• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wrong about what? Never said there were no name sources. Never mind you keep ignoring Lebron's actions.....he cares so much about his GM he joined a team who made an agent with no FO experience their GM.

You ignore Lebron would not commit to stay even with the idea a deal for PG would be made.....yet you think it must be the owner. Couldn't just be he wanted to go to LA.

And of course...the GM they had to keep is still not a GM.

I think you are being purposefully obtuse.

Griffin was negotiating to become GM and President.

So, obviously he was willing to stay, under the right circumstances.

But, I think you are spot on about Lebron.

It was always going to be the Lakers.

So, you are both right.

All those things were factors.

“You know, it’s really interesting,” Griffin said. “So, obviously, I have nothing but the ultimate respect for him and clearly I think he is the best player of his generation and probably several other generations. Look, nobody even knows my name if he’s not from Akron, and I’m very, very consciously aware of that and I think one of the reasons that he felt compelled to do this is that in setting up his post-NBA career, when you’ve got a production company that’s as prolific as his is already, there’s no better way to establish yourself in Hollywood and announce your presence with authority like signing with the Los Angeles Lakers.

“So I think this has as much to do with what comes next as anything else. I think his family enjoys the lifestyle there and I can’t say I blame them, it’s beautiful. But you don’t go about the process of buying a home in L.A. and continue to upgrade your home in L.A. while you’re living in Cleveland, without some intention of going to L.A.

“So, that was fairly clear I think, and so if you were paying attention, you could add everything together and know there was going to be a next step. And I think the fact that the Lakers signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope the year previously that they did, for the number that they did, gave them the ability to legally tamper by letting Rich Paul (James’ agent) see how incredibly good Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka could be at selling a vision of the franchise. So I think it all coalesced into going to the Lakers, but mostly it was what comes next for LeBron?”

Another thing that possibly might have played a role in James’ decision involved Griffin himself. In June 2017, Griffin and Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert failed to come to terms on a new contract, ending the general manager’s tenure with the team. Prior to that decision, James had been vocal about keeping Griffin as the central figure within the Cavs’ front office.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are being purposefully obtuse.

Griffin was negotiating to become GM and President.

So, obviously he was willing to stay, under the right circumstances.

But, I think you are spot on about Lebron.

It was always going to be the Lakers.

So, you are both right.

All those things were factors.

“You know, it’s really interesting,” Griffin said. “So, obviously, I have nothing but the ultimate respect for him and clearly I think he is the best player of his generation and probably several other generations. Look, nobody even knows my name if he’s not from Akron, and I’m very, very consciously aware of that and I think one of the reasons that he felt compelled to do this is that in setting up his post-NBA career, when you’ve got a production company that’s as prolific as his is already, there’s no better way to establish yourself in Hollywood and announce your presence with authority like signing with the Los Angeles Lakers.

“So I think this has as much to do with what comes next as anything else. I think his family enjoys the lifestyle there and I can’t say I blame them, it’s beautiful. But you don’t go about the process of buying a home in L.A. and continue to upgrade your home in L.A. while you’re living in Cleveland, without some intention of going to L.A.

“So, that was fairly clear I think, and so if you were paying attention, you could add everything together and know there was going to be a next step. And I think the fact that the Lakers signed Kentavious Caldwell-Pope the year previously that they did, for the number that they did, gave them the ability to legally tamper by letting Rich Paul (James’ agent) see how incredibly good Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka could be at selling a vision of the franchise. So I think it all coalesced into going to the Lakers, but mostly it was what comes next for LeBron?”

Another thing that possibly might have played a role in James’ decision involved Griffin himself. In June 2017, Griffin and Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert failed to come to terms on a new contract, ending the general manager’s tenure with the team. Prior to that decision, James had been vocal about keeping Griffin as the central figure within the Cavs’ front office.
I guess I'm not sure where I said anything that's not correct here. Might he have been negotiating? Sure, but as I've said Griffin didn't do anything here they made him a must keep. The team was set up for success when he took over with all the cap space and assets (and Kyrie, with Lebron wanting to come back).

