• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wrong about what? Never said there were no name sources. Never mind you keep ignoring Lebron's actions.....he cares so much about his GM he joined a team who made an agent with no FO experience their GM.

I didn't ignore Lebron's actions. I simply pointed out that Lebron wanted Griffin to stay and Gilbert let him go.

You said it was "unnamed sources" and I provided proof that it wasn't.

You were wrong and are trying to move the goalposts instead of just admitting you were wrong as you claim you do.

You ignore Lebron would not commit to stay even with the idea a deal for PG would be made.....yet you think it must be the owner. Couldn't just be he wanted to go to LA.

Of course it could be that Lebron just wanted to go to LA. But that has nothing to do with the fact that Lebron wanted Griffin to stay and Gilbert let him go after Lebron had signed a 2 and 1 instead of a 1 and 1.

Maybe Lebron leaves anyway and maybe part of Gilbert's reasoning was that he was done kowtowing to Lebron and wanted his team back.

But we'll never know because Gilbert didn't keep Griffin.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid point.

He flat out said no when asked to commit to stave off the Kyrie trade.

But, it all comes back to control.

Lebron wanted it in Cleveland. Gilbert declined to give it to him once it was clear they couldn't beat the Warriors.

Lebron declined to remain the biggest fish, in the smallest pond once he couldn't control player movement and he knew he couldn't win with what they had.

In fairness, I am of the belief that he wanted to be in LA.

But, I also think he would have stayed maybe 1 more year if he thought the Cavs could win.

That 4 game sweep made it clear they couldn't.
Not sure where you are getting most of these comments other than guessing. Gilbert pretty much gave Lebron everything he wanted, but he thought he'd have more control elsewhere? Only time Gilbert refused to give Lebron control was when it became clear Lebron would leave.

Lebron said to keep Kyrie and they would have done so if he would have stayed. Probably trade for PG if he commits to stay. So he would never lose control with a commitment.

Cavs went to the Finals without home court but if they stayed together and added Sexton (or moved the pick with Clarkson and others for Walker and a bad contract) they couldn't win? Are the Lakers winning? That's where he chose to go.....winning didn't matter. Location, location, location.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me see if I have this straight, you are asking me if I swallow another person's OPINION of Lebron's motivations for leaving over Lebron's own words?

I can do this all day, pal.

Well, until I have to pick up my kid from school.

She's too much of a snowflake to walk home if it's less than 70 degrees out.

Rising media mogul he may be, but James is clear that his focus is basketball. In fact, one thing that irks him and Carter is the assumption that he chose the Lakers because his business is based in Los Angeles. “It’s like, ‘Oh, LeBron signed with the Lakers, boom, all this stuff starts happening,’” says James. “Hell no, this stuff has been in the works.
You believe that? Plan all along was find players who couldn't shoot or rebound? Lebron has reason to lie. Griffin does not.

And tell that kid to hoof it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct.

the funny thing is that Gilbert has shown a lot of stability in that way--- Grant was an assistant to Ferry---- Griffin was an assistant to Grant....Altman was an assistant to Griffin.

All 3 times he hired a GM after Ferry he hired an internal option.

Thats intersting. I never really thought of that before. Good catch.

That is interesting. I mean, I think you'd want the same guy in that position for more than 3 or 4 years for true stability.

But, when you hire the guy who was the assistant to the guy who is leaving, then it's definitely more stability than I gave Gilbert credit for.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy does make a good point about how long Gilbert has owned the team.

He probably should have given Griffin the say he wanted over the rebuild. At some point, you need some stability in the GM position.
As I said, that would have been my preference. But the guy still is not a GM so maybe he asked for too much and/or prefers to be doing what he's doing. And I think he's better in his current role.

As someone who followed the team closely, I really don't see what the guy did that made him a must keep other than stability. But they remain stable as they always hire from within.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't ignore Lebron's actions. I simply pointed out that Lebron wanted Griffin to stay and Gilbert let him go.

You said it was "unnamed sources" and I provided proof that it wasn't.

