• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wooo, what a week! Let's keep it rolling!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're suggesting the team playing 1 game in 4 nights as opposed to 3 games in 4 nights won't have fresher legs in the 3rd?

This is a fairly accepted concept throughout the sport from coaches to players to media...
Average ice time for a player is 15-20 minutes a game. Yea that should be soon tiring lol.cmon man these guys are in top shape.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put the on on shape thing in perspective, I'm 53 years old. I can ride 10 plus miles on my bike anyday of the week, why cause I've built up that type of conditioning. If you did I on a whim, chances are you would struggle the next day, if you trained constantly, not so much.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average ice time for a player is 15-20 minutes a game. Yea that should be soon tiring lol.cmon man these guys are in top shape.

We've talked about this before, but it's not that they're tired compared to you or I. Of course they can still perform at a higher level than we can.

But elite athlete who's played 1 game in 4 days is going to be a lot fresher than an elite athlete that's played 3 games in 4 days.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've talked about this before, but it's not that they're tired compared to you or I. Of course they can still perform at a higher level than we can.

But elite athlete who's played 1 game in 4 days is going to be a lot fresher than an elite athlete that's played 3 games in 4 days.
You are entitled to that opinion, as now as then, I ain't buying that excuse now or ever.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are entitled to that opinion, as now as then, I ain't buying that excuse now or ever.

I don't understand how that's an opinion TBH.

Look at your bike riding example, you say 10 is no big deal on any day. So what if you rode 10 today as fast as you could, off tomorrow, 10 more on Wednesday as fast as you could and then got on the bike to ride 10 on Thursday. Are you telling me there would be no drop off in your time for your 10 on Thursday? Maybe 10 is a low bar, think about your max distance. We expect 110% from these guys every night, so that's what we should use for your bike ride. If you rode your max distance Monday and Wednesday as fast as you could, there would be a drop off in your performance on Thursday.

Even a peak performer would have a slight drop off, and that slight drop off, when you're talking about professional athletes, can make a huge difference. If Giroux is a quarter step slow from fatigue, he could lose 5 more puck races than he would've on Monday or Wednesday. Those 5 lost puck races could mean a goal against. That goal against could lose them the game.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how that's an opinion TBH.

Look at your bike riding example, you say 10 is no big deal on any day. So what if you rode 10 today as fast as you could, off tomorrow, 10 more on Wednesday as fast as you could and then got on the bike to ride 10 on Thursday. Are you telling me there would be no drop off in your time for your 10 on Thursday? Maybe 10 is a low bar, think about your max distance. We expect 110% from these guys every night, so that's what we should use for your bike ride. If you rode your max distance Monday and Wednesday as fast as you could, there would be a drop off in your performance on Thursday.

Even a peak performer would have a slight drop off, and that slight drop off, when you're talking about professional athletes, can make a huge difference. If Giroux is a quarter step slow from fatigue, he could lose 5 more puck races than he would've on Monday or Wednesday. Those 5 lost puck races could mean a goal against. That goal against could lose them the game.
You are trying to equate a 40 miles bike ride, which is about my Max to 40-60 seconds of action? If I could do short spurts, rest for a couple of minutes and start again I could ride a long ways at good speeds. If I rode 10 miles at my top and did it again, weds, and Friday. I don't think my dropoff would be noticible or not I'm going to test it and see what's up. Also remember I'm 53 not 23. Not an excuse for me or them.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are trying to equate a 40 miles bike ride, which is about my Max to 40-60 seconds of action? If I could do short spurts, rest for a couple of minutes and start again I could ride a long ways at good speeds. If I rode 10 miles at my top and did it again, weds, and Friday. I don't think my dropoff would be noticible or not I'm going to test it and see what's up. Also remember I'm 53 not 23. Not an excuse for me or them.

I know the age comparison and the shape comparison aren't apples to apples. But your 'fresh' performance vs your 'tired' performance should be a relatively apples/apples comparison between their 'fresh' performance vs. their 'tired' performance. A person that is 'fresh' is always going to be athletically superior to a person who is 'tired'. Regardless of baseline athletic ability.

For you or I to say a professional hockey player should be 'fresh' on their 3rd game in 4 nights, while also expecting them to give 110% on every shift they take throughout all 3 games, seems like asking too much to me. Especially when you consider the people that would know how a shift, game, or season effects a professional hockey player (players, ex-players, coaches, trainers, etc.) all say that makes a big difference. IMO, they know a lot better than I do.

My closest comparable is when I play indoor soccer, which is similar in size, field layout, team size, "line changes"; after 2-3 minutes of trying to keep up with decently in-shape adults in constant motion, I'm sucking wind. After 6-7 minutes when I 'overstay my shift', I'm skipping out on runs I should be making. And that's coming in fresh. I'm sure that multiplies when you add in skating, hitting (and the general physicality of hockey), and elite athletes. So ya, 40-60 seconds isn't a long shift, but it's giving it literally every ounce of energy you have for 40-60 seconds and then doing it 20 times a game. Then waking up and doing it 20 more times the next day.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, i'm not saying they shouldn't be able to go out and play hockey at a high level. They're elite athletes, they should be able to play at a high level 7 days a week for a year. But a high level isn't good enough to compete in the NHL. They need to be playing at an elite level. And I don't think the human body can consistently operate at elite level athleticism on a daily basis. It's just not humanly possible.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fits off Happy veterans day to Mall and all US Veterans around the world!!! :suds::clap::salute::usa2:

Thank you for your service!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Shit What a weekend 4 points out of 4 against 2 quality teams. Life is just good right now. :nod:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe during the Canadien game they announced that teams playing in the second game of back to backs were 20-22 this season. Can you bring up the current record because it doesnt seem like 20-22 is that bad of a record for teams who are supposedly tired on the second night.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, i'm not saying they shouldn't be able to go out and play hockey at a high level. They're elite athletes, they should be able to play at a high level 7 days a week for a year. But a high level isn't good enough to compete in the NHL. They need to be playing at an elite level. And I don't think the human body can consistently operate at elite level athleticism on a daily basis. It's just not humanly possible.
Cmon you know JVR is not an elite athlete.:D

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol all this aside, my original comment was just that, last year we didn't show up until half way through games and this year it seems a little reversed. That could be because I've noticed in the third that lesser defensive players are getting less minutes to.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Habs’ Price wearing heart monitor during games

Here's an interesting clip from Price a few years ago. The estimate from the heart monitor is that he, as a goalie, burns 2,000 calories in warmup+game. My normal bike ride is ~19 miles and I burn ~700 calories in that time. I try not to ride the day before a soccer game because the drop off in my athleticism is very noticeable to me. Price is burning 3x that in a game night. I'm sure he feels the effects the next day, maybe not even to the extent that I do with my 700 calorie burn (he is in much better shape than me!), but he feels something. That something, compared to a fresh NHL goalie, could make a huge difference.