• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong about Brooklyn and Miami.

That tiebreaker will be decided next week.

Currently Miami win that TB as they lead the season series 2-1. If Miami lose then BK would win that TB due to better conference record

Yep you're right my mistake

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total irrelevant without James.
Cavs play for right to most lotto balls every season when they have TT and Co. on the court.

Numbers?
How many are in total garbage time vs anything meaningful?

Has nothing to do with just TT, has everything to do with the team. We are talking about TT as a player.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Total irrelevant without James.
Cavs play for right to most lotto balls every season when they have TT and Co. on the court.

Numbers?
How many are in total garbage time vs anything meaningful?
Last couple times they played for most lotto balls it worked. No Lebron this time, but I'd prefer this to being the 6th-11th best team in the East.

And TT played a lot as a rookie and in year 2 in non-garbage time. Solid player, especially for a young guy. Something like 11.7 and 9 per.

Last edited:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes no sense is saying:

"It's like they were trying to be the next team to change the NBA."

with a roster that was filled out with a bunch of 1 year placeholders. They weren't looking to win a title with the additions of KCP, McGee, Rondo and Stephenson.

They knew they weren't going to be shooting the 3 very well, so they figured they better be able to defend it. Before the injuries hit, it was working since they were in the top 10 defensively and sitting in the 4 spot for the playoffs.

It was never going to win them a title or even make for deep playoff run, let alone make them "the next team that's going to change the NBA".

I may have exaggerated saying changing the NBA, but they know what Lebron succeeded with before coming to LA, even if they wouldn't contend or win it this year the moves make zero sense. And I truly don't believe they didn't believe they would contend. Most people had them getting a high seed or middle to high seed, so that is bs. Easy to say that now with the injuries, and all the other factors. The facts are there were guys available but they decided to take these specific players. Idiotic front management. Only one year thank God for the Lakers but this front office is in shambles.

But it does seem like they were so way off base with these moves they were trying something different and in retrospect it made no sense and total fail.

Laker fans better hope they use their brains in year 2 and so on or this is just going to be one long shitshow.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last couple times they played for most lotto balls it worked. No Lebron this time, but I'd prefer this to being the 6th-11th best team in the East.

I wouidn’t, year after year after year, but your entitled to your opinion.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has nothing to do with just TT, has everything to do with the team. We are talking about TT as a player.

Exactly.
My opinion is he fits in the category of a dime a dozen.
Def NBA talent, but nothing special.

#roleplayer

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And TT played a lot as a rookie and in year 2 in non-garbage time. Solid player, especially for a young guy. Something like 11.7 and 9 per.

Even if the Heat miss the playoffs, we’ve been playing playoff type games for a few weeks.

Its fun to watch.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have exaggerated saying changing the NBA, but they know what Lebron succeeded with before coming to LA, even if they wouldn't contend or win it this year the moves make zero sense. And I truly don't believe they didn't believe they would contend. Most people had them getting a high seed or middle to high seed, so that is bs. Easy to say that now with the injuries, and all the other factors. The facts are there were guys available but they decided to take these specific players. Idiotic front management. Only one year thank God for the Lakers but this front office is in shambles.

But it does seem like they were so way off base with these moves they were trying something different and in retrospect it made no sense and total fail.

Laker fans better hope they use their brains in year 2 and so on or this is just going to be one long shitshow.
In fact, they made it sound like "something different" was the plan all along.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Heat miss the playoffs, we’ve been playing playoff type games for a few weeks.

Its fun to watch.
I don't doubt it's fun, but at what expense? don't you want to be a legit contender again?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may have exaggerated saying changing the NBA, but they know what Lebron succeeded with before coming to LA, even if they wouldn't contend or win it this year the moves make zero sense. And I truly don't believe they didn't believe they would contend.

It's hilarious that you would even post this.

Plan A was to get 2 max level players and try to contend this season. When they didn't get a 2nd max level player, they switched to plan B, which was to sign 1 year placeholders to preserve cap space for this coming off-season.

Players who are available for 1 year deals for a team that isn't going to contend, aren't exactly the cream of the crop. I don't know who was available as far as perimeter players to fit around Lebron, but whoever may have been available, wasn't going to make any real difference.

