• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 NBA offseason

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think LeBron set himself up to fail more than I ever possibly could. lol.
I'll bite.

How so?

Dude, LeBron, Magic, any Lakers fan with half a brain....

Knows he's not winning a Championship this Season with the Lakers , as currently constructed, without several injuries to the teams ahead of them.

Say what you will....

But, what is the difference between getting SMOKED by the Warriors in the Finals or getting SMOKED by the Warriors a round earlier?

The difference is he can suffer in luxury while cultivating his off court interests and providing his family with a better quality of life.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that would be ideal for me- if LeBron won the MVP but then lost in the first round.

ID like LeBron to finish as the GOAT and he will go into the Hall as a Cav.

I could see that happening. And I don't think it's even a question LeBron will go into the Hall as a Cav.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bite.

How so?

Knows he's not winning a Championship this Season with the Lakers , as currently constructed, without several injuries to the teams ahead of them.

Say what you will....

But, what is the difference between getting SMOKED by the Warriors in the Finals or getting SMOKED by the Warriors a round earlier?

The difference is he can suffer in luxury while cultivating his off court interests and providing his family with a better quality of life.
i mean- what we had previously discussed with the Cavs--- and the fact that he could have contended for a title if he picked the Rockets or Sixers.

LeBron went to LA pretty much knowing - that unless they made some huge move for a Kawhi- that its highly unlikely he makes it to the WCF, let alone the Finals- and its questionable whether he will even make it out of the first round.

If a guy that has made it to 8 straight Finals and won 3 of them- and has multiple options to continue to contend- and picks practically the one place that he knows its highly unlikely he can do that- its not on anyone but him.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll bite.

How so?

Say what you will....

wiggy made a statue of LeBron out of macaroni shells when he returned to Cleveland but destroyed it when he went to LA-LA Land.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cedi Osman is ready for his close-up -- the opportunity he's been dreaming about for years

"When I was in Summer League in Vegas I met with Bron (LeBron James) and was having a dinner," Osman said. "He offered me to practice with him. What do you expect me to say? I said, 'Of course, that would be perfect.' After that I went back to Turkey, had a little vacation for two weeks and then to New York for the rookie transition program and then went back to LA to meet with LeBron and to work out with him.

"First day we worked out together and then the next day he said we were going to work out with KD (Kevin Durant) and Kawhi (Leonard). I was like so excited and said, 'Wow, three best small forwards in the world and I'm going to have an opportunity to learn from them and work out with them.' That's something I will not forget ever. Because always watching them on the TV when I was a kid or playing the games with them and then one time practicing with them so it was an amazing feeling."

James already knows what Osman can do. James took Osman under his wing last season and invited him to be part of his post-practice shooting group. James repeatedly spoke about an appreciation for Osman's work ethic and high basketball IQ.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean- what we had previously discussed with the Cavs--- and the fact that he could have contended for a title if he picked the Rockets or Sixers.

LeBron went to LA pretty much knowing - that unless they made some huge move for a Kawhi- that its highly unlikely he makes it to the WCF, let alone the Finals- and its questionable whether he will even make it out of the first round.

If a guy that has made it to 8 straight Finals and won 3 of them- and has multiple options to continue to contend- and picks practically the one place that he knows its highly unlikely he can do that- its not on anyone but him.

It also doesn't mean he's necessarily in a worse situation.

Clearly, the Lakers aren't going to the finals this year. Lebron could play all 82 regular season games, all the playoff games and put together the best season of his career statistically...and the Lakers still aren't making it to the finals.

However, they have a promising young core that Lebron seems to like and they will have the cap space to add another top level FA next year.

I can see where this season would be almost like a vacation to Lebron. This will be the first season in what? 10 years? That there won't be pressure on him to get to the finals.

He gets a season to help mentor the kids, see what moves the Lakers may need to make after the season and try to recruit another top FA to join him for next year when the pressure to get to the finals will be on him again.

Also, it has the potential to seriously give him a couple of arguments for the GOAT debate that no one else in that conversation has.

Imagine if he were to get an MVP and title with a 3rd different team and restoring a storied franchise while he does it. Who else would have that on their resume?

He would also get some credit for not moving to a "stacked team" to do it.

Considering the Lakers youth, he may even be able to not only get himself another ring while he is still the best player in the NBA, but also to grab another ring or 2 when he eventually isn't the best player in the NBA, but still pretty damn good.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude, he didn't have a legit path to the Rockets, sans taking the mid level.

Philly?

Sure.

That would have put him back in the Finals....

Where he'd lose to the Warriors.

If he's going to lose, may as well be on his own terms.

Listen, you are a young man. So, it's hard to see this from the perspective of someone who is closer to the end of their career.

My husband loved being a narco. He loved the rip and run, the excitement and never wanted to be a paper pusher.

But, his prospects for advancement were limited if he wanted to stay at that station.

He didn't care because he loved it.

Fast forward 10 years. He knows he wants to retire in 5 years. But, the gap in pay between a Detective and a Lt was substantial.

So, he put what he wanted to the side and took the Sgt's test.

Got promoted first band. Spent 2 years as a Sgt and then got promoted to LT.

2 years later, he retired with a 35 % pay increase than he would have had he remained a narco.

