• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea to me taking A rookie Tatum, A second year Jaylen and a relatively low pick in Rozier and teaming them up with the group of vets and making the ECF was a big feather for Stevens imo even considering the relatively weak East. They did beat Milwaukee and Philly though granted both are better this year.

Heck Marcus Smart missed signifcant time including parts of the season and playoffs also last year.
I'm sure you know I never have said he's not a good coach. But there are guys who if they had the Cs where he does with everyone healthy they'd be getting crushed.

Haven't seen it but heard Kyrie might have had another meltdown with reporters. Seems clear this kid can never be happy. Never thought with his talent they could be better off without him, but seems maybe they are.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you know I never have said he's not a good coach. But there are guys who if they had the Cs where he does with everyone healthy they'd be getting crushed.

Haven't seen it but heard Kyrie might have had another meltdown with reporters. Seems clear this kid can never be happy. Never thought with his talent they could be better off without him, but seems maybe they are.

I think the Celtics are better off without Kyrie

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which begs the question, are there any would be contending teams that are better off with him?
Gonna be the million dollar question this offseason (or 35-40 million). And how could you know? I would imagine the Cs figured he was thrilled to be there when he arrived.

Keep hearing NY, but if has issues with the media is NY the best place for him?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fair to believe if they played each other the non Lebron Lakers might win because, as you mention, the Cavs were built to be a team who played with Lebron. But because of this I think they were the better team - and proved it - with Lebron.

Cavs also added Sexton who, while no stud as of now, could have been another playmaker and would think Clarkson is in the discussion for 6th man of the year and can make plays.

No doubt the formula to win with Lebron seems to be have another playmaker close to his level (Wade or Kyrie) and a bunch of shooters - Allen, Korver, Miller, Battier, Frye, Love, etc. - with at least 1-2 stud rebounders, preferably one who will just do dirty work (Bosh, Love, Haslem, TT)

Did Magic mean to throw shade on the Cavs. I think so, but agree cannot be sure. No doubt that's how the media and most fans took it, though.

Interestingly enough....

I don't think that is the correct formula.

LeBron won with both Wade and Kyrie, but I do not think they were the best fits to play with LeBron.

The Heat were far and away the most talented team in the NBA for 3 years, and probably on equal footing in terms of talent with the Spurs in 2014. They only won twice.

Kyrie is more talented than Klay, Love is more talented than Dray, LeBron is better than Curry.

Yes, GS had more, better depth, but IMO their big 3 was a better unit also, because the parts fit together so well.

IMO, The ideal LeBron blueprint is one that we have never seen, unfortunately.

I want to see LeBron as the primary playmaker surrounded by high level 3 and D guys like Klay and Middleton. An athletic big (Capella type) who can play pick and roll and defend in space and another bigger perimeter player who could guards 3s or 4s and also make the 3 (like a PJ Tucker?)

Lastly, give me a Jamal Crawford/Lou Williams type instant offense player off the bench who could anchor the second unit and be a second ball handler when needed.

Wade and LeBron never really fit each other that well. Kyrie was a little better fit because he could catch and shoot too, but still not ideal, IMO.

Too bad we will never see it.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea to me taking A rookie Tatum, A second year Jaylen and a relatively low pick in Rozier and teaming them up with the group of vets and making the ECF was a big feather for Stevens imo even considering the relatively weak East. They did beat Milwaukee and Philly though granted both are better this year.

Heck Marcus Smart missed signifcant time including parts of the season and playoffs also last year.

I think there is another major reason why Stevens gets less blame than Kyrie here.

The team clearly seems to play differently and better when Kyrie is on the bench. But he is also clearly their best player. So Stevens has to find ways to integrate him, but Kyrie's attitude makes it seem like he is unwilling to be part of the system.

And no coach in their right mind is going to bench Kyrie.

