• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO with 17 months left on his current deal they made a move way too early to try to force his way out of NO. Now you will have other GMs trying to strategize to help put up road blocks in his path to LA for at least the next season & a half. They should've just waited until this season was over & then asked for a trade. SMH

Yes and no. It's a bit of a Catch-22 for the Lakers.

The "AD sweepstakes" are expected to come down to the Lakers and Celtics.

After the season, the Celtics can beat the Lakers offer. Right now they can't.

So, doing it now, gives the Lakers an advantage. Because the Celtics can't even make an offer.

If this lasts to the off-season (which it should) then the advantage goes to the Celtics.

I'd expect that part of the reason this is happening now is that the Lakers learned from PG being upset that they didn't try hard enough to trade for him. AD won't be able to say that.

Unfortunately, the Pels don't seem interested in moving him now, so Rich Paul has to try to depress the market so they can hopefully get him in the off-season. Which then pisses off the rest of the league.

I will say though, that the rest of the league shouldn't be too pissed off. I mean, isn't it better to know that a guy won't re-sign with you before you trade away a bunch of valuable assets to get him? :noidea:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing else matters? Magic isn't allowed to try and change his mind?

That in the CBA?

Now why do you keep ignoring if they could have convinced him to stay in LA (should that be so tough) they could move Ingram and Hart to open up another max slot?

They value Ingram way more than they did Randle. That much is obvious. Randle has no clear role on this Lakers team with Lebron signed (and playing largely PF, if positions matter). He's not a post defender, doesn't spread the floor, and he would've been sharing minutes with Kuzma (and some at the 5). It sucks that they couldn't get any trade value out of Randle with the way things ended up, but he was 4th in priority among the prospects.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS
Which is why Rich Paul made that announcement now rather than waiting. But it also could end up turning more GMs off in the process. If I'm an owner this would terrify me & make me want to rethink signing guys to long term deals. What is the point if they're going to bully their way out of them?

What's funny is everyone was up in arms about KD leaving OKC - but compared to this circus he looks like an angel! At least he kept his mouth shut and played hard until his contract was FINISHED. SMH

Why is that better? That OKC got nothing in return for losing a top 3 player in the league?

I understand the anti-Laker sentiment, but this is getting exaggerated.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's there to match salary under cap rules, and comes off the books at the end of the season if they don't want to retain him. In trades with franchises expecting to be active in free agency, that's a plus.

New Orleans doesn't want to trade with LA regardless; they're butt-hurt and want to send AD East anyway. One more season and it will be up to AD where he signs.
Looks like that's what will happen.

Pelicans Owner Gayle Benson is enthusiastically carrying the small-market banner, pushing back on any planned superstar union of James and Davis in the NBA's glamour market.

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) on Twitter

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's there to match salary under cap rules, and comes off the books at the end of the season if they don't want to retain him. In trades with franchises expecting to be active in free agency, that's a plus.

New Orleans doesn't want to trade with LA regardless; they're butt-hurt and want to send AD East anyway. One more season and it will be up to AD where he signs.
And so acquiring KCP to later take advantage of his expiring contract is better than waiting for the summer to acquire A. better players from Bos B. Acquire picks???
With an expiring contract you would still have to FIND a player that wants to sign with your team. With a pick not so much.

If they're going to play the waiting game the better team to deal with is without a doubt Boston lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends what they give up---- depends what any team gives up really

I still think the Nuggets are intersting

Gary Harris, Michael Porter Jr., and some first rounders is a good base for a deal- go play with Jokic and Jamal Murray....

or as we said--- if the Knicks dealt Knox and their lotto pick theyd still have Porzinigis, a max salary slot and Davis....thats a helluva start to a team.

theres a lot of options out there- its going to be interesting.

You don't think the Pels will demand Zinger, lol?

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that better? That OKC got nothing in return for losing a top 3 player in the league?

I understand the anti-Laker sentiment, but this is getting exaggerated.
Well for starters, he HONORED his contract. You know, that thing all players sign that gets them paid?? lol

Second, it allowed OKC to be in the running to retain him. In the case with KD GS had more to offer so he left. My point is those are better business tactics.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pelicans Owner Gayle Benson is enthusiastically carrying the small-market banner, pushing back on any planned superstar union of James and Davis in the NBA's glamour market.

