• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The C's made it to game 7 of the conference finals this past year without arguably their top two players... we're heading out of the realm of hypothetical and "assumption"...

You are looking at results and ignoring how they got there.

They went 7 games against a pretty flawed Bucks team. They beat a highly inexperienced Sixers team in a series where 3 of the 5 games were decided in the last minute.

And they beat a Cavs team that probably should have lost to the the Pacers in the 1st round.

They had a great series. And maybe Aaron Baynes has figured out perimeter shooter and will continue to be a near 50% 3 point shooter. Anything is possible.

This current C's roster is loaded and deadly. If GS wasn't the best team ever constructed, there would be far less doubt/argument on what a great team Boston is shaping into.

The Celtics current roster is very talented and they are going to be a very good team. But there are also questions about how the team is going to work. And just waving those aside as saying that the Celtics will simply play positionless basketball and everything will be wonderful isn't realistic assessment.

That isn't to say that the team is going to struggle or that it is not the presumptive favorite to win the conference. But the East is going to be tougher this year. IMO, the Raptors, Pacers, Bucks and Sixers will all be better this year. And the Celtics will need to find a way to make their roster work. Stevens is a great coach and if anyone can do it he can. But it is far from certain that it will happen.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be a successful team with virtually no big man presence.

That's not what they're being asked to do. At least not this year. This year, the goal is to continue to develop the kids and make the playoffs.

That should be doable.

Also, who was the Cavs big man presence? Love? How about the Heat? Bosh? I don't really consider Draymond a big man presence. Not in the traditional sense anyway.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what they're being asked to do. At least not this year. This year, the goal is to continue to develop the kids and make the playoffs.

That should be doable.

Also, who was the Cavs big man presence? Love? How about the Heat? Bosh? I don't really consider Draymond a big man presence. Not in the traditional sense anyway.

It's too bad the Lakers will be turning things around much sooner than later. LeBron should have went to the Clippers. So how's your Friday so far?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too bad the Lakers will be turning things around much sooner than later. LeBron should have went to the Clippers. So how's your Friday so far?

Lol. I don't know, the sooner we get back to Lakes/Celtics finals the better as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty good. I just got some Kalua Pork started in my smoker. Also, got a text from a collective that I haven't been to in awhile that if I show them the text, I get a 5g eighth, a free pre-roll and a free edible. So it's off to a good start. How's yours?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. I don't know, the sooner we get back to Lakes/Celtics finals the better as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty good. I just got some Kalua Pork started in my smoker. Also, got a text from a collective that I haven't been to in awhile that if I show them the text, I get a 5g eighth, a free pre-roll and a free edible. So it's off to a good start. How's yours?

Just relaxing today. Waiting for the MLB playoffs to get started & figure out what I'm gonna throw on the grill for dinner.

And that sounds like a good deal. I stopped by my dispensary yesterday & grabbed some edibles. Been liking those lately rather than toking up.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just relaxing today. Waiting for the MLB playoffs to get started & figure out what I'm gonna throw on the grill for dinner.

And that sounds like a good deal. I stopped by my dispensary yesterday & grabbed some edibles. Been liking those lately rather than toking up.

I still prefer to smoke, but I do like an occasional edible. I'm flying to Florida in a few days for my daughters wedding so I'll be saving the edible for the flight.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still prefer to smoke, but I do like an occasional edible. I'm flying to Florida in a few days for my daughters wedding so I'll be saving the edible for the flight.

Good deal.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are looking at results and ignoring how they got there.

They went 7 games against a pretty flawed Bucks team. They beat a highly inexperienced Sixers team in a series where 3 of the 5 games were decided in the last minute.

And they beat a Cavs team that probably should have lost to the the Pacers in the 1st round.
I've seen GS's playoff success get taken apart in similar fashion.

My response is: :noidea:. Everything the C's accomplished should be seen in the context of 1.) a team that is down it's top two players and 2.) a team that was very young.
flyer said:
They had a great series. And maybe Aaron Baynes has figured out perimeter shooter and will continue to be a near 50% 3 point shooter. Anything is possible.
I like Baynes, he's a fair role player.