As for the last bolded statement, not sure why you include it as you seem to agree it's likely he just wanted to go to LA. Know who else agrees with me? Griffin, himself, as noted above. Even Griffin doesn't think he is why Lebron left, so how can anyone argue about this?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“So I think this has as much to do with what comes next as anything else. I think his family enjoys the lifestyle there and I can’t say I blame them, it’s beautiful. But you don’t go about the process of buying a home in L.A. and continue to upgrade your home in L.A. while you’re living in Cleveland, without some intention of going to L.A."

That's a direct quote from Griffin per you, mecca......but some are still arguing his not staying is why Lebron left?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“So I think this has as much to do with what comes next as anything else. I think his family enjoys the lifestyle there and I can’t say I blame them, it’s beautiful. But you don’t go about the process of buying a home in L.A. and continue to upgrade your home in L.A. while you’re living in Cleveland, without some intention of going to L.A."

That's a direct quote from Griffin per you, mecca......but some are still arguing his not staying is why Lebron left?

The real reason LeBron said Le bye-bye to Cleveland again is he couldn't find the quality hair replacement center he was searching for in NE Ohio.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm not sure where I said anything that's not correct here. Might he have been negotiating? Sure, but as I've said Griffin didn't do anything here they made him a must keep. The team was set up for success when he took over with all the cap space and assets (and Kyrie, with Lebron wanting to come back).

As for the last bolded statement, not sure why you include it as you seem to agree it's likely he just wanted to go to LA. Know who else agrees with me? Griffin, himself, as noted above. Even Griffin doesn't think he is why Lebron left, so how can anyone argue about this?

Did you not question how we knew Griff even wanted to stay because we have no proof that he did?

Ummm, He entered into contract negotiations to not only keep his position as Gm, but to also become Team President.

People who are planning to leave don't do that.

* See LeBron July 1.

I'm pretty sure I said both things were contributing factors.

After the Cavs traded Kyrie and didn't retain Griff, both against Lebron's wishes, he was no longer willing to stay in Cleveland.

You have to know that LeBron came back , in part, because his Team was given a measure of power within the Organization that Pat Riley would never have ceded.

Once Gilbert stopped capitulating to Klutch's every whim, why would he stay if we wasn't going to win?

I'd rather lose in the Sun and Surf while cruising Rodeo drive as well.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

...and in the very same.e article it says Griff not being retained was also a factor.

But, yeah...let's just ignore that part....lol

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!

Sorry to bring politics up in this thread, fuck the state of Wisconsin. Kaepernick's name to be removed from Black History bill by republican lawmakers.

Hey Wisconsin :finger2: :finger2: :finger2: :finger2:

This is 1 thing that really bothers me about the NFL. Abuse women, no problem. Try to take a stand for a social injustice & get blackballed outta the league.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you not question how we knew Griff even wanted to stay because we have no proof that he did?

Ummm, He entered into contract negotiations to not only keep his position as Gm, but to also become Team President.

People who are planning to leave don't do that.

* See LeBron July 1.

I'm pretty sure I said both things were contributing factors.

After the Cavs traded Kyrie and didn't retain Griff, both against Lebron's wishes, he was no longer willing to stay in Cleveland.

You have to know that LeBron came back , in part, because his Team was given a measure of power within the Organization that Pat Riley would never have ceded.

Once Gilbert stopped capitulating to Klutch's every whim, why would he stay if we wasn't going to win?

I'd rather lose in the Sun and Surf while cruising Rodeo drive as well.
Yet Lebron was told commit and we'll keep Kyrie. He wouldn't. What am I missing? Even Griff stated he was leaving no matter what happened with him.

