us losing 48k.

But again the death toll isn't the story it's whether the hospitals can function. The death toll is just a means to track it.

And I may not be a first responder but I am out in this shit every single day unlike much of this country.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Problem with that theory is that the results of their decision aren't just limited to them.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NY went from 778 deaths on April 13th to 507 deaths yesterdays (with less than 500 of those deaths coming from hospitals)

My county (Monroe) has deaths increasing more than cases, week to week. Cases are up 25% (we just cracked 1000 over the weekend), while deaths are up 40% (to 56) over the past week in a county of approx 750K.