• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Rich Paul made the AD trade request public and attached the Lakers name to it, ego's/pride got involved on the Pelicans end.

It's embarrassing enough when one of the best players in the game tells you they want out. But it's even worse when they hurt what you can get for them by trying to force their way to a specific team on top of it.

Especially when that team is the Lakers, whom no one is particularly interested in helping.

The Pels are going to have to rebuild, so they should be looking to get the deal that best facilitates that.

If the best offer comes from the Lakers,and they are smart, they will swallow their pride and take it. Especially since they got their "revenge" by leaving the Lakers with egg on their face and got to watch their season implode.

On the other hand, there is a reason that the Pels have had players like CP3 and AD and never been able to be anything but a 2nd round playoff exit.

So, who knows what they'll do? :noidea:
sounds like they are going down the path of having nothing to do with the Lakers, but we shall see.

at this point it would surprise me if they did considering what has come out, their bitterness, Ingrams ehalth issues, Ball's injury issues and that they might be able to get better deals from a number of other teams.

I mean, SGA and Shamet and a few first rounders from the Clips doesnt look bad at this point - and it would have the added satisfaction to really fuck the Lakers over for the Pelicans.

Who knows with Ingram though- maybe they were just looking for an excuse to shut him down and try and rest him and get more ping pong balls in the hopper. I am always skeptical of that kind of thing at this point in the year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie was better across the board. I was talking about Lonzo when I said shooting from distance. Kyrie was 19 his rookie year, Sexton is 20. Kyrie became an all-star in his 2nd season, when he was 20.
Kyrie and Sexton both started rookie seasons at 19 and turned 20. I don't think sexton is an all star at 20, but neither made it at same age as rookies.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mostly agree but it sounds like thats exactly what is going on- that they have no intention of even engaging with the Lakers after trying to be strong armed by Rich Paul, Magic, LeBron -whoever.

From what's been reported out here, it's looking more and more like a combo platter of Rich Paul/Lebron trying to force the Pels hand and Magic and Pelinka not being experienced enough to know how to squash it.

Jeanie contemplating signing Lebron may be her way of letting them know that the Lakers don't operate that way.

Jeanie is said to be looking to run the Lakers like Dr. Buss did.

Dr. Buss traded Shaq because Shaq made his contract negotiations/demands public. So, Lebron and Rich Paul should know that if the Lakers will trade Shaq, they'll trade Lebron. After all, Shaq had won 3 titles with them, Lebron hasn't won anything with them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see them trading Lebron after 1 bad season that can be blamed mainly on injuries.

But if Lebron and Rich Paul try something like that again, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lakers look to move him.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Harden has scored 2307 points this season. This is wild because: 1) Nobody else has more than 1800 2) LeBron James, who played in all 82, led the league last year with 2251 3) Harden is on pace to become the 6th player in history to score at least 2800 points in a season

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyrie was better across the board. I was talking about Lonzo when I said shooting from distance. Kyrie was 19 his rookie year, Sexton is 20. Kyrie became an all-star in his 2nd season, when he was 20.
well Sexton just turned 20 in January. Kyrie turned 20 in March of his rookie year

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Harden has scored 2307 points this season. This is wild because: 1) Nobody else has more than 1800 2) LeBron James, who played in all 82, led the league last year with 2251 3) Harden is on pace to become the 6th player in history to score at least 2800 points in a season

Meh, the new rules have made defense impossible .
I am personally treating scoring numbers the way I look at rebounding numbers from the 1960s.

Someone who scored 17/game in 2006.....looks better to me than someone who scores 23/game in 2019.
This is an era adjusted scoring binge.

Those Suns teams only scored about 107/game in their seven seconds or less heyday turbo offense.
Today, the most inept helpless worst offensive teams in the league puts up 105/game.

And it happened overnight, there was not a gradual increase.
The rules were simply changed and it exploded.

I imagine if it gets any more cartoonish, the NBA will go back to more defensive favorable rules to slow it down.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sounds like they are going down the path of having nothing to do with the Lakers, but we shall see.

at this point it would surprise me if they did considering what has come out, their bitterness, Ingrams ehalth issues, Ball's injury issues and that they might be able to get better deals from a number of other teams.

I mean, SGA and Shamet and a few first rounders from the Clips doesnt look bad at this point - and it would have the added satisfaction to really fuck the Lakers over for the Pelicans.

Who knows with Ingram though- maybe they were just looking for an excuse to shut him down and try and rest him and get more ping pong balls in the hopper. I am always skeptical of that kind of thing at this point in the year.

Yeah, it's hard to say. The timing is interesting, especially with a "minutes restriction" on Lebron and that they are considering sitting him in the 2nd game of back to backs.

