• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed. those qualities certainly aren't attractive in a player...
I could see second level stars who might want a ring being very open to play with him (like Beal, for instance) but not sure about superstars......though I guess AD is an exception. Though PG seemed like he wanted to play with him and when he had the choice he didn't.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Luke Walton has been on the hot-seat since Lebron joined the team. As far as I can recall his game plans and rotations have been sketchy at best. He owns some responsibility here.

The rotations were fine when everyone was healthy. Having as many players out as the Lakers have had and for as long as they have, it's going to mess up rotations and game plans.

2) Magic and Pelinka did a HORRIBLE job or surrounding Lebron and their current cast of long term players with better off-season acquisitions. The only one that truly made any sense was actually Javale McGee, which speaks volumes for what they did. They acquired no outside shooting to pair with the team. It's like they've never watched Lebron play at all before and just threw darts at a dart board looking to fill the roster.

It wasn't like there were other options. It took 2 weeks to get Lebron signed. They really couldn't do much until they had him. By that time, the better guys who would have been available, no longer were.

For the most part, those players have been fine. The problem has been that, with the injuries, they have had to take on roles that they weren't signed for and have showed why they were available on 1 year deals.

3) Lebron's got responsibility for creating this toxic environment. We all know the shit show that comes along with Lebron, but at the end of the day the ends justify the means. Unfortunately this time around the ends aren't up to par. He gets (and deservedly so) the lionshare for the uneasiness in the locker room.

That and as, I forget who the guest was, said on Cowherd this morning. Lebron isn't in shape yet from his injury. He said that Lebron has never had an injury that kept him out for any length of time and had no plan for how to deal with it and come back in better shape. Ever since he got back from injury, Wiggy has been saying that he looks heavy to him. The guest agreed and said Lebron looks like he's at about 280 right now.

4) Anthony Davis. Somewhere along the way the vision and direction of the team got skewed. I fully believe that Magic, Pelinka and Lebron all had a conversation previous in the year about the direction of the team and that they were planning on being possibly playoff contending this year but looking to be a real factor next year (hence all their big 1 year deals they signed for the incoming free agents). But at some point Anthony Davis decided he wanted out and it was evident where he wanted to go. By forcing his hand and telling the public he wanted to go to the Lakers, it forced the Lakers hand in trying to make a deal where they weren't in a position to really win. Then they pissed off all the young guys who were rumored in trades that likely were in the future plans for the Lakers. Lebron comes off looking like a bigger asshole because of the Klutch stuff. Now good luck getting any free agents to go to LA next year when they'll have to deal with all the shade that comes their way too.

I think it was mishandled more by Rich Paul and Klutch than by Magic and the Lakers. It was Klutch that made it public that AD wanted out, thinking that they could just bully the Pels into trading him.

This is where Magic and Pelinka showed their inexperience too. When the whole thing started spinning out of control, they didn't know how to stop it. It's why I was really hoping that they would have kept Mitch Kupchak around in an advisory role. I don't think this gets away from them like it did if Mitch is there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well not to keep beating a dead horse around here, but there's a real difference in creating a system that fits your players strengths and implementing it, versus just being able to make sure everything doesn't fall apart. Kerr created the system. Luke did well in his absence in making sure the guys stayed on track. Still think Luke has a great potential as a HC, and Kerr certainly has his faults as a coach too, but it would be a much different situation.
I don't meant to come across like I'm I'm ripping him, but not sure how that system would play if he didn't have more talent at his disposal than everyone his team plays. Only time he might not have, he lost.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There will be a ton of competition for the 3 or 4 big names hitting the market. It's certainly possible that the Lakers will nab one but the odds are probably against it.

Honestly, I'm not sure they need to land one of the big stars. Don't get me wrong...I sure hope that they are able to land one.

But I think that if they got Vucevic as an FA and Beal in a trade, they could be a very good team.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see second level stars who might want a ring being very open to play with him (like Beal, for instance) but not sure about superstars......though I guess AD is an exception. Though PG seemed like he wanted to play with him and when he had the choice he didn't.
I found it interesting that AD was asked during the AS break about wanting to be traded and if he had a preference list of teams. He said he DOES NOT have a preferred list. He said what Rich said is true - that he wants to be traded to a team that is contending and has a shot at winning a title.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't meant to come across like I'm I'm ripping him, but not sure how that system would play if he didn't have more talent at his disposal than everyone his team plays. Only time he might not have, he lost.

No the Warriors had more talent at their disposal in 2016. Kerr was outcoached by Lue that series. The players themselves also didn't help, then you had Draymond's suspension and subsequent injuries to both Bogut and Iguodala. Cavs earned that championship as much as any team in the history of the NBA.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found it interesting that AD was asked during the AS break about wanting to be traded and if he had a preference list of teams. He said he DOES NOT have a preferred list. He said what Rich said is true - that he wants to be traded to a team that is contending and has a shot at winning a title.

This is obvious cover in case he gets shipped out to Boston. He was trying to force his way to the Lakers first which is why it was leaked he had a preferred destination list and Boston wasn't on it. They were really the only team that could potentially have the assets to make a move for him, but were handcuffed from being able to do it until the off-season.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of Zo but yeah his defense is pretty good especially when you consider his height and length at the PG position

His scoring isn't what it's needs to be and don't even get me started on his free throw shooting. lol

The offense flows much better when he is playing. There have been times since he's been out that they look like a bunch of guys who have never played together before.

But the bigger impact is on the defensive end of the floor. The Lakers have been destroyed by opposing point guards since he's been out. Plus, he can guard 3 positions because of his length.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll give you that. yeah, that Klutch sports power trip is definitely becoming a factor...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but I still like to think clearly.

th

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is obvious cover in case he gets shipped out to Boston. He was trying to force his way to the Lakers first which is why it was leaked he had a preferred destination list and Boston wasn't on it. They were really the only team that could potentially have the assets to make a move for him, but were handcuffed from being able to do it until the off-season.
Yea, I'm not so convinced that AD wanted it handled how Rich did it. IMO if he was completely on board he would've come right out himself & said he wants to be traded to LA.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No the Warriors had more talent at their disposal in 2016. Kerr was outcoached by Lue that series. The players themselves also didn't help, then you had Draymond's suspension and subsequent injuries to both Bogut and Iguodala. Cavs earned that championship as much as any team in the history of the NBA.
Not sure GS had more talent. with no Durant on GS and no Love/Kyrie (all but a game) Cavs gave them all they could handle in 2015. Mostly full strength and GS with home court the Cavs won in 2016 pre Durant. No question talent shifted to GS when Durant arrived.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His scoring isn't what it's needs to be and don't even get me started on his free throw shooting. lol

The offense flows much better when he is playing. There have been times since he's been out that they look like a bunch of guys who have never played together before.

But the bigger impact is on the defensive end of the floor. The Lakers have been destroyed by opposing point guards since he's been out. Plus, he can guard 3 positions because of his length.
I'll admit I often find myself hoping he'll fail because of his father, but he seems like a decent kid and while not as good as his dad thinks, he is a solid player IMO.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I'm not so convinced that AD wanted it handled how Rich did it. IMO if he was completely on board he would've come right out himself & said he wants to be traded to LA.

I think you have to consider his circumstances in that he was still under contract for another year. In the event he gets traded elsewhere, he has to cover his bases, which is why you always make your management or someone else the face. That's why agents and business managers exist. It's to get what the player wants, without the player having to face the backlash. They get paid to be the bad guy.

IMO, there's no benefit for AD coming out and saying he only wants to be traded to the Lakers.