So Stevens is probably stuck in a holding pattern for now until all the players buy in to Playing together as the second unit has.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few weeks? Kyrie was out a couple months.
LeBron was out 19 or more games and without LeBron - no team whether it is the Miami Heat, Cavaliers or the Lakers are going to do anything. Irving isn't even the tenth best player in the NBA let alone the Best - There is no comparison there. The Lakers were playing good before the injuries. At this point, they should tank and get another draft pick

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100% even though all I want to do is argue. Weird you say exactly what I do and aren't accused of just wanting to argue.

No offense, but I don't argue for page after page after page, carrying on with the argument for 2-3 weeks and refusing to even acknowledge that I might be wrong when pretty much the entire board disagrees with me and provides facts to do so.

I also don't get into an argument virtually every time I log on.

As for Luke, I wouldn't read into anything one way or the other as no one says they are looking to can a coach until they do. Agree on the coach killer idea. As you probably know, I've never liked Lebron but never got this narrative (for the reasons you gave).

True, re: Luke. It's just funny that there's all of this speculation even though the only quotes from the Lakers seem to be the opposite. Of course, it's possible that the Lakers are simply trying to prevent further distractions and Luke will be gone as soon as the season ends.

Your comments on Lue? all I'm saying. MIGHT he not be a good coach? I guess, but what has he done that would make anyone think this, and be so sure about it? No one else beat GS (and he actually did). No one thought anyone would beat GS once they got Durant. Hell, many even said the Laker team Lebron joined was because they were more talented than the Cavs (minus Lebron). I don't believe this, but was said by many of the same people ripping Lue.

He may very well be a good coach. At the very least, it looks like he can manage ego's, which is half the battle.

That was always Phil Jackson's greatest strength, imo. I was never impressed with Phils' "X's and O's. Heck, the triangle offense that he was famous for, was mainly taught to the players by Tex Winter.

But, he was able to get MJ and Kobe to buy into the team concept and got Shaq and Kobe to stop feuding long enough to win 3 titles together.

So, if Lue can actually teach along with managing the ego's...he might actually be a much better coach than most want to give him credit for right now.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interestingly enough....

I don't think that is the correct formula.

LeBron won with both Wade and Kyrie, but I do not think they were the best fits to play with LeBron.

The Heat were far and away the most talented team in the NBA for 3 years, and probably on equal footing in terms of talent with the Spurs in 2014. They only won twice.

Kyrie is more talented than Klay, Love is more talented than Dray, LeBron is better than Curry.

Yes, GS had more, better depth, but IMO their big 3 was a better unit also, because the parts fit together so well.

IMO, The ideal LeBron blueprint is one that we have never seen, unfortunately.

I want to see LeBron as the primary playmaker surrounded by high level 3 and D guys like Klay and Middleton. An athletic big (Capella type) who can play pick and roll and defend in space and another bigger perimeter player who could guards 3s or 4s and also make the 3 (like a PJ Tucker?)

Lastly, give me a Jamal Crawford/Lou Williams type instant offense player off the bench who could anchor the second unit and be a second ball handler when needed.

Wade and LeBron never really fit each other that well. Kyrie was a little better fit because he could catch and shoot too, but still not ideal, IMO.

Too bad we will never see it.
I actually think Love was the best fit to play with him of all his teammates as a big who can also shoot and spread the floor is huge. But he does need another ballhandler/creator. Especially now that he's older. Agree, Kyrie better than Wade for him because he can shoot better

You realize the Big 3s you mentioned met once and the Cavs won, right? Durant is who tips the scales and with no cap room that move cannot be matched (or even close).

Your idea could work, too. I'm sure I'll get ripped for saying it but don't care....with the guys you mentioned, no reason not to make Love the PF of that team to spread the floor because you'd have other guys who could help him on D (or make up for his lack of D) in Middleton, Klay and Capela.

