• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

Those super long deals are flat out stupid.

I really hope baseball addresses this in the next collective bargaining session.
Yes...max deals need to be part of the next CBA (in years and amt.)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I would say have the teams give up a year of team control but utilize restricted free agency and address the contract length issue and also perhaps the compensation pick setup. I think a lot of players go unsigned because teams don't want to give up picks for them. Basically balance the thing out a little better there is no reason Bryce should get 13 years and there is no reason Craig Kimbrel is unemployed right now or guys are get low balled who are in the mid tier of the league because no one is spending on them.
I agree....though I think Harper made a mistake if maximizing income was his goal. If LA truly offered 4 years and $180 mil, unless he feels like he'll regress by age 30 why not sign that deal? If he is close to what he is he could expect no less than a 6 yr, $180 mil deal next time. 10 years and $360 mil as opposed to 13 and $330.

Plus, he doesn't lock himself in if he is not happy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best news ever!

Well, not quite.

If you told me it was a package deal with John wall's contract that would be the best news ever.

But I'll take it!

Sadly, I would say the Wiz will be getting rid of that Wall contract in about 5 years.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah.

Those super long deals are flat out stupid.

I really hope baseball addresses this in the next collective bargaining session.

Yeah, I wasn't particularly a fan of the Dodgers pursuing Harper because I think he's overrated, but when I heard the length of contract he wanted, I knew he wasn't coming to the Dodgers. They don't seem at all interested in giving anyone more than about 5 years.

The only guy I'd want them to consider giving a longer contract to is Mike Trout and I still wouldn't like it. But I don't have to worry about it since the Angels locked him up until he's 75 years old. lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The Blue Jays did that once too.
Not really. The Jays' offence was still good in 94 before the strike hit but the pitching fell off hard.

Then Gillick left for Baltimore, the roster in 95 was basically the same as two years before, the local company that owned the team was bought out by Interbrew of Belgium who were as interested in baseball as any other Belgian and everything just kind of fell apart from there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The Jays' offence was still good in 94 before the strike hit but the pitching fell off hard.

Then Gillick left for Baltimore, the roster in 95 was basically the same as two years before, the local company that owned the team was bought out by Interbrew of Belgium who were as interested in baseball as any other Belgian and everything just kind of fell apart from there.

Oh okay. I thought they ramped up their payroll to get a World Series and then had a fire sale. Sounds like they were trying to remain competitive though. At least until the company that owned them got bought out.

Thanks for the correction.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the contrary. We don't even spend the money on a contender, and once we start hitting the league average, we immediately start a fire sale.

Got a couple rings though, so whatever they were doing was working pretty well.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I wasn't particularly a fan of the Dodgers pursuing Harper because I think he's overrated, but when I heard the length of contract he wanted, I knew he wasn't coming to the Dodgers. They don't seem at all interested in giving anyone more than about 5 years.

The only guy I'd want them to consider giving a longer contract to is Mike Trout and I still wouldn't like it. But I don't have to worry about it since the Angels locked him up until he's 75 years old. lol
Just mentioned earlier I think he should have taken the 4 years and $180 mil from LA if it was offered

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, I would say the Wiz will be getting rid of that Wall contract in about 5 years.

Well, Grunfield would have extended him to another full max at first opportunity, so at least we don't have to worry about that anymore.

I can see it now:

Ernie:

"I hear players coming off Achilles injuries really hit their stride about 5
Years after. Better lock up wall before the rest of the league gets wise to it!"

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just mentioned earlier I think he should have taken the 4 years and $180 mil from LA if it was offered

That's what I thought too. It was more money per year, but I guess the length of the contract was more important to him.

He better hope it doesn't turn into A-Rod with the Rangers though.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Thunder are a double digit favorite over the lakers tonight. This should go well. :peep:

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought too. It was more money per year, but I guess the length of the contract was more important to him.

He better hope it doesn't turn into A-Rod with the Rangers though.
I think his agent played a huge role. Obviously he gets more and wanted to be able to say he got the longest deal for a client...even though it was broken by Trout.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh okay. I thought they ramped up their payroll to get a World Series and then had a fire sale. Sounds like they were trying to remain competitive though. At least until the company that owned them got bought out.

Thanks for the correction.
You're still kind of right - they did spend a lot more from 91-93 than they had before, but they were overall pretty competitive from the mid-80s through to the 93 WS. They won the AL East 3 times from 85 to 91 (and would've won it in 87 had they not utterly fucking blown it down the stretch and serve the division on a platter to the Tigers).

They just spent like crazy to finally get over the hump and then everything went to hell by chance more than design (like the Marlins).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have Alex Caruso. He OWNS Westbrick. lol
Hope so...might use him in a fanduel lineup. tough night. Not sure if Hawks have any front court players besides Len. Looks like all games could be blowouts.