• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it was reported as a fact that Lebron didn't want Griffin gone.

As I said, I have no idea why he signed with the Lakers for as long as he did. I was surprised the Lakers got him at all and even more surprised that he signed for as long as he did. Maybe Jeanie was there when Magic met with him and gave him a lap dance? :noidea:

All I know is what was reported. Maybe Lebron wanted to keep Griffin because Griffin would do what he wanted? Either way, it was reported that Lebron wanted to keep him and Gilbert let him go.
Reported by unnamed sources? Griffin talks a lot and seems to be a straight shooter. Did he ever say this? Did Lebron?

Is there a reason you ignore the idea Griffin wanted to go? Perhaps when he learned even if he could add PG to the team Lebron still would not commit to stay, he realized nothing would make him stay.

You really discount this and believe GM was what mattered.....but he joined a team with an agent as the GM (a real fact).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reported by unnamed sources? Griffin talks a lot and seems to be a straight shooter. Did he ever say this? Did Lebron?

Is there a reason you ignore the idea Griffin wanted to go? Perhaps when he learned even if he could add PG to the team Lebron still would not commit to stay, he realized nothing would make him stay.

You really discount this and believe GM was what mattered.....but he joined a team with an agent as the GM (a real fact).
thats exactly what it was if you ask me.

Griffin negotiated the Love for George deal--- they went to LeBron to see if he would commit- he said no, and Griffin saw the writing on the wall and left.

I think that much is clear- that Griffin left because he had a very very strong suspicion- or even knew- that LeBron was gone.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and Pelinka was the agent for Boozer that f'd LeBron and the Cavs and their formerly blind owner over. So I mean- that REALLY shows it his lack of concern if you ask me.

I gotta say- hiring an agent who has no front office experience seemed like an odd decision. And I have always loathed Pelinka since he swindled a blind man.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the Lakers were 20-22nd in 3 point shooting when James got hurt right? When they were the 4th seed.
so before LeBron missed less than a 1/4 of the season, they were just a bad 3 pt shooting team and not an awful one.

good point DJ. lol.

its not LeBron's fault that Ingram is shooting 28% from 3 and Kuzma is shooting 32% from 3.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair points.....I actually thought they'd make a move for Korver. Possibe they did but Cavs liked Utah's offer better.
think of what Korver got them

it got them Burks and 2 2nd rounders, which they then flipped Burks for a 1st rounder.

not a bad little return for Kyle Korver--- 2 2nds and a 1st

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently Griffin said that he and Dan Gilbert not seeing eye to eye had something to do with it.

Why did David Griffin step down as Cavaliers GM? Because of Dan Gilbert

James liked Griffin. He suggested as much in April, when he said, “It makes no sense why [Griffin] shouldn’t get an extension.” Instead of heeding his star’s advice, Gilbert pushed the general manager out.

How's that for named sources?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

He was talking trash about the Hawks.....should a Cavs fan really talk trash about another bad team? :pound:
I was talking trash about the Hawks- they blow- they havent even won 20 games

that- and all they will get for their 6-7 extra wins over the Cavs is worse lottery position

having said that- I take Collins and Trae Young over any 2 of the Lakers young players.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Griffin said that he and Dan Gilbert not seeing eye to eye had something to do with it.

Why did David Griffin step down as Cavaliers GM? Because of Dan Gilbert

James liked Griffin. He suggested as much in April, when he said, “It makes no sense why [Griffin] shouldn’t get an extension.” Instead of heeding his star’s advice, Gilbert pushed the general manager out.
I think its pretty clear Griffin saw the writing on the wall that LeBron was out the door. I think Griffin wanted final say over the roster to move forward with a rebuild and Gilbert would not give it to him.

I wish Griffin was still here as i think he is a good GM, and i think he could have gotten a better Kyrie deal done, but rest be assured- if David Griffin thought LeBron was ending is career in Cleveland like LeBron once said- David Griffin is still the GM of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, bad is better than awful. lol
fair enough

Kuzma is the one that really surprises me --- i thought he would really benefit from being around LeBron % and efficiency wise and he has gone the other way.

his volume has been substantial, but I really thought hed be better than 32% from 3.