Apparently, Lonzo has a Grade 3 ankle sprain, which can take a few months to recover from. Assuming it's really a Grade 3, that may actually be legit.

On the other hand, I also remember that, a couple of weeks ago they said "bone bruise" which also is a longer healing time, but not so long that he shouldn't at least be back to practicing with the team. So, who knows.

With Ingram's blood clot. He may not have needed to be shut down for the season, but the Lakers may have decided it wasn't worth having him in and out of the lineup ala Chris Bosh. Especially with the playoffs looking more and more unlikely at the time he was diagnosed. Gives them the rest of the season and off-season to figure out what is going on.

The better the draft pick, the better the offers they can make in a trade.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, the new rules have made defense impossible .
I am personally treating scoring numbers the way I look at rebounding numbers from the 1960s.

Someone who scored 17/game in 2006.....looks better to me than someone who scores 23/game in 2019.
This is an era adjusted scoring binge.

Those Suns teams only scored about 107/game in their seven seconds or less heyday turbo offense.
Today, the most inept helpless worst offensive teams in the league puts up 105/game.

And it happened overnight, there was not a gradual increase.
The rules were simply changed and it exploded.

I imagine if it gets any more cartoonish, the NBA will go back to more defensive favorable rules to slow it down.

I agree...though to an extent. To me the rules have only a slight impact on the scoring average increase. There are multiple factors that have added to it.

The emphasis of the 3 ball has skyrocketed points per game averages across the league as well. Role players are averaging more points than ever because of simply being able to knock down the 3.

Pace of play has increased leading to more offensive possesions per team, per game. That's a huge factor as well in getting more shot opportunities.

The development of "skilled" bigs who can shoot the ball and do multiple things on the court has changed the way teams are able to play defense these days. The paint is rarely clogged these days, which results in more open driving lanes.

The rules do favor the offensive player tremendously, but defensive schemes are also way better than in previous generations as well. Everything is much more sophisticated both on offense and defense.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the Clippers had to do was mss the playoffs.

But, noooooo...lol
With the Lakers falling apart due to injuries the Kings would have been in great position to make the playoffs had the Clippers fallen off/tanked to keep their pick, unfortunately they still have Doc, Lou Williams, and Montrezl.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that's what you implied by your comment. It was a post of the year worthy comment by you.

No I never implied anything. You said that nonsense because I would want Klay over Love. And I said repeatedly (which you choose to ignore) that I was only talking about those 2 players & no others.

Seriously why is that so hard for you to comprehend?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's hard to say. The timing is interesting, especially with a "minutes restriction" on Lebron and that they are considering sitting him in the 2nd game of back to backs.

Apparently, Lonzo has a Grade 3 ankle sprain, which can take a few months to recover from. Assuming it's really a Grade 3, that may actually be legit.

On the other hand, I also remember that, a couple of weeks ago they said "bone bruise" which also is a longer healing time, but not so long that he shouldn't at least be back to practicing with the team. So, who knows.

With Ingram's blood clot. He may not have needed to be shut down for the season, but the Lakers may have decided it wasn't worth having him in and out of the lineup ala Chris Bosh. Especially with the playoffs looking more and more unlikely at the time he was diagnosed. Gives them the rest of the season and off-season to figure out what is going on.

The better the draft pick, the better the offers they can make in a trade.
In a DFS tonight, would you prefer Rondo or Caruso at half the price?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I never implied anything. You said that nonsense because I would want Klay over Love. And I said repeatedly (which you choose to ignore) that I was only talking about those 2 players & no others.

Because you made the comment that implied otherwise. But I know you can't admit your gaffe so no worries.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In comparing Love and Klay, if memory serves, you said something like "Between a great shooter and a big guy who is a decent shooter I'll always take the great shooter"

This logic means you'd take Klay (the great shooter) over AD (the big guy who is a decent shooter).

Lie, dance, deflect, tell me you only meant Love (which you didn't)......it was a fail by you.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In comparing Love and Klay, if memory serves, you said something like "Between a great shooter and a big guy who is a decent shooter I'll always take the great shooter"

This logic means you'd take Klay (the great shooter) over AD (the big guy who is a decent shooter).

Lie, dance, deflect, tell me you only meant Love (which you didn't)......it was a fail by you.
You choosing to die on this hill is kind of sad. Is it really so hard for you to parse what people mean?

I doubt you are actually on the autism spectrum but if you were, this is how you would argue with neurotypicals.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win for the Raptors last night sans Lowry and Ibaka. They have a possible Round 1 preview match this Sunday vs. Detroit.