Sometimes people's priorities change and they do what's best for their families in the long-term.

I suspect that was a factor for LeBron picking Los Angeles too.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, he didn't have a legit path to the Rockets, sans taking the mid level.

Philly?

Sure.

That would have put him back in the Finals....

Where he'd lose to the Warriors.

If he's going to lose, may as well be on his own terms.

Listen, you are a young man. So, it's hard to see this from the perspective of someone who is closer to the end of their career.

My husband loved being a narco. He loved the rip and run, the excitement and never wanted to be a paper pusher.

But, his prospects for advancement were limited if he wanted to stay at that station.

He didn't care because he loved it.

Fast forward 10 years. He knows he wants to retire in 5 years. But, the gap in pay between a Detective and a Lt was substantial.

So, he put what he wanted to the side and took the Sgt's test.

Got promoted first band. Spent 2 years as a Sgt and then got promoted to LT.

2 years later, he retired with a 35 % pay increase than he would have had he remained a narco.

Sometimes people's priorities change and they do what's best for their families in the long-term.

I suspect that was a factor for LeBron picking Los Angeles too.
Mecca

if he wanted to be a Rocket he would be a Rocket. If he wanted to be a Sixer he would be a Sixer.

IF he wanted to play for the Guangdong Panda's he would be in a black and white uniform filming commercials in Chineese right now.

You asked me what LEBron did to set himself up to fail.

I told you that he picked a situation out of 3-4 very reasonable situations that afforded him the least best chance of competing this year.

As for his family and business interests- i do not doubt that the Lakers were his preferred destination when it came to those considerations and he has every right to make that decision.

But whne it comes to actually winning- he picked the Lakers over teams that could have given him a legit shot to topple the Warriors this year.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for the season to start. Don't know why though, it's the Warriors & everyone else. But it'll be nice to see what the Celtics look like healthy.

Kawhi's saying all the right things now. Let's see what he thinks of Toronto once winter hits.

JR Smith could be the difference for a team winning a title.

Carmelo will be the reason the Rockets don't return to the WCF. He's a fucking jinx.

If Klowhee gives Tristan his balls back he might average a double-double.

The rest of LeBron's hair will fall out from stress trying to teach his young teammates how to win.

Papa Ball will do or say something stupid before the season starts. He's way overdue.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecca

if he wanted to be a Rocket he would be a Rocket. If he wanted to be a Sixer he would be a Sixer.

IF he wanted to play for the Guangdong Panda's he would be in a black and white uniform filming commercials in Chineese right now.

I told you that he picked a situation out of 3-4 very reasonable situations that afforded him the least best chance of competing this year.

As for his family and business interests- i do not doubt that the Lakers were his preferred destination when it came to those considerations and he has every right to make that decision.

But whne it comes to actually winning- he picked the Lakers over teams that could have given him a legit shot to topple the Warriors this year.
The problem here is you trying to decide what constitutes failure for him.

Imo....losing in the Finals, losing in the conference finals is still losing.

Obviously, more Championships immediately was not his #1 priority.

But, he went to a team with the ability to add another star.

Plus, he put his Son and wife's wants and needs first.

He's winning in life. Basketball is just a game.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecca

Reading yours and @Mecca posts, got me wondering about another motivation for him as well.

When he went to the Heat, he took a lot of criticism for going to a "stacked team". Heck, people were wanting to put an asterisk next to the titles he won with the Heat because of it.

When he returned to the Cavs, with the emergence of Kyrie and the trade for Kevin Love, he was once again criticized for going to a stacked team.

While the Lakers do have a promising young core, the one thing that can't be said is that he went to a stacked team.

I wonder if that played into his decision at all?

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading yours and @Mecca posts, got me wondering about another motivation for him as well.

When he went to the Heat, he took a lot of criticism for going to a "stacked team". Heck, people were wanting to put an asterisk next to the titles he won with the Heat because of it.

When he returned to the Cavs, with the emergence of Kyrie and the trade for Kevin Love, he was once again criticized for going to a stacked team.

While the Lakers do have a promising young core, the one thing that can't be said is that he went to a stacked team.

I wonder if that played into his decision at all?
Yeah, I said this about Jimmy Butler's trade list.

It's the anti-Durant move.

But, what it actually highlights, for me anyway, is that people will criticize you no matter what path you choose.

So, might as well take the one that makes you the happiest.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem here is you trying to decide what constitutes failure for him.

Imo....losing in the Finals, losing in the conference finals is still losing.

Obviously, more Championships immediately was not his #1 priority.

But, he went to a team with the ability to add another star.

Plus, he put his Son and wife's wants and needs first.

He's winning in life. Basketball is just a game.

About the only reason I'm glad LeBron went to the Lakers is his son. It would have been next to impossible for him to be his own person/player had he followed in his father's footsteps & played @ St. Vincent's / St. Mary's. I mean the comparisons will be there anyway but I think it would have been 100 time worse in NE Ohio.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even sure where he is getting these #'s from. The 2015-2016 Cavs were better defensively than what he said.

The DEF EFF rating for the 2015-2016 season was 102.3 which was top 10 in the league

I saw that. Was thinking maybe that was their rating for the playoffs?