• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors had Curry pegged correctly.

In fairness though, he was one of the more difficult lottery caliber players to evaluate in recent memory. Some GMs probably would have taken him top 3 because of his skill set. Others had him rated much lower .

Steph and Trae Young get compared a lot for obvious reasons. Young fell to 6 in this year's draft despite everyone already seeing Steph's awesome success. They aren't the same player and there were reasons to be concerned about Young, but also a legit superstar comp.

Steph was a player without a true position, scouts had very legitimate questions about his ability to defend, he was drafted into a much less 3 point crazy NBA, and there were no good star comparisons of players who had similar games.

When considering all this info along with the fact that he refused workouts with teams like Minnesota and even GS, I can't blame teams too much for passing on Curry. It is way easier to make that decision in hind sight seeing what he has become.
This. There's always a story behind "obvious" mistakes we see in hindsight. No one purposefully makes a bad pick, they base it on the information they have at the time, and their needs at the time.

Still gotta get them right a few times or you're out of a job, but there's usually very good reasons why teams draft who they draft

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors had Curry pegged correctly.

In fairness though, he was one of the more difficult lottery caliber players to evaluate in recent memory. Some GMs probably would have taken him top 3 because of his skill set. Others had him rated much lower .

Steph and Trae Young get compared a lot for obvious reasons. Young fell to 6 in this year's draft despite everyone already seeing Steph's awesome success. They aren't the same player and there were reasons to be concerned about Young, but also a legit superstar comp.

Steph was a player without a true position, scouts had very legitimate questions about his ability to defend, he was drafted into a much less 3 point crazy NBA, and there were no good star comparisons of players who had similar games.

When considering all this info along with the fact that he refused workouts with teams like Minnesota and even GS, I can't blame teams too much for passing on Curry. It is way easier to make that decision in hind sight seeing what he has become.

Yeah, from all accounts, Don Nelson immediately made a comparison pre-draft to Steve Nash. Don Nelson was always ahead of his time with his vision of how his teams should play. He went small. He valued quickness and skill over height. He wanted guys who could contribute in multiple ways. He thought mismatches would work both ways and could be advantageous to his team despite a lack of size. I believe him fully when he says things like this:

"He played against Saint Mary’s, and I went to the game. I fell in love with the kid,"

"I thought he would be a perennial All-Star and one of the top point guards in the league,"

If the Warriors had the second overall pick in 2009, Curry would have never slipped as far as he did.

"I would have taken him No. 2 that year," Nelson declared. "I would have taken (Blake) Griffin first and then I would have taken him above everybody in the draft."

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO at Jerry West laughing at Magic following the Zubac trade

So classic. I posted that video a while back of how Magic and Jerry differed on their opinions of the moves the Lakers made and what to do with Lebron. It's amazing.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zubac was leaving as a FA this simmer anyway. He's due for a pay raise.

Trading him when we could was the right move.
yah...i def. think you have the right of it and not jerry west. good call DJ! lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So classic. I posted that video a while back of how Magic and Jerry differed on their opinions of the moves the Lakers made and what to do with Lebron. It's amazing.

Well, Jerry West is a personnel genius.

What does that make Magic?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a huge summer for Magic.

Dude looking bad out here lol.

Might be out of an job next summer if his moves this coming summer doesn't work out

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah...i def. think you have the right of it and not jerry west. good call DJ! lol

Zubac was a RFA. Lakers could have matched for whatever.

Also Muscala is a FA also (UFA)

So what difference did it make? Got like they got Muscala under contract for next year

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a huge summer for Magic.

Dude looking bad out here lol.

Might be out of an job next summer if his moves this coming summer doesn't work out
over rated big time

Fire his ass. Trade Lebron and then the Lakers can actually build something

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors gonna be fine financially to pay a luxury tax, IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, from all accounts, Don Nelson immediately made a comparison pre-draft to Steve Nash. Don Nelson was always ahead of his time with his vision of how his teams should play. He went small. He valued quickness and skill over height. He wanted guys who could contribute in multiple ways. He thought mismatches would work both ways and could be advantageous to his team despite a lack of size. I believe him fully when he says things like this:

"He played against Saint Mary’s, and I went to the game. I fell in love with the kid,"

"I thought he would be a perennial All-Star and one of the top point guards in the league,"

If the Warriors had the second overall pick in 2009, Curry would have never slipped as far as he did.

"I would have taken him No. 2 that year," Nelson declared. "I would have taken (Blake) Griffin first and then I would have taken him above everybody in the draft."

That is interesting that Don Nelson would make that comparison.

They are both supremely skilled and below average athletically, but have very different playing styles. So I doubt many others would have thought that predraft. Especially since Curry only played PG for 1 year at Davidson.

Nelson was clearly right though.

I have said this before, but imagine how different Curry's career would have been if he had taken the preferred walk on spot at VT instead of choosing Davidson?

Because I am here to tell you. Seth Greenberg loved big time athletes and Curry did not have the skills needed to play the point early in his college career or the size/strength to play 2 in the ACC. The VT coaching staff would not have been invested in him the way McKillop clearly was at Davidson. There is a very real chance Steph would still be "Dell's son" had he gone to VT.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So he wasn't 100% right, lol.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over rated big time

Fire his ass. Trade Lebron and then the Lakers can actually build something

Coming from a fan of a team that put all their eggs in the Kawhi basket, who could bolt this summer? Better get to the finals...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true, it pretty much negates most of the credit I gave him as a GM.

Horrible pick.

Might be wishful thinking on my part.

BUT, I think Bennett is a worse pick than Brown and The Khandi man.

At least those guys were able to stay in the league a few years.

Bennett barely made it 2 before he washed out.
Bennett is probably worse. But really one is awful, the other just beyond awful I guess.

Even worse was the only one who did not want Bennett is a guy most here did not like at the time - Chris Grant.

I still think Griff is a decent GM. Just not want many want to make him out to be.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zubac was a RFA. Lakers could have matched for whatever.

Also Muscala is a FA also (UFA)

So what difference did it make? Got like they got Muscala under contract for next year

This summer will be a lot like last summer in terms of intent. Zubac would likely be let go to maintain cap space for a big free agent.

Muscala was brought in with the intent to have him help space the floor in the playoffs. Obviously that did not come close to coming to pass. Again, both errors wouldn't have happened had they kept the very cheap Bryant instead.