• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Texas Rangers offseason thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard someone - don't remember the station or person - saying Chad Levine has an incredible good relationship with Yu and he expected the Twins to sign him.

But he's throwing balls around with Kershaw and lives in Dallas, so there is that.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD talks like he didn't expect some of the free agents that were signed to be paid as much as they were. If that is the case then he needs to start doing a better job at knowing what to expect. That is what he gets paid the big bucks for. Know what things are going to cost and either get ownership to agree to those kind of prices or go down a rebuilding path. Don't try to straddle the fence. Either spend what it takes or rebuild.

That is the same thing I wanted them to decide after the 2013 season and they straddled the fence then and we haven't recovered from that offseason yet. Instead of signing the big bats available then they went after an aging Choo and traded for a declining Prince.

Choose one way or the other and quit walking down the middle of the road.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard someone - don't remember the station or person - saying Chad Levine has an incredible good relationship with Yu and he expected the Twins to sign him.

But he's throwing balls around with Kershaw and lives in Dallas, so there is that.

Darvish is the Twins #1 target and there is a lot linking the two.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new sheriff in town

Exactly.....new regime (Levine), new set of rules and wants.

Let's not forget, the Twins have a pretty darn good team. It just ain't such a sexy place to sign/play.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ya heard right pardner

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Greinke with Choo going to Snakes pending other details. Just thinking that frees up Calhoun and we could slide DeShields to LF and maybe pick up a guy like Dyson. DDJ could improve on his reads but his speed was surely very good. Arm is what bugs me

What we do with Profar is quite interesting. Definitely pitching is always in the forefront and without that probably best to go with DeShields

I just don't see the D-Backs having any real use for Choo, he's a DH at this point and is pretty useless in the field

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the D-Backs having any real use for Choo, he's a DH at this point and is pretty useless in the field

Yeah I think the only way a deal gets Choo moved, is if a 3rd team (AL) is involved and we eat lots of $

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think the only way a deal gets Choo moved, is if a 3rd team (AL) is involved and we eat lots of $
Not thinking Choo gets moved so we better enjoy his OBP because that may be all we see for a long time.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not thinking Choo gets moved so we better enjoy his OBP because that may be all we see for a long time.

I have no problem with that, too many non-productive ABs in this lineup

Deshields - CF
Choo - DH
Andrus - SS
Beltre - 3B
Maz - RF
Gallo - 1B
Calhoun - LF
Chirinos - C
Odor - 2B

Play someone like Rua against the occasional LHP, considering we're so LH heavy, it's pretty hard to split them up effectively

Don't mind Guzman spending at least some time in AAA, needs to work on getting some lift in that swing, only 12 HRs last year in 125 games

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get that but it is about a money purge so they can sign JD Martinez. Probably lopsided trade that now has fizzled

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think bad contract for bad contract is the route. Choo can still perform but he is currently overpaid

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re rule 5 pickup. I heard he may pitch some. Also a pure defensive replacement with great speed. We might be able to make use of him on the roster. I hate losing the pitcher to Astros though. I hope they return him.

Still with Alberto signed we have options in the infield in case we trade Profar.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re rule 5 pickup. I heard he may pitch some. Also a pure defensive replacement with great speed. We might be able to make use of him on the roster. I hate losing the pitcher to Astros though. I hope they return him.

Still with Alberto signed we have options in the infield in case we trade Profar.
I think the one we lost is the one who played outfield and pitched both.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD talks like he didn't expect some of the free agents that were signed to be paid as much as they were. If that is the case then he needs to start doing a better job at knowing what to expect. That is what he gets paid the big bucks for. Know what things are going to cost and either get ownership to agree to those kind of prices or go down a rebuilding path. Don't try to straddle the fence. Either spend what it takes or rebuild.

That is the same thing I wanted them to decide after the 2013 season and they straddled the fence then and we haven't recovered from that offseason yet. Instead of signing the big bats available then they went after an aging Choo and traded for a declining Prince.

Choose one way or the other and quit walking down the middle of the road.
More likely he knew what the prices would be and is just using that as a crutch in case he doesn't land anyone

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you guys expect the Rangers to make an all out effort for Bryce Harper a year from now?

Dec. 15: USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that the Nationals say the conversations about Harper were casual, and they fully expect Harper to test free agency next winter. The Nats still hope to re-sign Harper, he adds, but they seemingly don’t expect to be able to do so without him first exploring the open market.