• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Trouba signed at 7/$56 million. Does this help set the market for Provy? Trouba had his best year last year
82 8 42 50. Not sure Provy has earned that contract, but 7/$49 million doesn't sound crazy.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Trouba signed at 7/$56 million. Does this help set the market for Provy? Trouba had his best year last year
82 8 42 50. Not sure Provy has earned that contract, but 7/$49 million doesn't sound crazy.
If im Provy and the Flyers offer me 7/49 im grabbing the nearest pen and signing.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This board has officially jumped the shark. :tsk:

Ill check out some new boards and let you know if we should go over there.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its July 23rd

I know I'm ready for preseason. Can't wait to get this season going.

Vegas set the O/U at 90.5 points. That's easy money betting on the over, IMO.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put of 4 articles on on July 23rd and crickets also Chy posted about Troubas contract effecting Provy's contract and more crickets.
Im just saying man its the middle of the summer. People are away. Nothing is happening at all in the NHL right now.

Love that you keep posting articles. Im sure as we get a bit closer things will pick up around here and we can fight about JVR some more :)

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with every point of view in this article.

Baseball is a total mess - it takes a miracle for small market teams to succeed. The big names get fat and lazy and is one of the reasons it has lost appeal. That plus the game itself is mind numbingly boring.

Basketball has fundamentally turned into a long series of one on one’s. Football remains a team sport with a lot of thinking going on. Not sure how much their system impacts the rosters.

Having the cap causes a lot of great dynamics and emphasizes teamwork and coaching, with a lot of in game strategy to maximize your roster vs the competition. You have to have a smart GM and supportive front office. I think the NHL has it right.

The only argument against the cap is losing talent to other leagues. I don’t see all of the ‘ ovs ‘ beating a path to the KHL

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im just saying man its the middle of the summer. People are away. Nothing is happening at all in the NHL right now.

Love that you keep posting articles. Im sure as we get a bit closer things will pick up around here and we can fight about JVR some more :)
I see you and Awaz arent on vacation and neither is Chy or Purdue. We should really be able to put up at least 10 posts per day between us dont ya think?

There is no arguing about big Puss he is a one trick pony and got paid like a star. The article i posted a little while ago pretty much said that his demise will be soon.:suds:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree with every point of view in this article.

Baseball is a total mess - it takes a miracle for small market teams to succeed. The big names get fat and lazy and is one of the reasons it has lost appeal. That plus the game itself is mind numbingly boring.

Basketball has fundamentally turned into a long series of one on one’s. Football remains a team sport with a lot of thinking going on. Not sure how much their system impacts the rosters.

Having the cap causes a lot of great dynamics and emphasizes teamwork and coaching, with a lot of in game strategy to maximize your roster vs the competition. You have to have a smart GM and supportive front office. I think the NHL has it right.

The only argument against the cap is losing talent to other leagues. I don’t see all of the ‘ ovs ‘ beating a path to the KHL
I think the argument in this article wasn't necessarily the cap but a hard cap that hockey sticks by hurts the game.

Baseball and basketball draw more than hockey. me personally i have no idea why but that is the bottom line as far as cap. the more money the sport makes the more money the cap is.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the argument in this article wasn't necessarily the cap but a hard cap that hockey sticks by hurts the game.

Baseball and basketball draw more than hockey. me personally i have no idea why but that is the bottom line as far as cap. the more money the sport makes the more money the cap is.

Not enough kids are exposed to hockey as a kid due to the high price to play.
Even up here in Toronto hockey isnt as big as it used to be due to it being a sport for the rich.
Many organizations are trying to tap into ways to engage new Canadians and lower income youth to try and save the sport in some ways.

Anyhow my point is that more kids at a young age are exposed to Basketball Baseball etc creating fans for life

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even up here in Toronto hockey isnt as big as it used to be due to it being a sport for the rich.
Many organizations are trying to tap into ways to engage new Canadians and lower income youth to try and save the sport in some ways.

Anyhow my point is that more kids at a young age are exposed to Basketball Baseball etc creating fans for life

Bingo, IMO. It's a lot more difficult to get in to hockey as a kid. Expensive, practices at difficult times. Plus it has similar 'long term health' concerns of football. When kids aren't playing, it's more difficult to get them to be a fan, especially considering hockey's relative (to NFL/NBA) lack of coverage in the US.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t know the math - but having the cap directly tied to % of revenue makes a whole lot of sense to me. Obviously can argue the % and I’m sure that’s a big part of the CBA.

He argues that teams with bad draws get rewarded anyway. So what’s the remedy - keep moving teams around ? Less teams ? Both hurt the fan base and the players.

Maybe if doc emrick called every game for every team more people would watch and revenues would go up.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This too ! And Bauer doesn’t make much money selling skates to kids to wear to school.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I still don’t like JVR

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of that article seemed to be putting the blame on the cap instead of on the GMs. It's not the cap's fault when GM's sign players to dumb contracts a la Bryz. Some GM's haven't gotten that concept yet and it hurts the rest of the league because the smart GM's either miss out on players or have to overpay to match what dumb GM's offer.

And some of the article was pointing to it hurting 'good markets'. The Pens, Bruins, Blackhawks, and Red Wings have won the majority of cups in the past 10-12 years. Traditional hockey markets, good hockey markets. If you add in the Kings who are in one of the biggest markets; arguing that the NHL is hurting itself in key markets by having a hard cap looks pretty silly IMO.

And I had to chuckle when the author used VGK as an example of growing a loyal fan base. Really, two years in and you're already calling them a good, loyal hockey market? Let's see how they do if the team drops off or how they do when the Raiders get there in 2020.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Same here most kids in NYC play hoops , flag football ,baseball, soccer and lacrosse before they play hockey.