Ingram surprises me that he is below 30%, but I knew that his near 40% last year was fool's gold. I figured hed be somewhere between 31-34%.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its pretty clear Griffin saw the writing on the wall that LeBron was out the door. I think Griffin wanted final say over the roster to move forward with a rebuild and Gilbert would not give it to him.

I wish Griffin was still here as i think he is a good GM, and i think he could have gotten a better Kyrie deal done, but rest be assured- if David Griffin thought LeBron was ending is career in Cleveland like LeBron once said- David Griffin is still the GM of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

You may very well be right about that.

But the article also said that Gilbert has never extended a GM. So, if that's true, not sure what that's about with him?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said if LeBron had approached this season completely different it completely changes the narrative. If he comes in and says "hey we have a lot of young pieces with upside and the plan is by year two we are competing for titlles" then it takes a little pressure off. It actually builds a plan. The team doesn't panic and try to mortgage all their pieces for AD and you can evaluate at year end what you want to do.

Sure maybe the parts on the Lakers are more talented that what the Cavs had last year but obviously that's the East and despite all the moves the Cavs had vets and their pieces complimented each other and LeBron moreso.
As long as it's not Kidd, Fish....

Would you be opposed to Ollie?

I liked the idea back when he was a hot candidate. Not sure now that he's claiming racism was involved in his firing, without knowing much about the situation, I might steer away.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson was seen at the Lakers facility earlier this season.....

*Puts hands in pockets and walks away whistling*

Antithesis of modern NBA though...not sure what he helps at this point.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may very well be right about that.

But the article also said that Gilbert has never extended a GM. So, if that's true, not sure what that's about with him?
well he has only been the owner for what? 12 years?

He had a guy he inherited- Paxson, and then Grant and Griffin.

its not like he has been here for 30 years and has had 10 gms.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Antithesis of modern NBA though...not sure what he helps at this point.
yah Phil Jackson was too lazy to be the "President" of the Knicks- he would barely show up.

I dont think you could convince Phil Jackson to even attend 50 NBA games, let alone coach 80 games. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fair enough

Kuzma is the one that really surprises me --- i thought he would really benefit from being around LeBron % and efficiency wise and he has gone the other way.

his volume has been substantial, but I really thought hed be better than 32% from 3.

Ingram surprises me that he is below 30%, but I knew that his near 40% last year was fool's gold. I figured hed be somewhere between 31-34%.

Yeah, Kuzma has been good, but like you said, a lot seems to be volume.

The Lakers have streaky 3 point shooters. It's why they have the game vs. the Celtics where they were what? 22-41? And then have games where they are awful from 3.

Hopefully, Bullock and Muscala can help even that out some.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well he has only been the owner for what? 12 years?

He had a guy he inherited- Paxson, and then Grant and Griffin.

its not like he has been here for 30 years and has had 10 gms.

True. Griffin might be the first one that was worth keeping.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Kuzma has been good, but like you said, a lot seems to be volume.

The Lakers have streaky 3 point shooters. It's why they have the game vs. the Celtics where they were what? 22-41? And then have games where they are awful from 3.

Hopefully, Bullock and Muscala can help even that out some.
I mean that Boston win was so huge--- if you lose that you go into the break with a 5 game losing streak

and think about how hot you were from 3 in that game.

The Lakers hit an INSANE 22 3's in that game, they were 22/41 for a 53.7% from 3 in that game, and it took a last second game winner to win it.

I would imagine the record of teams that shoot over 50% from 3, and the record for teams that hit 20 3's in a game or more is overwhelmingly amazing.

It was a great win, and in my mind it might have saved their season- but to escape with a razor thin margin of victory when you have one of those crazy nights from 3 is troubling if you ask me.