• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is getting himself caught up in semantics.

I never mentioned free agency...lol

Contract extension.

My exact words!!!!
he is confusing the qualifying offer and RFA.

they happen in the same year

a rookie contract is for 4 years

after that- a team can decline to give a player a qulaifying offer-- thus making them an unrestricted free agent

if the team gives the player a qualifying offer,they become a restricted free agent that can sign an offer sheet that the original team ahs matching rights on.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally a gree with everything yo usaid

Ingram only has cost certainty for 1 more year and then will be an RFA and anything can happen at that point

If I was the Pleicans and traded for him- and some team gave him an offer sheet of like 4 years 72M i might not eve nwant to keep him.
Dear GAWD....

Thank you.

That was all I was saying.

If I'm NOLA, he couldn't be the centerpiece unless I believed he was a max level player.

No, they don't have to pay him this Summer.

Yes, they have the right to match the following year.

My point is: They will be backed into a corner to overpay a guy who might not be max worthy.

You don't trade a Unicorn for a guy that you may let walk in a Season because you don't want to overpay.

NOLA can't get near equal value unless they trade for the Freak, Durant or Embiid.

But, Ingram is way to little a return.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is confusing the qualifying offer and RFA.

they happen in the same year

a rookie contract is for 4 years

after that- a team can decline to give a player a qulaifying offer-- thus making them an unrestricted free agent

if the team gives the player a qualifying offer,they become a restricted free agent that can sign an offer sheet that the original team ahs matching rights on.
Speaking of QA.....

@CitySushi ...

Have you heard a peep about Mccaw?

Talk about shitting the bed and getting horrific advice.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean- i dont know anyone that things thee is even a .000001 chance that Davis is moved anytime soon. I would say that there is 0.0 % chance that he is moved before the offseason so the Kyrie thing is really irrelevant

I cant imagine under any circumstances sthat they would deal him before having the opportunity to offer him a supermax this offseason.

The only reason that I can think of would be if AD let them know that he's absolutely not re-signing with them under any circumstances and they don't want to prolong the inevitable.

Other than that, there really isn't a reason for them to not wait until the summer to move him when they can get better offers. At that point, it would be up to Klutch to poison the well enough to keep other offers down.

Even then, someone may still decide that 2 years worth of AD is better than none.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not him.

I'd pay Vuvecic instead.
Better rebounder and 3pt shooter, maybe isn't as good of a rim runner but I'd rather have him too. Just using Bagley as the center of the future might be the best option, with Giles/Bjelica/? at the 4. They'll need to spend money somewhere though, whether it's to get an all star caliber 3 or 4 to put into that lineup(preferred option) or trading for an expensive but useful player to fill those positions.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Klutch signing is meaningless.

But we have also learned that no matter how much a player indicates they won't resign long term, teams close to championship level are still willing to take that risk because:

1) banners fly forever
2) players change their minds (see Paul George)

Besides, like others have said, I don't think the Lakers best offer would be all that interesting to NO. Other teams like the Celtics will have better assets to give up. And I do think Ainge would be willing to risk it for a player of AD's caliber.

I agree.

Imo, for the Lakers to get AD it's going to take a lot of assets (obviously), some luck and a lot of noise from Klutch to drive down other offers.

I could definitely see a team that thinks AD could get them a title beating the Lakers offer. The problem imo, is that I don't know of a team besides the Celtics that could offer enough to beat the Lakers offer without giving up so much that they are no longer contenders.

As for players changing their mind. I agree that we saw PG do it and if I were to bet on it, I would bet that Kawhi will do the same. AD could very well do the same.

But that's where Klutch comes in. They will no doubt hard sell the Lakers to him. I doubt PG's agency did or that Kawhi's will (unless Kawhi's Uncle is Lavar Ball level obsessed with getting Kawhi to the Lakers lol).

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of QA.....

@CitySushi ...

Have you heard a peep about Mccaw?

Talk about shitting the bed and getting horrific advice.

Nope. Complete radio silence. About a month ago there was video of him playing pick up games back in St. Louis at a high school gym. Other than that, nothing.

Think his best course of action now is to go over to China and see if he can build himself back up there. It's going to be tough, because there are tons of guys there killing it that can't get a shot back here in the NBA.

He pretty much killed his NBA career. Next year he'll be 24 and that's when things are really supposed to start clicking for you in the NBA. I really can't imagine any team in the NBA giving him something other than a camp deal, but the Warriors still retain his rights as an RFA.

His best case scenario is that he tells the Warriors he took some horrible advice from his camp and let go of all of them. He asks them to sign him either to a 2 year minimum deal, with a team option the second year or he asks them simply to sign him to a camp deal.

Otherwise, dude is not going to set foot on an NBA court again.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can absolutely turn it around in the NFL when they are well managed.

But that has always been the issue for the Browns. Same as my Redskins. Even when you finally get a good personnel guy in there, shitty owners have a way of doing shitty things to impede growth and cripple the future of the organization.

So, Baker will probably lead the Browns to the playoffs at some point. Maybe even next year.

But I am betting against them ever being a champion for the same reason I bet against my Redskins. Crappy ownership.

