• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok let me put it this way, as a fan I'm tired of better. NONE of the acqired players we went out and got puts in position to vie for a cup. Everyone is so fuckin high on Hayes and this guy is what? I'm not going to try and convince you and Awaz or anybody else he sucks but if you guys are cool with an upgrade of mediocrity more power to you. Me I'll be rooting for the Av's in the WCF and probably the cup so next season wont be a total waste. Another 3 year plan coming to fruitation any time now lol.

And like some of us have said previously. The Flyers problem was depth. The bottom half of their roster sucked. For years. They lost games because those players were garbage. Fletcher addressed that by adding 3, quality, middle of the lineup guys.

I don’t see how this is a 3 year plan. He added pieces that very clearly help the team this season.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And like some of us have said previously. The Flyers problem was depth. The bottom half of their roster sucked. For years. They lost games because those players were garbage. Fletcher addressed that by adding 3, quality, middle of the lineup guys.

I don’t see how this is a 3 year plan. He added pieces that very clearly help the team this season.
Like I said, they did add some pieces, just nothing IMO that makes us cup contenders, it makes us IMO a team that will get through the season, more than likely make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round because we can't score with more talented teams. The improvements to this team were slight not major, also I think(my opinion) that Gudas is a better Dman than Braun at this point. I guess we'll see if I am wrong about things and will be glad to admit it, but for people to be happy with the over all make up of this team to me is just bizzare. We had the money and if were really talking about moving Ghost we could have made a huge splash somewhere with these 2 assets.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, they did add some pieces, just nothing IMO that makes us cup contenders, it makes us IMO a team that will get through the season, more than likely make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round because we can't score with more talented teams. The improvements to this team were slight not major, also I think(my opinion) that Gudas is a better Dman than Braun at this point. I guess we'll see if I am wrong about things and will be glad to admit it, but for people to be happy with the over all make up of this team to me is just bizzare. We had the money and if were really talking about moving Ghost we could have made a huge splash somewhere with these 2 assets.

Creating that huge splash creates another hole with Ghost and doesn’t fill all the other holes. Fletcher opted to try to fill holes instead of make a big splash. Even if you make that big splash, the Flyers roster would still have holes, because you would’ve spent all your assets acquiring that big splash.

The Flyers path to a cup is, was, and would have been, through progression of the young players on the team. If Patrick, Sanheim, Ghost, Provorov, Konecny, and Lindblom don’t continue to improve and become difference makers in the league; they’re sunk.

There aren’t enough assets in the world to overcome a salary cap and remake a team wrought with high potential young players that stagnate as mediocre NHLers.

Fletcher tried to add pieces to put those young players in the best position to succeed. Rather than try to overcome their development timeline.

I’m good with that.

Last edited:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was cruising articles on Vigneault to see how aligned Fletcher's moves are to the style Vigneault may bring to the Flyers. I believe hockey is the most team oriented sport there is. Some may take issue that football is - but that sport takes a break every 4-5 seconds to regroup. Anyway... I am in the camp that hockey teams live and die more from the coaching than the players - within reason.

Bottom line - I'm as confused as ever as to the connection between our emerging roster and our coach's game.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say they traded for Point ahead of an offer sheet. Big splash time. What’s it take to get Point? Ghost, #11 and Frost? And you pay him $9M/year. So that eliminates the cap you used on Hayes and Braun. So you have room for 1 more move basically. You haven’t addressed the PK at all. No leadership added. And the defense, that already struggled, is now worse.

Panarin, by all accounts not interested in coming to Philly. Probably paying him $11M or more to entice him. So he’s literally you’re only move. Trot back out the same god awful PK and weak defense. In addition you’ve added a guy with some character concerns to a team that some already have concerns about.

Karlsson. Flyers never had a chance.

Trouba, maybe there’s a leg to stand on here. But that’s super risky. Giving up assets for an expensive rental potentially, or paying through the nose to keep him. Again, he’s likely your 1 move.

And you can always shuffle pieces around on the deck. Make more trades, move more salary. But this isn’t NHL19, you can’t remake your roster over night because you feel like it. You need trade partners. And they’re not going to be hoodwinked over and over again until somehow the Flyers accumulate all the value they need to make a surefire contender. The trades are probably going to be relatively even in value.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Id go after Kapanen here. We have extra Dmen. He will want 4-5 a year.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he already sign or am I thinking of someone else?
Nylander signed last year with them
'
Leafs are in trouble having to sign Kapanen,Marner and Johnnson. All RFAs
Marner wants 11 million

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember anyone getting excited when observing the blues lineup they looked good defensively mediocre in net and had a hard time scoring. Solid but no one said contender. Hayes is just another guy that adds to their depth and can do a lot of little things. Similar to O'Reily they just get it done no flash or splash. They can also add a rookie or rental in February when it will only cost a draft pick not cap or young talent. They can actually keep Ghost by playing it this way... let's enjoy the ride if anything it will be interesting.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would. Ive seen him play this year and he can fly. He is great on the Pk. Has great hands.
I'd only do it if Morin is ready and they received something else back. Ghost is a little more proven and dmen have more value...

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember anyone getting excited when observing the blues lineup they looked good defensively mediocre in net and had a hard time scoring. Solid but no one said contender. Hayes is just another guy that adds to their depth and can do a lot of little things. Similar to O'Reily they just get it done no flash or splash. They can also add a rookie or rental in February when it will only cost a draft pick not cap or young talent. They can actually keep Ghost by playing it this way... let's enjoy the ride if anything it will be interesting.
I'm pretty sure the year before we traded Schenn they lost the WCF to the Sharks, then they had a down season with a shit ton of injuries which extended into last season, then they got healthy, added depth with O'Rielly who is a proven top tier player and they exceled. They already had the piece's in place they just got healthy when other teams were getting injured and they thrived. I never said we didn't get better but it's not nearly enough IMO. We can only see it'll just suck to be stuck with that Hayes contract if he doesn't pan out.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mornin g boys! Draft night is finally here:suds:. So do we stay at 11 or move up, down, or trade it? I'm seeing a few rumors floating around about th Flyers interest in Ehlers. I do not want to lose Ghost and it would likely cost us at least him imo.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mornin g boys! Draft night is finally here:suds:. So do we stay at 11 or move up, down, or trade it? I'm seeing a few rumors floating around about th Flyers interest in Ehlers. I do not want to lose Ghost and it would likely cost us at least him imo.
I never let being clueless stop me from making predictions.... Fletcher is done with the moves and will quietly pick at #11