You were wrong and are trying to move the goalposts instead of just admitting you were wrong as you claim you do.

Of course it could be that Lebron just wanted to go to LA. But that has nothing to do with the fact that Lebron wanted Griffin to stay and Gilbert let him go after Lebron had signed a 2 and 1 instead of a 1 and 1.

Maybe Lebron leaves anyway and maybe part of Gilbert's reasoning was that he was done kowtowing to Lebron and wanted his team back.

But we'll never know because Gilbert didn't keep Griffin.
Lebron saying Griffin was a good GM is the same as saying "I'd have stayed if he did"?

We can look at the team Lebron joined and the GM and get a good sense Lebron doesn't really care who the GM is. You think he has more faith in Pelinka than Altman (he also had nice things to say about Altman, BTW)?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the All Star break will be good for them.

But I think the best thing for them would be if Lebron stepped up and started to lead.

They need LeBron to call a team meeting, hash everything out, and get everyone on the same page.

I have no doubts that the Plaschke article was correct in saying that Rondo is the veteran leader right now- and LeBron needs to correct that and regain the trust of the rest of the team if they are going to have any chance at having a succesful season.

LeBron needs to grow a pair and step up, take some responsibility and lead.

Agree 100%. Rondo is doing a great job of being a veteran leader and is great with the kids.

But Lebron is the one that all of these kids have grown up idolizing and his words and actions carry the most weight with them.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where you are getting most of these comments other than guessing. Gilbert pretty much gave Lebron everything he wanted, but he thought he'd have more control elsewhere? Only time Gilbert refused to give Lebron control was when it became clear Lebron would leave.

Lebron said to keep Kyrie and they would have done so if he would have stayed. Probably trade for PG if he commits to stay. So he would never lose control with a commitment.

Cavs went to the Finals without home court but if they stayed together and added Sexton (or moved the pick with Clarkson and others for Walker and a bad contract) they couldn't win? Are the Lakers winning? That's where he chose to go.....winning didn't matter. Location, location, location.
If I'm guessing, so are you.

You accept parts of the article as gospel. But, popo the parts that directly oppose your narrative.

Lebron wanted to leave because he couldn't win, didn't like the moves by management.

Lebron wanted to be in LA. Since he can't win, might as well have the better quality of life.

These things aren't mutually exclusive, no matter how hard you try to convince us they are.

Sexton?

Lmfao...really?

No, none of those moves would have made a Shit of a difference.

That's like saying maybe he can win because of Ball.

He couldn't beat the Warriors in Ohio, just like he can't in LA.

So, at least he has the Beach.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You believe that? Plan all along was find players who couldn't shoot or rebound? Lebron has reason to lie. Griffin does not.

And tell that kid to hoof it.
I'm just playing your ridiculous shell game.

You want me to take Griffin's word as gospel about another man's choices, just because it's a direct quote from Griffin.

But, you refuse to accept the word of the person in question.

Epic fail.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron saying Griffin was a good GM is the same as saying "I'd have stayed if he did"?

We can look at the team Lebron joined and the GM and get a good sense Lebron doesn't really care who the GM is. You think he has more faith in Pelinka than Altman (he also had nice things to say about Altman, BTW)?

I don't know if LeBron would have stayed had Griffin been resigned and the Cavs made the necessary deals to have an actual chance at beating GS in 2018. He might not have stayed. But there was at least a chance.

But, he was a 100% stone cold lock to leave once Gilbert let Griffin walk and the Kyrie trade was completed as more of a forward looking move than a win now.

LeBron played his hand, Gilbert played his. Neither side was willing to capitulate to the other and it went down the only way it ever was going to. Both had the power to fix the relationship, neither was willing to do it.

Blame whoever you want, but Gilbert played a major role in the divorce.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Sorry to bring politics up in this thread, fuck the state of Wisconsin. Kaepernick's name to be removed from Black History bill by republican lawmakers.

Hey Wisconsin :finger2: :finger2: :finger2: :finger2:

This is 1 thing that really bothers me about the NFL. Abuse women, no problem. Try to take a stand for a social injustice & get blackballed outta the league.