Fair enough. To me Jimmy Haslam's the worst owner in the NFL. And maybe in all of American sports.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear GAWD....

Thank you.

If I'm NOLA, he couldn't be the centerpiece unless I believed he was a max level player.

My point is: They will be backed into a corner to overpay a guy who might not be max worthy.

You don't trade a Unicorn for a guy that you may let walk in a Season because you don't want to overpay.

NOLA can't get near equal value unless they trade for the Freak, Durant or Embiid.

LAkers will have an interesting decision next offseason on Ingram if someone gives him a significant offer sheet thats for sure.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear GAWD....

Thank you.

i totally agree

if the lakers had a porzingis or tatum or fox or something as a headliner- there might be a chance

ingram as a headliner is just not good. So many teams can trump that. Being 2 years AFTER this year out, DAvis has little leverage - plus he would have to give up a ton of money to leave as a UFA.

Shit- the Clippers can offer a way better package than can the Lakers.

and next year LeBron is going to be 35.

You give me my choice? Go play with Kyrie and Tatum or go play with a 35 year old LeBron and guys like Kuzma (who might even have eto be part of the package anyway) its a VERY VERY easy decision.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.

Imo, for the Lakers to get AD it's going to take a lot of assets (obviously), some luck and a lot of noise from Klutch to drive down other offers.

I could definitely see a team that thinks AD could get them a title beating the Lakers offer. The problem imo, is that I don't know of a team besides the Celtics that could offer enough to beat the Lakers offer without giving up so much that they are no longer contenders.

As for players changing their mind. I agree that we saw PG do it and if I were to bet on it, I would bet that Kawhi will do the same. AD could very well do the same.

But that's where Klutch comes in. They will no doubt hard sell the Lakers to him. I doubt PG's agency did or that Kawhi's will (unless Kawhi's Uncle is Lavar Ball level obsessed with getting Kawhi to the Lakers lol).
Klutch is definitely a factor.

AD doesn't come across as a weak minded kidnap victim.

But, we've also seen guys go against their agents at the 11th hour.

* See Deandre " Stockholm Syndrome " Jordan.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i totally agree

if the lakers had a porzingis or tatum or fox or something as a headliner- there might be a chance

ingram as a headliner is just not good. So many teams can trump that. Being 2 years AFTER this year out, DAvis has little leverage - plus he would have to give up a ton of money to leave as a UFA.

Shit- the Clippers can offer a way better package than can the Lakers.

and next year LeBron is going to be 35.

You give me my choice? Go play with Kyrie and Tatum or go play with a 35 year old LeBron and guys like Kuzma (who might even have eto be part of the package anyway) its a VERY VERY easy decision.
Celtics, yes.

Clippers, no.

He's not giving up a Supermax to come to LA to join Tobias Harris.

I'm a realist...lol.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. To me Jimmy Haslam's the worst owner in the NFL. And maybe in all of American sports.

Yeah. I hope for your sake I am wrong. But I have been there too many times with the Redskins. Get excited about the future only to get knocked back to reality by injuries, horrific roster decisions/cap management, etc.

Sure, teams rise and fall all the time. But the teams that are consistently on top are there because they are well managed. And that starts at the top.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I hope for your sake I am wrong. But I have been there too many times with the Redskins. Get excited about the future only to get knocked back to reality by injuries, horrific roster decisions/cap management, etc.

Sure, teams rise and fall all the time. But the teams that are consistently on top are there because they are well managed. And that starts at the top.

LMFAO, I'm a Chiefs fan. See our history...

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jimmy Haslam's my biggest fear for the Browns. That clown would fuck up a pot boiling water.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Haslam's my biggest fear for the Browns. That clown would fuck up a pot boiling water.
seems like he has given Dorsey autonomy though.

I mean- it was Dorsey that got rid of Gordon. After Haslem gave him chance after chance after chance Dorsey said enough is enough. Plenty of people criticized the move at the time and the fact that the Browns only got a 5th rounder for him.

But Dorsey was right.

If Dorsey was not here I am almost sure we would have Darnold and Chubb instead of Mayfield and Ward.

Dorsey was instrumental in taking Mahomes in KC and Baker in Cleveland. He knows what he is doing and the Haslem's have actually accepted the fact that they finally have a guy that should be given the reigns and it is making all the difference.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics, yes.

Clippers, no.

He's not giving up a Supermax to come to LA to join Tobias Harris.

I'm a realist...lol.
no i dont think so eitehr i was just saying the Clippers have better assets than the Lakers if you ask me

id rather have SGA with a few rookie years locked in instead of Ingram.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

just so you know

Baker is 5 TDs away from tying the rookie record set by Peyton Manning. This despite not getting even 1 first team rep in training camp and not staring the first 3 games of the season. At this point last year Mahomes was glued to the bench.

Mahomes has a much better supporting cast.

I would still probably take Mahomes over Baker long term- but there are not too many guys in the entirety of the NFL that I would trade Baker for. Honestly maybe MAhomes and thats it. Nothing is more valuable than a great rookie QB on a cheap deal. Baker is without a doubt one of the most valuable players in the entire NFL.

Redskins have not had a player like Baker in decades