Lebron, Klay, Middleton, Love, Capela, Lou Williams as the top 6? Yes, please. Just need to find a true backup PG and another big. Now I'm being a homer, but I'd take my chances with Delly and TT with those other 6 (though I'm sure there are better options who are true backups and not stars)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won more without him because the Cavs were built to play with him. And, many of the games without him, Love and/or Kyrie also sat. Was also an 0-8 stretch his first year back before they even added JR/shump/Mozgov to the team.

Agree 100%. The Cavs built that team completely around Lebron. Which, at the time, was the best way to do it. If not for the Warriors doing what they did just as Lebron returned, the Cavs probably have at least 1 more title, maybe more.

The Lakers probably would have built their roster the same way if they were getting a younger Lebron. But, they got him when they got him and now need to try to build a roster that is less dependent on him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron was out 19 or more games and without LeBron - no team whether it is the Miami Heat, Cavaliers or the Lakers are going to do anything. Irving isn't even the tenth best player in the NBA let alone the Best - There is no comparison there. The Lakers were playing good before the injuries. At this point, they should tank and get another draft pick
agree no comparison to Lebron and said so.....but certainly losing Kyrie and Love is worse than Rondo, Kuzma or Ball being out.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well yeah losing LeBron is a death knell.

The Cavs were 4-19 without him in the four years they went to the finals.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but I don't argue for page after page after page, carrying on with the argument for 2-3 weeks and refusing to even acknowledge that I might be wrong when pretty much the entire board disagrees with me and provides facts to do so.

I also don't get into an argument virtually every time I log on.

True, re: Luke. It's just funny that there's all of this speculation even though the only quotes from the Lakers seem to be the opposite. Of course, it's possible that the Lakers are simply trying to prevent further distractions and Luke will be gone as soon as the season ends.

He may very well be a good coach. At the very least, it looks like he can manage ego's, which is half the battle.

That was always Phil Jackson's greatest strength, imo. I was never impressed with Phils' "X's and O's. Heck, the triangle offense that he was famous for, was mainly taught to the players by Tex Winter.

But, he was able to get MJ and Kobe to buy into the team concept and got Shaq and Kobe to stop feuding long enough to win 3 titles together.

So, if Lue can actually teach along with managing the ego's...he might actually be a much better coach than most want to give him credit for right now.
Problem is I was shown to be wrong a couple times today and immediately manned up, admitted my gaffes and apologized.

Yes, I get into arguments, but come on....there are many others here who are just as guilty.

I'll tell you my only issue with Lue was he became an ass in pressers. I get Pop could get like that, but it just came across different with Lue for me. Cannot put my finger on it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Love was the best fit to play with him of all his teammates as a big who can also shoot and spread the floor is huge. But he does need another ballhandler/creator. Especially now that he's older. Agree, Kyrie better than Wade for him because he can shoot better

You realize the Big 3s you mentioned met once and the Cavs won, right? Durant is who tips the scales and with no cap room that move cannot be matched (or even close).

Your idea could work, too. I'm sure I'll get ripped for saying it but don't care....with the guys you mentioned, no reason not to make Love the PF of that team to spread the floor because you'd have other guys who could help him on D (or make up for his lack of D) in Middleton, Klay and Capela.

Lebron, Klay, Middleton, Love, Capela, Lou Williams as the top 6? Yes, please. Just need to find a true backup PG and another big. Now I'm being a homer, but I'd take my chances with Delly and TT with those other 6 (though I'm sure there are better options who are true backups and not stars)

Why would you get ripped for that? Love would be ideal in that scenario.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is another major reason why Stevens gets less blame than Kyrie here.

The team clearly seems to play differently and better when Kyrie is on the bench. But he is also clearly their best player. So Stevens has to find ways to integrate him, but Kyrie's attitude makes it seem like he is unwilling to be part of the system.

And no coach in their right mind is going to bench Kyrie.

So Stevens is probably stuck in a holding pattern for now until all the players buy in to Playing together as the second unit has.

It doesn't seem Rozier and Brown know how to play with him. I'd have to look at the in depth stats but I'd be willing to bet they do better when he's on the bench.