• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will bite

What's controlled look like to you?

Because that's a vague measuring stick

And for the record this is good discussion thank you

And again though in your last sentence you mention death and sickness. That's a given. Even with lockdowns it will continue. But right now we have areas of this country that hospitals are virtually empty that are more than capable of handling a wave.

Every area is different. But you have to see how selling "keep it shut" to a state with 125 deaths in a month is a tough sell to people losing their livelihood

Testing capacity has to be in place to where you can get an accurate picture of what the virus is doing and have the ability for contact tracing and more localized quarantines if there's an uptick in outbreak. The reason every thing all over the country is shutdown is because we waited too late. If the federal gov't took it seriously from the start and coordinated with the states, containment was possible. Or at the very least, shorter lockdown periods. But now, you have to play catch up. And testing measures still aren't where they need to be. So even if you have an area where you think there's lower numbers and risk compared to other hot spots, you're risking those areas to actually become more exposed because you don't have an accurate picture of where that area and surrounding areas are. The lockdowns are largely driving keeping numbers down. If you open things up without control measures in place, its only a matter of time before your numbers are going to grow exponentially higher and you'll be forced to close again. So your goal of trying to help the economy is washed. You're already in economic dire straits and you just extended it. And you just callously got a lot of other people sick and dead because you couldn't wait that extra period of time to have everything in place.

That's the issue with your line of thinking. You indicated several times from some posts last night that you were more worried about the economic impact. Areas that haven't been hit as hard, it should open up because the economic impact isn't worth it. No, they shouldn't. The states closed to prevent the spread of the virus. Some got luckier than others because the virus hadn't spread as far and that's why they've been able to keep their numbers low. They can't just say "well, our numbers are low. This wasn't really worth it and we're losing too much economically so let's start opening things up". But if they don't have those testing and preventative measures in place, it's going to be like you never shut down to begin with. The number of cases will balloon.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Testing capacity has to be in place to where you can get an accurate picture of what the virus is doing and have the ability for contact tracing and more localized quarantines if there's an uptick in outbreak. The reason every thing all over the country is shutdown is because we waited too late. If the federal gov't took it seriously from the start and coordinated with the states, containment was possible. Or at the very least, shorter lockdown periods. But now, you have to play catch up. And testing measures still aren't where they need to be. So even if you have an area where you think there's lower numbers and risk compared to other hot spots, you're risking those areas to actually become more exposed because you don't have an accurate picture of where that area and surrounding areas are. The lockdowns are largely driving keeping numbers down. If you open things up without control measures in place, its only a matter of time before your numbers are going to grow exponentially higher and you'll be forced to close again. So your goal of trying to help the economy is washed. You're already in economic dire straits and you just extended it. And you just callously got a lot of other people sick and dead because you couldn't wait that extra period of time to have everything in place.

That's the issue with your line of thinking. You indicated several times from some posts last night that you were more worried about the economic impact. Areas that haven't been hit as hard, it should open up because the economic impact isn't worth it. No, they shouldn't. The states closed to prevent the spread of the virus. Some got luckier than others because the virus hadn't spread as far and that's why they've been able to keep their numbers low. They can't just say "well, our numbers are low. This wasn't really worth it and we're losing too much economically so let's start opening things up". But if they don't have those testing and preventative measures in place, it's going to be like you never shut down to begin with. The number of cases will balloon.

I appreciate you taking the time to pose your argument. I do respectfully disagree but I do see where you're coming from.

And yes states closed to prevent the spread of the virus. But the idea was to not overwhelm the medical infrastructure. Closing down to prevent a virus starts to become exactly what my argument is about....is it worth the economic damage to prevent a virus spread. Again the goal was to limit it. Not outright prevent it.

A company like Smithfield I'd really call into question how they managed to muck it up that badly for example. Clearly the population is unanimously agreed grocery stores should be open correct? Sure Smithfield has like 3000 employees there but you look at a grocery store that has hundreds if not a few thousand customers per day and you have even less control over the customer base

What protocols were in place there? What sanitation?

I know I'm shifting gears but lessons can be learned from a scenario like that to prevent it rather than using it as an example to lock everyone down.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worldometers don't use the correct number for NY that the GOV does

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't what they do. They add deaths that are not on Gov Cuomo list. Not even the day after so it is weird. 2nd time in 3 days they've done this
They are pretty clear on their methodology, it's not a conspiracy. I trust their numbers.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate you taking the time to pose your argument. I do respectfully disagree but I do see where you're coming from.

