• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018-2019 NBA Regular Season Thread

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not his fault.

The timeline completely changed the moment they signed LeBron.

This is not the job he was hired to do.

But, fair or not...

He probably needs to go.

There is a problem though....

Like @shopson67 said: There really isn't a obvious replacement.

You fire him and promote Shaw?

Bring in Ty Lue, Kidd, Fish?

Pass, pass, HARD PASS.

Phil Jackson was seen at the Lakers facility earlier this season.....

*Puts hands in pockets and walks away whistling*

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,227.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who would be the perfect fit in Orlando or Phoenix for 1-2 seasons (but it ain't happening)?

Rondo.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't love the Corbett pick to be honest. Id call them misses at this point.

Peppers made some serious strides last year I agree.

The Kizer pick is only not a miss because Dorsey flipped it lol

Honestly my biggest issue with Sashi is he wouldn't have made a move like grabbing Jarvis
But that is at best speculation, and unfounded. He traded for Jamie Collins. He cleared all that room and added picks so they could make moves like that.

Kizer was a risk worth taking. There was no Baker yet and we are talking about taking a QB once projected to go #1 at 52. And another team thought enough of him to trade a former first rounder.

If we are talking just draft picks, Dorsey has missed on more than Sashi. But I like having him here.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question:

Have you allowed yourself to entertain the thought that you may not get Zion?

I'm not trolling.

I'm asking because almost every member of your fandom seems to have pinned their hopes for the future on landing this one guy.

Would you be upset if you ended up with Barrett?

I mean, everyone knew LeBron was the prize of the 2003 draft class.

But, could the Heat really be upset that they landed D Wade?

That's how I see Ja and Barrett.

As long as you don't get the Darko, you good.

I have. I actually like quite a few players in the draft and including others on duke. I want the #1 pick, but sometimes you can end up with a Wade type player at 3 or 4, so not getting it, is not the end of the world. I think the Knicks would be more unhappy if they don't get the #1 pick tbh lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Mingo his pick at 6 in the 2013 draft? Hated that pick.
Gilbert at 8 for 2014. Hated that pick
Wasn't a big fan of Erving at 19 from FSU in 2015.
Not too mention the trainwreck in Manziel along with Corey "drops every ball" Coleman.

He did have some late round picks that worked out thought. Bitonio in the 2nd was a really good pick. Duke in the 3rd. Schobert in the 4th.

I have a feeling he would have fell flat on his face in this past draft though and it looks like Dorsey hit a couple BIG homeruns
Mingo, Gilbert, Erving and Manziel were not his picks. Nor was Bitonio. Coleman and Shoebert were Sashi. As was Garrett, Ogunjobi, Njoku, Peppers. Ward was a pick he acquired, along with Chubb.

Not sure why you think he would not have taken Baker. The guy is an analytics' wet dream. Ton of starts, won a lot of games, incredibly high completion %, won/loss % and TD/INT ratio. Dorsey's other home runs (Ward and Chubb) as mentioned, were only because of picks Sashi acquired for him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he was with the Browns from 2013 to 2016. Yeah I guess Farmer made some of those but all those I named I hated, every single one and all 1st rounders. So frustrating
I agree, but if you like where we are today even if we could go back in time we should not change anything. Any change could alter where we are now....and maybe not for the better.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the football guys before him failed to do it becuase they were trying to win and not willing to sacrifice their careers

football is a little different than basketball in that way

a purposefully losing football team just gets its ass kicked physically and it wears on a team- i mean you saw it

i give Sashi credit for making that sacrifice. That is his biggest contribution- basically offering his good name up to be the scapegoat for absolutely sucking.

in the NFL its not hard to do what Sashi did- its just a huge personal sacrifice- one that likely ended any football career he had barely before it started--- and as i said- i give him credit for that- no doubt about it

but at the end of the day what he did was not tactically difficult.
Agree for the most part. But the guy gets ripped for making so many bad picks when he really only made one - Coleman. all the other bad picks mentioned here were made by "football guys".

with hindsight, it even looks like passing on Wentz turned out to be the right move, and certainly you can understand not wanting to use the #2 pick in the draft on a QB with an injury history from ND State when all those extra picks are badly needed on a stripped roster.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corey Coleman was also an AWFUL pick- almost as bad as Gilbert
agree, but you realize even the best of the best make bad picks, right? Not sure how old you are, but do you remember when Belichick, Ozzie, Dimitroff, Savage, Pioli, etc. were running our drafts?

They were not pretty. Coleman is a HOFer compared to Craig Powell.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good caption contest photo?

marcus_morris_usatsi_12152751.jpg

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I HIGHLY doubt that Sashi would have taken the gamble and taken Mayfield. He would have almost undoubtedly taken Darnold or Allen.--- probably Darnold
Are you joking? If you believe they were all about analytics no chance they take guys who turn it over and/or have low completion %.

Baker is everything an analytics guy would want other than maybe being an inch too short.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe with the Lakers.

Otherwise, he could be a lead assistant a few places.

He seems well liked.

On a side note, do you think he SHOULD be a Head Coach again?

It Damn near killed him the last time.
Last comment has me wondering, too. I'm not sure he would want to be and lead assistant might be where he is best suited.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure there is.

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Gilbert wanted LeBron to commit. But LeBron was never willing to do that because he didn't trust Gilbert.

So when Gilbert failed to rehire Griffin and get those moves done, he lost any chance to get LeBron back. Gilbert knew what he signed up for to moment LeBron inked that first 1 and 1. While he won't admit it publically, Gilbert's moves indicate he wanted LeBron to move on.
Lebron joined a team whose GM is best known for duping a blind man, but he was gonna make his decision over a GM who is not even a GM anymore?

are you going to ignore Lebron signed a 2 and 1?

Gilbert said he has a deal to bring in PG but Lebron doesn't trust him? After he already overlooked The Letter and returned?

This is pretty simple.....Lebron wanted to be in LA. Gilbert cannot move Cleveland to the Pacific.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston's back is against the wall, too... they're scrapping on defense in a way they really haven't lately...

... piss and vinegar makes all the difference, who'd a thunk it?

Of course, the C's have been blowing it in 2nd halfs lately... so long way to go.
Not a Cavs' fan knocking Kyrie (well, I guess it is), but this team seems to play well so often without him......can't imagine they are better off without him though.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks beat the Nuggets at home.

They beat the Cavs at home.

They beat the Thunder at home.

They also beat the Cavs by 22 in Cleveland.

So you are comparing the Lakers to the Cavs? lol :pop2:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be fascinating to see how Lebron handles missing the playoffs in his prime. (IF it happens).

I am a solid Lebron fan. I always root for him.

But, part of me wants to see it, just for the sake of entertainment on message boards and talk radio.

I dont think I have ever seen a truly elite all time great (not just an allstar) in their absolute prime miss the playoffs.

Kobe 04-05