• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-20 Quest for the cup(The Carter Hart era begins)

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'd rather gamble that a Lindblom-Laughton-Farabee line can tread water for a few weeks (hopefully) and those 1st and 2nd lines can carry play; rather than break up Giroux/Couturier. Mostly because it throws other turmoil in there. If your preferred 2nd line is JvR-Hayes-Voracek, and you keep that together, then you have Couturier/Konecny on the top line, Giroux/Farabee on the "3rd line". Which line gets Lindblom? And the other one gets, Raffl? I don't really love that scenario either.

Maybe you break up the 2nd line too, but at that point you're just throwing everything in to a blender and putting the forward chemistry/gelling on pause until Patrick (or Frost?) can take over as 3C. I don't love that. They need a good start this year, I think going blender style builds in another excuse for a slow start. If you keep Giroux on the wing, at least your top 6 can remain constant and build chemistry. 2/3rds of your 3rd line can too. Laughton on the 3rd line isn't ideal, but hopefully it's short term.

Unless they plan on playing Hagg (not what I want either), I don't see how the 3rd pair isn't boom/bust all season. They only have 3 guys that can really be the calm/anchor influence on a pair, and you're using two of them on the Provorov/Niskanen pair. Whatever combination ends up your 3rd pair, Sanheim/Myers (most likely it seems) or Ghost/Myers, is going to be two risk takers that try to push play. Sometimes that's going to work, sometimes it's not. I think we just have to hope the former outnumbers the latter. Unless AV and Yeo can figure out how to reign them in without crippling their best traits.

I guess it all depends on the real story with Patrick. If he's going to be out another couple of months then blend the lines now and don't pretend Laughton can really be a 3C. If the timetable for Patrick's return is closer to a couple of weeks then I can support keeping the top 6 together. Fingers crossed either way!

It looks like Myers is pressing more than he did at the end of last year, maybe because he's putting too much pressure on himself to prove he deserves that spot. Just play your game, Phil.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NAK, and the rest of the guys waived yesterday, cleared.

Today at practice:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JvR-Hayes-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Farabee
Twarynski-Bunnaman-Stewart
Lindblom

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Braun
Hagg-Niskanen
Morin-Myers

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No update on Patrick yet, though I think Fletch said we'd get one today.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it all depends on the real story with Patrick. If he's going to be out another couple of months then blend the lines now and don't pretend Laughton can really be a 3C. If the timetable for Patrick's return is closer to a couple of weeks then I can support keeping the top 6 together. Fingers crossed either way!

It looks like Myers is pressing more than he did at the end of last year, maybe because he's putting too much pressure on himself to prove he deserves that spot. Just play your game, Phil.
That's a good point. If Patrick is out long term, I think you have to look at something other than Laughton as your 3C.

Agree on Myers. Just needs to relax a little and play his game.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, PP practice today..

PP1: Ghost, Voracek, Giroux, Konecny, Couturier
PP2: Provorov, Niskanen, Hayes, JvR, Farabee

Sanheim should be the only dman on PP2. That 2nd unit looks more like they're trying to kill the rest of the penalty without giving up a SHG.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NAK, and the rest of the guys waived yesterday, cleared.

Today at practice:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JvR-Hayes-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Farabee
Lindblom

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Braun
Hagg-Niskanen
Morin-Myers

Safe to assume Lindblom is not going to be the 13th forward. That's just how they skated today. Sounds like Lindblom rotated in with JvR

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im starting to get really excited about Farabee

9 days boys

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safe to assume Lindblom is not going to be the 13th forward. That's just how they skated today. Sounds like Lindblom rotated in with JvR
Lindblom to me was a huge let down last year.
Im hoping he can get some playing time to see if he can produce.
If not there are a lot of young guys waiting for the chance

God its so good to see this depth starting to be at the cusp of the NHL now.

Good times ahead.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindblom to me was a huge let down last year.
Im hoping he can get some playing time to see if he can produce.
If not there are a lot of young guys waiting for the chance

God its so good to see this depth starting to be at the cusp of the NHL now.

Good times ahead.

I'm excited to see what happens when they actually have two (maybe 3) capable scoring lines. For the past 5 years the offense has been 'what can Giroux and his linemates do'. This season I have real hope that Hayes, Lindblom, JvR, Voracek, and maybe Farabee and/or Frost can string together at least one other line that can be a consistent scoring threat. I think that opens up things big time for the Flyers as a whole.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I li
I'm excited to see what happens when they actually have two (maybe 3) capable scoring lines. For the past 5 years the offense has been 'what can Giroux and his linemates do'. This season I have real hope that Hayes, Lindblom, JvR, Voracek, and maybe Farabee and/or Frost can string together at least one other line that can be a consistent scoring threat. I think that opens up things big time for the Flyers as a whole.
I really like Ratcliffe as well moving forward

Just really hope Patrick can get healthy, he has so much upside and is a big piece moving forward

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm actually comfortable with Laughton on the third line he doesn't have as much offense but he'll keep them steady until Patrick is back. Obviously he's a better fourth liner but I think it's best not to mess up your top lines. Farabee will be interesting and I bet Frost will push at some point during the season. Overall the key will be the D and team D in general must get that straightened out. Good times!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, migraine disorder doesn't sound good.

Just saw a couple tweets that AV said Frost will probably be going to the AHL, not a major surprise. And AV says Laughton is pretty much your 3C, at least for now.

So I would say tonight's lineup is pretty close to what they plan on starting the season with. JvR will come in for Twarynski or Stewart (i'm guessing, since Bunnaman can play 4C, that would also move Raffl down to the 4th line) and they'll have a Hagg/Myers decision for the 3rd pair. My sense is Hagg is leading that conversation at the moment, based on the pairs they're looking at tonight. Only thing that would change that would be maybe Pitlick being ready to go.

Tonight's lineup:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Lindblom-Hayes-Voracek
Raffl-Laughton-Farabee
JvR

Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Braun (scratched)
Hagg-Niskanen
Morin-Myers

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Migraine Disorder” can be a result of concussions, of which he’s had at least a couple. This could be career ending. See Lindros, Brett.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the interview with Fletcher after the 1st he’s dealt with migraines since was a child and they run in his family. They have him on a med management program now that they believe will alleviate the disorder after consulting with several experts

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hart, Farabee, and Laughton were the standouts for me last night, that order. Thought Myers played a nice controlled game too, which he needed. Also thought Morin had one of his better outings.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per the interview with Fletcher after the 1st he’s dealt with migraines since was a child and they run in his family. They have him on a med management program now that they believe will alleviate the disorder after consulting with several experts

That sounds like a lot of team-speak. The fact is that we have a player with serious migraine issues who has already had concussion issues that have possibly exacerbated the situation and who is playing a sport where future concussions are also likely. This is not a recipe for a happy ending. I wish him the best but color me very concerned about his future.