And yes states closed to prevent the spread of the virus. But the idea was to not overwhelm the medical infrastructure. Closing down to prevent a virus starts to become exactly what my argument is about....is it worth the economic damage to prevent a virus spread. Again the goal was to limit it. Not outright prevent it.

A company like Smithfield I'd really call into question how they managed to muck it up that badly for example. Clearly the population is unanimously agreed grocery stores should be open correct? Sure Smithfield has like 3000 employees there but you look at a grocery store that has hundreds if not a few thousand customers per day and you have even less control over the customer base

What protocols were in place there? What sanitation?

I know I'm shifting gears but lessons can be learned from a scenario like that to prevent it rather than using it as an example to lock everyone down.

What is the purpose to not overwhelm the medical infrastructure? The reason is to prevent widespread death and sickness. That's the reason. Because widespread death and sickness is both horrible morally and reeks havoc economically. But lockdowns also cause havoc economically, except you limit sickness and death because it controls the spread and keeps the medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed (preventing wide spread death and sickness). So you're still stuck economically, but morally you're doing the best you can. This is where your gap in is. You are not seeing you are screwed either way economically. And if you come out of lockdown too soon, its as if you didn't bother with one to begin with. You're just needlessly putting lives at risk for an economic hole you're already in because you don't realize you don't yet have the tools to dig your way out.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the purpose to not overwhelm the medical infrastructure? [/B]The reason is to prevent widespread death and sickness. That's the reason. Because widespread death and sickness is both horrible morally and reeks havoc economically. But lockdowns also cause havoc economically, except you limit sickness and death because it controls the spread and keeps the medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed (preventing wide spread death and sickness). So you're still stuck economically, but morally you're doing the best you can. This is where your gap in is. You are not seeing you are screwed either way economically. And if you come out of lockdown too soon, its as if you didn't bother with one to begin with. You're just needlessly putting lives at risk for an economic hole you're already in because you don't realize you don't yet have the tools to dig your way out.

That's the only reason we are doing this

If we knew beyond a reasonable doubt this would kill let's say....double the amount of people the flu normally does every single year and we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt the medical community could handle it we'd be looking at full basketball games and baseball fields right now.

Death is horrible and my heart goes out to anyone who has lost or will lose someone to this insidious thing. And to this point we've done the right things from a state perspective. (Not the CDC or the fed though) but yes I'd prefer we dip our toes in the water than stay locked away

But again I respect your view

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's obviously just doing it for attention. :heh:

Still boggles my mind that some NBA players don’t have a place to shoot during the shut down.

Hell, there was a pro baseball player (Joey Gallo I believe) who installed a batting cage inside his studio apartment. Find a way to work on your game.

Mind blown.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly can't remember the last time Wiggy had a take that turned out correct

The last time that I can remember was when he said that if Lebron left the Cavs, he'd go to the Lakers.

He was also right when he said they'd get rid of all or most of the kids. He just was wrong about how soon it would happen.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time that I can remember was when he said that if Lebron left the Cavs, he'd go to the Lakers.

He was also right when he said they'd get rid of all or most of the kids. He just was wrong about how soon it would happen.
That's fair.

Credit where it's due.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still boggles my mind that some NBA players don’t have a place to shoot during the shut down.

Hell, there was a pro baseball player (Joey Gallo I believe) who installed a batting cage inside his studio apartment. Find a way to work on your game.

Mind blown.

Yeah, I get it if they live in a condo or apartment. But even then, I would think they'd have access to a court somewhere. Heck, I don't have a basketball hoop either...but I can walk a couple of blocks to where one is.

The park is technically closed, but I know that the cops will put a stop to it if it's a bunch of people playing a full on game.

But they aren't going to stop 1 or 2 people shooting baskets.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get it if they live in a condo or apartment. But even then, I would think they'd have access to a court somewhere. Heck, I don't have a basketball hoop either...but I can walk a couple of blocks to where one is.

The park is technically closed, but I know that the cops will put a stop to it if it's a bunch of people playing a full on game.

But they aren't going to stop 1 or 2 people shooting baskets.

From what I read earlier this week, most of the Heat players live in condo. Have to remember it is a young team with guys mostly on their rookie contract/undrafted.

From what I read earlier this week only Dragic and Butler had hoops

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read earlier this week, most of the Heat players live in condo. Have to remember it is a young team with guys mostly on their rookie contract/undrafted.

From what I read earlier this week only Dragic and Butler had hoops

Where are they going to put the ones Jimmy sends them?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are pretty clear on their methodology, it's not a conspiracy. I trust their numbers.
Have to say I am not conspiracy guy but would not be shocked to one day learn there was one here. Not saying it is NY related. Not sure who or why....but, again, it wouldn't shock me.