If he really wanted to win they had a move to get PG as well if he stayed. Clearly, he was leaving. would add if it was winning, woudn't Philly be better than LA as an option?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and in the very same.e article it says Griff not being retained was also a factor.

But, yeah...let's just ignore that part....lol
Let me see if I have this straight. You believe an article over Griffin's actual words?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet Lebron was told commit and we'll keep Kyrie. He wouldn't. What am I missing? Even Griff stated he was leaving no matter what happened with him.

If he really wanted to win they had a move to get PG as well if he stayed. Clearly, he was leaving. would add if it was winning, woudn't Philly be better than LA as an option?
Solid point.

He flat out said no when asked to commit to stave off the Kyrie trade.

But, it all comes back to control.

Lebron wanted it in Cleveland. Gilbert declined to give it to him once it was clear they couldn't beat the Warriors.

Lebron declined to remain the biggest fish, in the smallest pond once he couldn't control player movement and he knew he couldn't win with what they had.

In fairness, I am of the belief that he wanted to be in LA.

But, I also think he would have stayed maybe 1 more year if he thought the Cavs could win.

That 4 game sweep made it clear they couldn't.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking trash about the Hawks- they blow- they havent even won 20 games

that- and all they will get for their 6-7 extra wins over the Cavs is worse lottery position

having said that- I take Collins and Trae Young over any 2 of the Lakers young players.

Collins is a stud. Trae isn't exactly efficient but he will fit just fine in this current NBA

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me see if I have this straight. You believe an article over Griffin's actual words?
Let me see if I have this straight, you are asking me if I swallow another person's OPINION of Lebron's motivations for leaving over Lebron's own words?

I can do this all day, pal.

Well, until I have to pick up my kid from school.

She's too much of a snowflake to walk home if it's less than 70 degrees out.

Rising media mogul he may be, but James is clear that his focus is basketball. In fact, one thing that irks him and Carter is the assumption that he chose the Lakers because his business is based in Los Angeles. “It’s like, ‘Oh, LeBron signed with the Lakers, boom, all this stuff starts happening,’” says James. “Hell no, this stuff has been in the works.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good deal. He seems to be well liked in Denver. Haven't heard anything bad about him. Wouldn't surprise me if the Pepsi Center gets loud when he enters the game. If he can still play he could be an asset off the bench in short (no pun intended) spurts.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else expect LeBron to step his game up after the A.S. break & the Lakers finish the regular season on a roll?

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal. He seems to be well liked in Denver. Haven't heard anything bad about him. Wouldn't surprise me if the Pepsi Center gets loud when he enters the game. If he can still play he could be an asset off the bench in short (no pun intended) spurts.
I think he can be a quality 6th or 7th man for them, good scoring punch while the starters are out. But I hope he struggles tonight because the Kings could REALLY use a win.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it not in this case? It is a fact in this thread there is nothing factual that tells us Griff wanted to stay.

It's funny that's what you pick out here, though, from the facts.....like the GM we had to keep is still not a GM? That Lebron cares so much about who the GM is, he joined a team who made an agent with no FO experience their GM?

This is what Kobe said to Jeanie before she made the move to fire Jim Buss.
“Jeanie, I know who we’re trying to get; we know who we’re trying to get, so that player is not going to come here with all of this s— going on. It’s not going to happen. So if you do want to have that focus, and go after that player, then I’m telling you that you’ve gotta clean house, and you’ve gotta just reshuffle the deck and start anew. You have the new practice facility (the UCLA Health Training Center) that we’re just moving into (in the summer of 2017). We’ve got new management, and off we go. But that player is not coming here unless you do that.”
That move was made specifically to accommodate LeBron.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's odd, and Gilbert is certainly not perfect. I hoped Griffin would stay but he just didn't do anything that was so impressive he was a must keep.

Wiggy does make a good point about how long Gilbert has owned the team.

He probably should have given Griffin the say he wanted over the rebuild. At some point, you need some stability in the GM position.