• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the draft profiles for each, Flynn was actually rated above Curry by a few points. Curry led in jump shooting of course, but that was about it.

Jonny Flynn | NBADraft.net

Stephen Curry | NBADraft.net

Yeah, but based on what the Warriors said about Curry, their scouting department thought he would be long gone by the time they were on the board at 7. He was never getting to the Knicks unless they traded up. So there's some discrepancy between the valuation of Flynn and Curry pre-draft.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they would have wanted to pair Rubio - great defender/distributor with a great scorer/shooter Curry. Flynn couldn't shoot so if the plan was to put Rubio at PG, why would you put Flynn at SG when he can't shoot and is very undersized. Easy to look back at now but still the fit wasn't there imo

No, I think the Flynn pick was a panic move to cover them in case Rubio didn't come over (and/or if Rubio needed time to adjust to the NBA). Flynn is tiny for a SG (6').

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but based on what the Warriors said about Curry, their scouting department thought he would be long gone by the time they were on the board at 7. He was never getting to the Knicks unless they traded up. So there's some discrepancy between the valuation of Flynn and Curry pre-draft.

Of course, I was just providing an example that Curry was not the landslide obvious pick that should've gone much earlier at the time of the draft.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We should do a re-draft for a couple teams and then build the roster minus offseason moves, just strictly the draft. Hard to predict what teams would get what spots if you take better players though. Could be fun. Go back to like 2010 or 2011

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Lakers wasted Year 1 of LeBron

this from McMenamin's article on the articles--- not that I am a huge zubac fan- in quite- the opposite- but i found this amusing:

When Zubac finally got meaningful minutes, he averaged 17.7 points and 8.7 rebounds, including an 18-point, 11-board effort on Christmas Day.

Zubac -- drafted as a raw 7-1, 240-pound center in the second round in 2016 -- had turned himself into a viable prospect under Walton.

And then, at the trade deadline, that prospect was gone. The Lakers sent Zubacand Beasley to the L.A. Clippers for Mike Muscala, primarily to clear a roster spot for a potential playoff push.

The Lakers had visions of signing a shooter such as Wayne Ellington, or another big man such as DeAndre Jordan or Enes Kanter, or possibly even signing Carmelo Anthony.

None of those things happened.

Giving up Zubac to add an impactful player to the roster would have been a necessary cost. Trading a promising player to free Beasley's spot -- who the Lakers could've simply cut -- for Muscala, who shot 20.8 percent from 3 in his first 11 games with L.A., was a self-inflicted wound.

Shortly after the trade deadline, Clippers consultant Jerry West -- who spent more than 40 years with the Lakers as a player, coach and executive -- got together for dinner with old friends who also had former Laker ties, sources said. He couldn't believe how Zubac fell into his lap. The Clippers, sources said, never even called the Lakers to inquire about Zubac. The Lakers made the offer and the Clippers gladly accepted.

Sources said those at the dinner table shared a hearty laugh at the Lakers' expense.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those misses on the Lakers' opening night at the Moda Center never seemed to stop -- the Lakers ranked last in the league at making wide-open 3s, defined as the closest defender being more than 6 feet away, as the final couple weeks of the season approached.

to the people htat said the Lakers had enough 3 pt shooting- you were wrong.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard that Gilbert wanted Oladipo but our former GM who is no longer a GM (allegedly being gone the reason Lebron left) said he helped persuade Grant to take Bennett.
If this is true, it pretty much negates most of the credit I gave him as a GM.

Horrible pick.

Might be wishful thinking on my part.

BUT, I think Bennett is a worse pick than Brown and The Khandi man.

At least those guys were able to stay in the league a few years.

Bennett barely made it 2 before he washed out.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those misses on the Lakers' opening night at the Moda Center never seemed to stop -- the Lakers ranked last in the league at making wide-open 3s, defined as the closest defender being more than 6 feet away, as the final couple weeks of the season approached.

to the people htat said the Lakers had enough 3 pt shooting- you were wrong.
So, basically Magic Johnson and @DJ?

Love Senor Rox-a-lot.

But, he's the only one that was on here crowing about the Lakers improving from 29th in the League to 27th....lol

Nobody.

And I mean, NOBODY!!!!

Was buying that shit he was selling.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough
Frankly the guy who took 3 PGs for Minnesota in the same draft before Curry got drafted is the real hero here
Johnny fucking Flynn.

Like, I can forgive him for Rubio.

Because, if I remember correctly, he had that Luka Doncic buzz pre draft.

But.....

Johnny fucking Flynn?

:crazy:

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, but if he was "tired of losing" why not commit earlier to give them a better chance to win? Did you notice what happened when he came back and was committed?