Does that small-market banner carry an asterisk referring to the Pels inability to build a winning team around AD in his 7 years with the team? Call it what you want, but star players aren't going to ride out their careers with one team without winning. 2 seasons over .500, 1 first round exit and 1 second round exit. They were a playoff team the season prior to drafting Davis.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that small-market banner carry an asterisk referring to the Pels inability to build a winning team around AD in his 7 years with the team? Call it what you want, but star players aren't going to ride out their careers with one team without winning. 2 seasons over .500, 1 first round exit and 1 second round exit. They were a playoff team the season prior to drafting Davis.
Who knows and who cares?

The bottom line is the Pelicans have a choice.

Bow to Rich Paul's machinations or don't.

We will find out on the 7th which way they choose to go.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes and no. It's a bit of a Catch-22 for the Lakers.

The "AD sweepstakes" are expected to come down to the Lakers and Celtics.

After the season, the Celtics can beat the Lakers offer. Right now they can't.

So, doing it now, gives the Lakers an advantage. Because the Celtics can't even make an offer.

If this lasts to the off-season (which it should) then the advantage goes to the Celtics.

I'd expect that part of the reason this is happening now is that the Lakers learned from PG being upset that they didn't try hard enough to trade for him. AD won't be able to say that.

Unfortunately, the Pels don't seem interested in moving him now, so Rich Paul has to try to depress the market so they can hopefully get him in the off-season. Which then pisses off the rest of the league.

I will say though, that the rest of the league shouldn't be too pissed off. I mean, isn't it better to know that a guy won't re-sign with you before you trade away a bunch of valuable assets to get him? :noidea:
Oh I completely agree but I also see both sides. Let me explain.

I get that the Lakers had to move NOW to have the best chance at grabbing him. But, I also see how that could've made things worse in the long term if NOLA doesn't take the bait.

I think the other side of this that no one has mentioned is that even if the Lakers get AD that doesn't necessarily put them in the same tier as GS. Not yet. They would need to do a little more work to have a solid team to compete against them. So, it could be viewed to others like all this is done for what? This only makes sure the Lakers are next line behind the Dubs but that the Dubs are still most likely to come out of the West. If I'm any of the other 13 teams in the West that doesn't sit well with me.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

theres zero reason to take a Lakers offer now and when the exact same offer or better will be on the table in a few months.

There is no downside to the Pels to wait- only upside.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
then how about they just sign 1 year deals like LeBron - instead of getting a ton of guaranteed money and then whining out of hteir contracts MORE THAN A FULL year before they are free agents?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS
Which is why Rich Paul made that announcement now rather than waiting. But it also could end up turning more GMs off in the process. If I'm an owner this would terrify me & make me want to rethink signing guys to long term deals. What is the point if they're going to bully their way out of them?

What's funny is everyone was up in arms about KD leaving OKC - but compared to this circus he looks like an angel! At least he kept his mouth shut and played hard until his contract was FINISHED. SMH
Davis falls into the Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler category of PRE AGENCY.

Durant didn't do that.

He and Hayward fulfilled their deals.

Both ways have pros and cons.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porzingis wants out of NY? I wouldn't be surprised if NY makes the move to get AD honestly. They have a lot of players, picks, etc. they can float N.O's way

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theres zero reason to take a Lakers offer now and when the exact same offer or better will be on the table in a few months.

There is no downside to the Pels to wait- only upside.
I know, that's why I'm Lmfao.

They can get this deal in July.

Holy Shit, Zingers asked for a trade.

Nola she be all over that...lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis falls into the Kawhi, Kyrie, Butler category of PRE AGENCY.

Durant didn't do that.

He and Hayward fulfilled their deals.

Both ways have pros and cons.
the cons being you look like a little bitch

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, that's why I'm Lmfao.

They can get this deal in July.

Holy Shit, Zingers asked for a trade.

Nola she be all over that...lol
i gotta think that zinger would stay in NY if they brought Davis there though dont you?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj just said the Lakers talked to the Pelicans.

May revisit before the deadline.

upload_2019-1-31_11-58-53.jpeg

Yeah, Cowherd just said the the Lakers have officially offered Lonzo, Kuz, Ingram, Zubac and a #1.

Still don't think it happens before the deadline.

I'd love to be wrong.

Things are going to be interesting though.

Reactions: LAD