• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a loser attitude. If we can't win now then don't do anything

Blow me!

Now, you say, "if we can't win now then don't do anything" and that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Put DDJ out there for 2018 and see what transpires with all our young outfielders in the minors.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blow me!

Now, you say, "if we can't win now then don't do anything" and that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Put DDJ out there for 2018 and see what transpires with all our young outfielders in the minors.
right competing isn't important just play the season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges is going to do a segment this morning on the Rangers. Topics are, "pitching, pitching, pitching, and be careful about wanted Choo gone so badly."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FROM NORM:

Out of the 162 games started last year, 107 of those were started by guys no longer on the roster.

Salary sucks for Choo. Got it. But he also ranked 4th in both batting avg & HR, 3rd in on base percentage, 1st in walks, 2nd in runs and stole 12 outta 15.

Don't get excited about the CFer we picked up from the White Sox. He's skinny, has no power at all, doesn't steal based and doesn't walk at all either. Don't think he'll make the team.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FROM NORM:

Out of the 162 games started last year, 107 of those were started by guys no longer on the roster.

Salary sucks for Choo. Got it. But he also ranked 4th in both batting avg & HR, 3rd in on base percentage, 1st in walks, 2nd in runs and stole 12 outta 15.

Don't get excited about the CFer we picked up from the White Sox. He's skinny, has no power at all, doesn't steal based and doesn't walk at all either. Don't think he'll make the team.
Choo's offensive rankings on the team just shows we need better offensive production. It is more indicative of how bad our offense was than it is indicative of how good choo is. He isn't bad, but he shouldn't have ranked that high.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo's offensive rankings on the team just shows we need better offensive production. It is more indicative of how bad our offense was than it is indicative of how good choo is. He isn't bad, but he shouldn't have ranked that high.

Yes and no. I agree with the BA/HR part for sure. But he's still a very valuable "get on base guy, work the pitcher, and walk player." Notice Norm nor I brought up his defense. ha ha

But overall, I think you're point is pretty solid and well taken.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FROM NORM:

When you compare Tocci's offense when he played in the Sally league with our best CF prospect while he was in the Sally league Tocci compares favorably.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daniels says time on Rangers’ side as winter meetings close, prospects sought

The fourth pick, outfielder Carlos Tocci, was made some 10 minutes later by the Chicago White Sox, and that turned into the Texas Rangers’ biggest acquisition of the annual winter meetings.

The Rangers traded for Tocci, the kind of defensive-minded center fielder they said they were seeking, for cash. He barely played above Double A while in the Philadelphia Phillies’ organization, but general manager Jon Daniels twice said how excited the Rangers are to have him.

The buzz surrounding a potential Zack Greinke deal has died down, though the Rangers continue to talk to Arizona. The Rangers have not contacted the Tampa Bay Rays about the availability of right-hander Chris Archer and Jake Odorizzi, according to a source.

Daniels said that his preference is to hold prospects this off-season, but cautioned that there would be exceptions. The Rangers don’t want to send prospects for Greinke, but could if it reduced dollars they would take on. Archer almost certainly would be for prospects.

Multiple dots continue to connect to a reunion with Yu Darvish, and Jake Arrieta makes a lot of sense, too. Once again, though, the Rangers are saying that they have a budget they must obey.

That all sounds ominous, but Daniels doesn’t seem worried. He knows that his biggest off-season acquisitions have come in the three weeks after the winter meetings, and a few beyond that.

He still has two months before pitchers and catchers report to spring training.

“To this point, we’ve acquired three or four guys via free agency and a young outfield option,” Daniels said. “We’ve got some more work to do. I’m glad we’ve been able to add the pieces we have to this point.

“It’s still a work in progress.”