The Wisconsin thing is some bullshit.

As for Kaepernick not being able to find a job in the NFL. I don't think it's his stand on social issues. I think it's that he is a backup qb who draws too much attention to himself.

It's a big part of the reason that Tim Tebow is no longer in the NFL.

The 1 thing coaches, especially NFL coaches, hate more than anything is distraction. When that distraction comes from a backup qb...that backup qb isn't long for the team.

If either Kaepernick or Tebow was as good as Russell Wilson, or Tom Brady, or heck, even just a good starting qb, they'd both still be in the league and the coaches would tolerate the distraction.

But they're not, so they don't.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm guessing, so are you.

You accept parts of the article as gospel. But, popo the parts that directly oppose your narrative.

Lebron wanted to leave because he couldn't win, didn't like the moves by management.

Lebron wanted to be in LA. Since he can't win, might as well have the better quality of life.

These things aren't mutually exclusive, no matter how hard you try to convince us they are.

Sexton?

Lmfao...really?

No, none of those moves would have made a Shit of a difference.

That's like saying maybe he can win because of Ball.

He couldn't beat the Warriors in Ohio, just like he can't in LA.

So, at least he has the Beach.
They went to the Finals last season and only GS could beat them. Did you not know this?

Lebron really thought he could win in LA any sooner? Seems clear if he wanted to win his best chance was stay or go to Philly.

You keep saying Lebron "didn't like the moves" but also ignore the rest of the narrative. Want to keep Kyrie? Stay. He wouldn't. Shows me he didn't really care all that much they moved Kyrie and was, in fact, going to LA. which is fine. It's his right.

I don't think sexton would have helped much, but there were other moves they would have made had he stayed. Walker perhaps?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Kennard turns into a stud.

Or, maybe this goes the way if the Frank Kaminsky pick.

Missed opportunity.

On a side note....

This has to be the 2nd worst move by Jordan outside of Kwame Brown, right?

They don't even play Kaminsky...Lmfao

"Boston put Charlotte on the other end of a quantity-for-quality pitch," writes Lowe. "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just playing your ridiculous shell game.

You want me to take Griffin's word as gospel about another man's choices, just because it's a direct quote from Griffin.

But, you refuse to accept the word of the person in question.

Epic fail.
No need to take his word as gospel, but Griffin (who you quoted) has no reason to lie nor anything to gain. Lebron's comments are said to make Lebron look better.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went to the Finals last season and only GS could beat them. Did you not know this?

Lebron really thought he could win in LA any sooner? Seems clear if he wanted to win his best chance was stay or go to Philly.

You keep saying Lebron "didn't like the moves" but also ignore the rest of the narrative. Want to keep Kyrie? Stay. He wouldn't. Shows me he didn't really care all that much they moved Kyrie and was, in fact, going to LA. which is fine. It's his right.

I don't think sexton would have helped much, but there were other moves they would have made had he stayed. Walker perhaps?
Take a breath.

I said they couldn't beat the Dubs.

He wasn't going to win a chip there, like he won't win a chip in LA.

So, might as well go to the beach.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if LeBron would have stayed had Griffin been resigned and the Cavs made the necessary deals to have an actual chance at beating GS in 2018. He might not have stayed. But there was at least a chance.

But, he was a 100% stone cold lock to leave once Gilbert let Griffin walk and the Kyrie trade was completed as more of a forward looking move than a win now.

LeBron played his hand, Gilbert played his. Neither side was willing to capitulate to the other and it went down the only way it ever was going to. Both had the power to fix the relationship, neither was willing to do it.

Blame whoever you want, but Gilbert played a major role in the divorce.

It was definitely BOTH. It doesn't really matter who was to blame more but they didn't like each other, that's one thing all of us know for a fact.
If Griffin stays and makes that trade for PG and doesn't need Lebron's approval he will stay with CLE, I think Lebron is definitely more likely to stay but there is no definite answer. When you have two stubborn sides it usually never works out for long and not in the end.