That said: it was a cute boost that he hit some 3's in the playoffs, but by no means do the C's have to count on that in order to be special.
flyer said:
The Celtics current roster is very talented and they are going to be a very good team. But there are also questions about how the team is going to work. And just waving those aside as saying that the Celtics will simply play positionless basketball and everything will be wonderful isn't realistic assessment.

That isn't to say that the team is going to struggle or that it is not the presumptive favorite to win the conference. But the East is going to be tougher this year. IMO, the Raptors, Pacers, Bucks and Sixers will all be better this year. And the Celtics will need to find a way to make their roster work. Stevens is a great coach and if anyone can do it he can. But it is far from certain that it will happen.
Only time will tell on these points... really no point in hunkering down and arguing about it. Should be a fun season... :suds:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That should be doable.

I was talking specifically about this year and how far they can go.

The Cavs had Love and Tristan Thompson, although we tend to forget that given how he played last year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen GS's playoff success get taken apart in similar fashion.

And if they won a single championship after a good but not spectacular season, perhaps that would be a valid comparison. But given they have been to 4 straight finals, won 3, and have one of the greatest win totals over a 4 year span in NBA history.

My response is: :noidea:. Everything the C's accomplished should be seen in the context of 1.) a team that is down it's top two players and 2.) a team that was very young.

Both of those points are valid although I'm not sure if Hayward will be your 2nd best player this year. Or even the 3rd best player on that team.

I like Baynes, he's a fair role player.

That said: it was a cute boost that he hit some 3's in the playoffs, but by no means do the C's have to count on that in order to be special.

Only time will tell on these points... really no point in hunkering down and arguing about it. Should be a fun season... :suds:

Of course the Celtics don't need Baynes to hit 3s to be very good. That was something that affected their performance in the playoffs last season.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be cautiously optimistic if I were you.

Things might be changing for the Kings in the next year or so.
All my optimism about the Kings is cautious.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if they won a single championship after a good but not spectacular season, perhaps that would be a valid comparison. But given they have been to 4 straight finals, won 3, and have one of the greatest win totals over a 4 year span in NBA history.
My point wasn't that the C's and GS are equivalent... my point was that if GS can be dissected and criticized in such fashion, anyone can be dissected and criticized.
flyerhawk said:
Both of those points are valid although I'm not sure if Hayward will be your 2nd best player this year. Or even the 3rd best player on that team.
I don't disagree with you here.
flyerhawk said:
Of course the Celtics don't need Baynes to hit 3s to be very good. That was something that affected their performance in the playoffs last season.
Ok.. fair enough.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just pre-season but Bagley looks good.

1st game was meh but he played well vs the Lakers.
Fox and Buddy played well too and Giles showed off some skills including a great touch pass. The group of players the Kings have can become a good core for the future but it'll take some time.

Reactions: DJ

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking specifically about this year and how far they can go.

The Cavs had Love and Tristan Thompson, although we tend to forget that given how he played last year.
and i mean- not that he is that good or anything- but even a guy like Channing Frye brings value. A crafty vet that can shoot a 3, has a ton of playoff experience and can play the 5 for 20 minutes a game.

The Lakers have a rookie in Kuzma who is promising but is far to undersized to play the 5, they have McGee who is a nutjob and one of the least cerebral player in the league, a finesse rookie big man in Wagner.

In one of the articles I read they were like- why didnt the Lakers just bring back Lopez for the miniscule amount of money he ended up getting? a real big man that knows how to play the game, is a crafty vet, has some toughness and would be a presence- even if he just played 20 minutes a game.

Kuzma, McGee, Wagner, Zubac---- there is not one veteran there that has big time playoff experience or toughness ---- i remember even the Celtics back in 07 had a guy like PJ Brown who just knew the game and brought some toughness--- kind of like Jefferson did for the Cavs at the 3 for a couple years.

If I was the Lakers that what I would focus on either at the trade or buyout deadline- a tough, physical big man that is a vet and knows how to play the game and has some playoff experience.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fox and Buddy played well too and Giles showed off some skills including a great touch pass. The group of players the Kings have can become a good core for the future but it'll take some time.
I think Fox is going ot be come one of my favorite non-Cavs in the league.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fox is going ot be come one of my favorite non-Cavs in the league.
If the 3pt shot he showed last night can become consistent, he'll be tough to stop.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True.

Big for Giles with all he's been through.