That said, he probably was the guy who made other FAs think it's OK to take less and play where they want.
Lol what are you talking about committed earlier? He was on his rookie deal the first time around in Cle. I think we all know that he left the first time because he couldn't get anyone to go to Cle.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,414.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, basically Magic Johnson and @DJ?

Love Senor Rox-a-lot.

But, he's the only one that was on here crowing about the Lakers improving from 29th in the League to 27th....lol

Nobody.

And I mean, NOBODY!!!!

Was buying that shit he was selling.

#Timedidntvindicatemethistime

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny fucking Flynn.

Like, I can forgive him for Rubio.

Because, if I remember correctly, he had that Luka Doncic buzz pre draft.

But.....

Johnny fucking Flynn?

:crazy:

Damn right! Even Darko Milicic was like WTF.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People seem to forget that Ezeli was really coming into his own as a center his last year in GS. Yes he was bad in the Finals, but it was obviously a poor matchup situation for him and he shouldn't be out there.

It's not his fault he had a career ending injury. At worst if he was still able to play I don't think you'd find many around here that would argue he'd at the very least be a viable backup center. And with the 30th pick, that's really what you're hoping for. A solid rotation guy, with the potential to maybe start. Ezeli was on his way to becoming a starting caliber center.

Ezeli was coming into his own.

As a throwback 90s style center who might not have a legit place in the league today anyway. Kind of like Mozgov.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,414.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the Lakers wasted Year 1 of LeBron

this from McMenamin's article on the articles--- not that I am a huge zubac fan- in quite- the opposite- but i found this amusing:

When Zubac finally got meaningful minutes, he averaged 17.7 points and 8.7 rebounds, including an 18-point, 11-board effort on Christmas Day.

Zubac -- drafted as a raw 7-1, 240-pound center in the second round in 2016 -- had turned himself into a viable prospect under Walton.

And then, at the trade deadline, that prospect was gone. The Lakers sent Zubacand Beasley to the L.A. Clippers for Mike Muscala, primarily to clear a roster spot for a potential playoff push.

The Lakers had visions of signing a shooter such as Wayne Ellington, or another big man such as DeAndre Jordan or Enes Kanter, or possibly even signing Carmelo Anthony.

None of those things happened.

Giving up Zubac to add an impactful player to the roster would have been a necessary cost. Trading a promising player to free Beasley's spot -- who the Lakers could've simply cut -- for Muscala, who shot 20.8 percent from 3 in his first 11 games with L.A., was a self-inflicted wound.

Shortly after the trade deadline, Clippers consultant Jerry West -- who spent more than 40 years with the Lakers as a player, coach and executive -- got together for dinner with old friends who also had former Laker ties, sources said. He couldn't believe how Zubac fell into his lap. The Clippers, sources said, never even called the Lakers to inquire about Zubac. The Lakers made the offer and the Clippers gladly accepted.

Sources said those at the dinner table shared a hearty laugh at the Lakers' expense.

Zubac was leaving as a FA this simmer anyway. He's due for a pay raise.

Trading him when we could was the right move.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry was far from a sure thing, but consider the Wolves were always drafting Rubio here. The appeal of him was that he was a big PG at 6'5" and had the defensive chops to guard the best perimeter player. That meant that the Wolves essentially were looking at pairing him with another scoring guard. So they opted for Flynn as a scorer over Curry, which makes no sense. Even from the perspective that you thought Curry would always be an undersized 2, that makes him an IDEAL fit next to Rubio. On top of that the biggest knock on Rubio (and still is) was his inability to shoot the ball. Wouldn't adding a shooter next to him make sense?

The logic just doesn't pan out. It's mind boggling to me that the Wolves didn't take him at 6. I'm not really concerned about the teams above them taking Curry because like you said he was far from a sure thing. But he was absolutely the logical guy there.

You are 100% right.

Curry's draft workout moves had to play a role here too.

From the Minnesota point of view, they clearly had doubts about what kind of pro he would be and they opted for the player who wanted to be there over the guy who didn't.

It was obviously a horrendous choice, but I do understand why they made it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Warriors had Curry pegged correctly.

In fairness though, he was one of the more difficult lottery caliber players to evaluate in recent memory. Some GMs probably would have taken him top 3 because of his skill set. Others had him rated much lower .

Steph and Trae Young get compared a lot for obvious reasons. Young fell to 6 in this year's draft despite everyone already seeing Steph's awesome success. They aren't the same player and there were reasons to be concerned about Young, but also a legit superstar comp.

Steph was a player without a true position, scouts had very legitimate questions about his ability to defend, he was drafted into a much less 3 point crazy NBA, and there were no good star comparisons of players who had similar games.

When considering all this info along with the fact that he refused workouts with teams like Minnesota and even GS, I can't blame teams too much for passing on Curry. It is way easier to make that decision in hind sight seeing what he has become.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO at Jerry West laughing at Magic following the Zubac trade