And as far as knowing what Lebron has succeeded with...Lebron has succeeded with D-Wade, Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.

Who did the Lakers have that was at that level?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yah seriously- Magic freaked his shit after like 2 weeks on Walton. i mean gmafb.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.
My opinion is he fits in the category of a dime a dozen.
Def NBA talent, but nothing special.

#roleplayer

Ok...I still don't see your point he has always been a role player and most agree on that lol.

What is Whiteside then? A high quality player that plays low minutes when he can and has a huge contract?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, since Lebron came back here Riley has not been so great has he? Doubt Riley got bashed for losing Lebron like Gilbert did.

That said, I would not blame Riley for Lebron coming back. Probably similar to going to LA. Just wanted to be in Cleveland to get us a title. Also doubt he trusted Arison to spend.

Too bad you didn't find this site a few years ago. Then you'd understand my comment to him.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok...I still don't see your point he has always been a role player and most agree on that lol.

What is Whiteside then? A high quality player that plays low minutes when he can and has a huge contract?

Whiteside is the only player, ever, to go from a min to a max.
He also had multiple offers, which put the Heat in a position to have to make a quick decision.

Would the Heat do it again?
Prob not, but Whiteside has been fine.
He is what he is.
He never got lazy or any of the other things @WiggyRuss guaranteed.

Bam also was after the fact.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, since Lebron came back here Riley has not been so great has he? Doubt Riley got bashed for losing Lebron like Gilbert did.

That said, I would not blame Riley for Lebron coming back. Probably similar to going to LA. Just wanted to be in Cleveland to get us a title. Also doubt he trusted Arison to spend.

You have to look at the differences between the Miami situation and the one in Cleveland.

Even with Lebron gone, the Heat were still in position to compete because they still had D-Wade and Bosh. Many were predicting a Heat/Cavs ECF.

They couldn't add another max level FA because they were capped out. But, because they still had Bosh and D-Wade, they were in position to still contend. Bosh's blood clot issues ruined that chance though. They were still capped out because Bosh's contract still counted against the cap, even after it was obvious that his career was over.

They really couldn't even try to trade D-Wade to start a rebuild for at least the first couple of seasons after Lebron left because there was still the possibility that Bosh could return.

When Lebron left Cleveland, they were able to start tanking immediately because they didn't have any players left that could be competitive.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to look at the differences between the Miami situation and the one in Cleveland.

Even with Lebron gone, the Heat were still in position to compete because they still had D-Wade and Bosh. Many were predicting a Heat/Cavs ECF.

They couldn't add another max level FA because they were capped out. But, because they still had Bosh and D-Wade, they were in position to still contend. Bosh's blood clot issues ruined that chance though. They were still capped out because Bosh's contract still counted against the cap, even after it was obvious that his career was over.

They really couldn't even try to trade D-Wade to start a rebuild for at least the first couple of seasons after Lebron left because there was still the possibility that Bosh could return.

When Lebron left Cleveland, they were able to start tanking immediately because they didn't have any players left that could be competitive.
All true, but not sure I implied Miami needed to tank back then.....or could have.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true, but not sure I implied Miami needed to tank back then.....or could have.
My problem with Riley is that he gave a ton of mediocre players a ton of long term shitty contracts.

I mean, Whiteside/Olnyk/Bam/Johnson is costing them like 60M a year and its not even a good front court. Its decent, but expensive and certainly not good. and that does not even count Andersons 20M

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whiteside is the only player, ever, to go from a min to a max.
He also had multiple offers, which put the Heat in a position to have to make a quick decision.

Would the Heat do it again?
Prob not, but Whiteside has been fine.
He is what he is.
He never got lazy or any of the other things @WiggyRuss guaranteed.

Bam also was after the fact.
prob not?

lol cmon.

thats like saying, ya know, i stuck my dick in a blender and if i had to do it over again i probably would decide not to.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is some basketball:

D3PsOTOWsAAsOTy.jpg:large

Other than this from @HowardBeck, things are going great for the Lakers

Old news. Next?